- China Economic Slowdown Impacts Reach Africa
April 26 2014 5:26 PM
“Too much of Africa’s recent prosperity depends on China’s own continued prosperity and rapid growth,” says one expert.
- Multinational Brands Tap Africa's Growing Social Media Scene
April 24 2014 2:26 PM
A new study has found that global brands are taking advantage of an evolving social media scene to reach customers in Africa.
- Russia May Price Oil Exports In Roubles: Economist
April 24 2014 9:22 AM
Russia has threatened to do the same in previous east-west spats, but each time failed to follow-through.
- Startups Narrowing Africa’s Education Gap With Mobile Tech
April 23 2014 3:28 PM
A handful of startups have created new learning platforms based entirely on mobile phone technology in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Why Caterpillar's Quarterly Report Is Expected To Show Modest Improvement
April 23 2014 7:36 AM
One key analyst says equipment demand will remain adequate in 2014, despite challenging mining sector conditions.
- Why Bad Weather Won't Hurt Starbucks Q2 Earnings
April 23 2014 5:49 AM
Analysts also predict the global cafe giant will post 11 percent revenue growth in the most recent quarter.
- Slowdown In Global Shipping -- Sign Of Deflation?
April 17 2014 6:43 PM
While the Baltic Dry Shipping Index has long been considered a predictor of the global economy, the drop isn't as foreboding as it seems.
- Angola Moving Into Oil's Big Leagues
April 16 2014 5:37 PM
After decades of turmoil, Angola is on the verge of catapulting to the top ranks of the world’s energy economy.
- Why Diagnosing Malaria Could Be A Billion-Dollar Business
April 16 2014 5:41 AM
A startup has attracted attention from multinationals and the U.S. Navy for a malaria-diagnosing device that costs pennies per person.
- Nasdaq Drop Doesn't Presage Weak Earnings From Established Tech Companies
April 15 2014 2:54 PM
Despite the Nasdaq's tumble last week, the tech stock situation isn't nearly as bad as people think.
- 'Dubailand': Middle East Developers Welcome Six Flags Theme Park Project
April 12 2014 11:33 AM
Youthful demographics are fueling growth in the region's leisure and entertainment sector.
- How To Tell If Your Cell Phone Is Made With Conflict Minerals
April 11 2014 5:45 AM
The U.S. SEC now requires registered companies to report the presence of conflict metals in their supply chains.
- A Stable Quebec Is Good For Investors, Analysts Say
April 09 2014 6:31 PM
The Canadian province of Quebec now has majority Liberal leadership, and the business community is relieved.
- Nigeria Energy Company Seplat's IPO Is One For The Record Books
April 09 2014 1:53 PM
The IPO - dually listed on London and Lagos exchanges - raised 300.9 million pounds, or roughly $500 million.
- Amid Rhino Poaching Epidemic, Officials Weigh Best Policies To End It
April 09 2014 9:08 AM
Rhinoceros poaching in Africa is on the rise, and experts debate whether legalizing trade in their horns could help save the animals.
- Ethiopia And Egypt Clash Over Massive Dam
April 08 2014 11:26 AM
International groups have asked Ethiopian officials to examine the plant's environmental impact, but to-date a report has not been produced.
- 'Help Wanted' Sign Posted For Booming Nigerian Economy
April 07 2014 5:04 PM
Nigeria is officially the largest economy in Africa, and multinationals are investing in talent from the diaspora to keep things moving.
- 'Inequality Has Been Rising' In Africa's New Top Economy
April 07 2014 10:42 AM
Nigeria has just displaced South Africa as the world's most robust economy, but problems persist.
- How To Reach Out To Africa's Booming Middle Class - Via Text
April 04 2014 8:09 PM
One enterprising computer scientist is using mobile phones for communication and compensation.
- Emerging Markets Still Growing Despite This Country's Slowdown
April 04 2014 7:12 AM
The IMF's World Economic Outlook for 2014 warns that emerging market growth will be slow in the future.