Articles by Joseph Orovic
- Michael Phelps vs. Ryan Lochte: Where To Watch Swimming’s Biggest Rivalry During London 2012 Olympics
July 25 2012 6:48 PM
Swimming is among the hottest tickets at the summer Olympics, and no races will be more closely watched than the two events that will pit Michael Phelps against Ryan Lochte. The duo have spent the better part of three years besting each other in various events, but this Olympics look to compete head-to-head in only two events. Here's what to watch for, and where to watch it.
- Ice-T Opposes Gun Control, Calls Firearms ‘Defense Against Tyranny’ [VIDEO]
July 24 2012 4:43 PM
Rapper Ice-T threw a bit of cold water on anti-gun activists during an interview with Channel 4’s Krishnan Guru-Murthy, defending the Second Amendment right to bear arms.
- Google Doodle Celebrates Amelia Earhart’s 115th Birthday, 80 Years After Crossing The Atlantic
July 24 2012 12:21 PM
Google honored Amelia Earhart’s 115th birthday by gracing its homepage with a drawing of aviator boarding a Lockheed Vega 5B monoplane, which she used to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean in 1932. The birthday celebration appears to be a bittersweet, appropriate commemoration on the heels of first female astronaut Sally Ride’s death on Monday.
- Chief Joseph War Shirt Sold For $877,500 In Auction
July 23 2012 4:22 PM
Chief Joseph has never been much of a fashion icon, but that didn’t stop one Native American artifact collector from shelling out $877,500 for a war shirt worn by the Nez Perce tribe leader. The buyer is a private collector whose identity was not revealed.
- WWF Report Ranks Vietnam Worst Country For Species Protection
July 23 2012 9:37 AM
The World Wildlife Fund, or WWF, ranked Vietnam the worst country for wildlife protection among 23 nations assessed for enforcement and protection of species prone to poachers, such as rhinos, elephants and tigers. (Check out the full report and list here).
- Protests Follows Anaheim Mini-Riot After Police Clash, Fire Rubber Bullets At Residents [VIDEO]
July 22 2012 6:38 PM
Angry locals and police clashed in Anaheim, Calif., Saturday evening after cops shot and killed a suspect, prompting a confrontation involving riot-control gear. Residents plan to protest what they claim is growing and unwarranted aggression by the cops and lackluster reviews of police shootings.
- Katherine Jackson Reported Missing: Location Of Michael Jackson’s Mother Still Uncertain As Family Feud Continues
July 22 2012 2:21 PM
Michael Jackson’s mother Katherine Jackson has been reported missing, according to the L.A. County Sheriff’s office, although her son Jermaine contends the family’s matriarch is fine. The entire ordeal appears to be part of some intra-family fighting that has gone public.
- Provigil: Narcolepsy Drug Becomes New Brain Boost For Professionals
July 19 2012 11:42 AM
Narcolepsy drug Provigil has gained popular use among many who lack the sleep disorder needed to be prescribed the drug. The medication for adults has been referred to as “Viagra for the mind” by users who have fallen in love with its grey matter-boosting properties.
- Nazis Planned To Kill Winston Churchill With Exploding Chocolate Bars
July 19 2012 9:47 AM
The Nazis planned to kill Sir Winston Church with exploding chocolate bars, according to recently unveiled wartime documents. The portly British Prime Minister was known for delving into the good life, with fine cigars, brandy and a voracious sweet tooth.
- Chick-Fil-A President Dan Cathy Says He’s ‘Guilty As Charged’ On Anti-Gay Stance
July 18 2012 1:54 PM
Chick-Fil-A President Dan Cathy responded to accusations that he’s a homophobe by saying he’s “guilty as charged,” in an interview with the Baptist Press. The accusations arose after it was revealed the company has thrown its weight behind strong anti-gay organizations such as Focus On The Family and the Pennsylvania Family Institute.
- Jonah Falcon, Man With World?s Largest Penis, Undergoes Intense Security Screening At Airport
July 17 2012 1:22 PM
Jonah Falcon drew the suspicions of airport security guards, who thought the 41-year-old may have been trying to carry a weapon on board a plane. One problem: the suspicious object was his rather large penis.
- Lobster Prices In Maine Hit 30-Year Low, Crushing Lobstermen
July 16 2012 4:58 PM
If you're a big fan of boiling expensive crustaceans, you're in luck. Lobster prices have hit a 30-year low in some areas of Maine, as unusually warm temperatures have increased the number of the glorified crabs available. Retail prices may soon follow, but don't expect them to match the 70 percent drop at the docks.
- Minecraft ‘Impersonation’ Exploit Allows Users To Access Other Accounts
July 15 2012 5:34 PM
Had a rough time playing Minecraft Sunday? There’s a reason why. A security flaw in Minecraft that allowed users to sign into strangers’ accounts was exposed by security researchers Alex Vanderport and Keegan Novik when the Team Avolition duo posted a detailed advisory about the snafu on GitHub Saturday.
- Oscar-Winning Actress Celeste Holm, Of ‘Gentleman’s Agreement’ And ‘All About Eve,’ Dies At 95
July 15 2012 4:19 PM
Oscar-winning actress Celeste Holm died on Sunday at home in New York at the age of 95. The actress was known for her work in Hollywood movies and in Broadway shows, but she will be best remembered for her Oscar-winning turn in Gentleman's Agreement.
- Gay Couple’s Picture Misused For Anti-Gay Campaign Ad In Colorado
July 15 2012 11:48 AM
A photo from a New Jersey gay couple's engagement party has landed an anti-gay union organization in hot water, after it used the photo without permission in a political attack ad against a pro-civil union Republican in Colorado.
- Jessica Alba Gets Camera-Happy, Tweets Her Vacation In Italy [PHOTOS]
July 12 2012 5:18 PM
Actress Jessica Alba is so taken by her Italian vacation she’s gone bonkers with Instagram and Twitter, posting 19 photos of her jaunt to the boot-shaped country to date.
- Yahoo Password Hack: Where To Find A List Of Hacked Email Accounts
July 12 2012 4:34 PM
Hackers responsible for the massive security breach of over 450,000 Yahoo! accounts published on Thursday a complete list of the email addresses and passwords they compromised.
- Zsa Zsa Gabor?s Husband Granted Temporary Conservatorship Of Actress?s Affairs, Daughter Keeps Visitation Rights
July 12 2012 10:39 AM
Zsa Zsa Gabor?s ninth husband, Frederic von Anhalt, won a minor legal victory in his ongoing feud with the ailing actress?s daughter, Constance Francesca Hilton, when a Los Angeles judge approved an agreement that gives the 69-year-old conservatorship over the ailing actress?s non-monetary affairs for the next six months.
- Justin Bieber?s 911 Call Released; Cops Were ?Like, Not Being Nice?
July 11 2012 5:28 PM
Justin Bieber's 911 call was released, revealing an attempt to report paparazzi following the Biebs on a Los Angeles freeway on Friday night. The tape reveals a distraught teen, upset that he was being chased around by photogs and also complaining that police officers were like, not being nice.
- Xena Body Armor Inspires New Military Combat Uniform For Women
July 11 2012 2:40 PM
The days of boxy body protection will eventually be over for the United States? female warriors, as the nation?s armed forces are developing a new style of form-fitting body armor similar to the busty bronze get-up worn by ?Xena: Warrior Princess,? that curves at the chest and hips.