Articles by Joseph Lazzaro
- US Jobless Claims Surge 78,000 To 439,000 On Hurricane Sandy
November 15 2012 9:06 AM
U.S. initial jobless claims rocketed 78,000 higher to 439,000 -- a surge largely triggered by the impact of Hurricane Sandy, the U.S. Labor Department announced Thursday.
- Pelosi To Remain House Minority Leader
November 14 2012 10:30 AM
U.S. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., will head the House Democratic caucus for at least two more years, her office announced Wednesday, the Washington Post reported.
- Top US Commander In Afghanistan Under Investigation In Petraeus Scandal
November 13 2012 8:08 AM
The top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, General John Allen, is under investigation for alleged inappropriate communication with a woman at the center of the scandal involving former CIA Director David Petraeus.
- Euro Zone Crisis: Europe Now Experiencing Sub-National Demands For Political Autonomy
November 11 2012 4:32 PM
The EU is now witnessing regional demands for greater political autonomy secession – demands that can only weaken continental unity.
- CIA Director Petraeus Resigns
November 09 2012 3:09 PM
CIA Director Petraeus has resigned, due to an extramarital affair, The AP reported Friday. Details to follow.
- Election Coverage: Obama Reelected
November 06 2012 5:56 PM
Obama has been reelected. Ohio put the Democrat over the 270 electoral vote threshold. Check back with the live blog for the latest updates.
- Gas Shortage: Hurricane Sandy Reveals US’s Vulnerability To Gasoline/Diesel Supply Disruption
November 03 2012 4:28 PM
First, the U.S. must help every person hurt by Hurricane Sandy. Second, the nation must end its gasoline/diesel supply vulnerability.
- Apple Quarterly Revenue Meets Forecasts, iPad Disappoints
October 25 2012 5:17 PM
Apple Inc. reported quarterly revenue that met Wall Street expectations even as iPad sales disappointed. Trading in the stock was halted after hours.
- Syria Accepts Holiday Truce, Russia Says
October 25 2012 11:22 AM
The government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has indicated to Russia that it will accept U.N.-Arab League peace envoy Lakhdar Brahimi's proposal for a Muslim holiday ceasefire.
- Fed Maintains QE3, Inflation Up Slightly
October 24 2012 2:24 PM
The Federal Reserve on Wednesday stuck to its plan to keep stimulating the U.S. economy until the job market improves and repeated its vow to keep rates near zero until mid-2015.
- Armstrong Stripped Of 7 Tour de France Titles
October 22 2012 9:05 AM
Lance Armstrong was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles and banned for life on Monday after the International Cycling Union (UCI).
- Will Oil Prices Fall Substantially In The Coming Year?
October 20 2012 3:18 PM
At $90, oil's price remains painfully high. But are we about to experience a gradual easing in crude's price?
- Jobless Rates Fall In Most US Swing States
October 19 2012 1:50 PM
The unemployment rate declined in September in most "swing" or battleground states for the U.S. presidential election, the U.S. DOL announced Friday.
- George McGovern No Longer Responsive: Family
October 17 2012 3:46 PM
Former Senator and Democratic presidential candidate George McGovern is "no longer responsive" and surrounded by family at a hospice center in Sioux Falls, S.D., his family said on Wednesday.
- US Supreme Court Upholds Ohio's Early Voting
October 16 2012 1:04 PM
The U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday denied Ohio's request to curtail early voting in the state leading up to the Nov. 6 presidential election.
- Netanyahu Denies Report Of Golan, Syria Deal
October 12 2012 10:59 AM
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu denied a newspaper report on Friday that said he had agreed in principle to hand back land annexed from Syria as part of secret U.S.-mediated peace talks that broke off last year.
- 1 Russian Punk Rocker Freed, 2 Others Still Held
October 10 2012 9:39 AM
A member of punk band Pussy Riot was freed on appeal on Wednesday but a Moscow court upheld prison sentences for two others imposed over a raucous cathedral protest against Vladimir Putin, who said they had got the jail terms they deserved.
- EADS, BAE Call Off Aviation/Defense Merger
October 10 2012 9:03 AM
EADS and BAE Systems called off the world's largest defense and aviation merger on Wednesday, and sources close to the talks blamed Germany for wrecking the $45 billion deal.
- Chevron Fails To Block $18.2B Ecuador Judgment
October 09 2012 3:59 PM
Chevron Corp. on Tuesday lost a U.S. Supreme Court bid to block an $18.2 billion judgment against it in Ecuador in a case over pollution in the Amazon jungle.
- Obama, Romney Now Tied At 45%: Reuters/Ipsos Poll
October 09 2012 3:03 PM
Republican Mitt Romney has erased President Barack Obama's advantage in the race for the White House and the two candidates are now tied among likely voters, according to a Reuters/Ipsos tracking poll released on Tuesday.