Articles by Laura Matthews
- US House Still Opposed To Funding CDC's Gun Violence Research
April 22 2014 3:17 PM
Republicans say the CDC's gun violence prevention research will get no funding in FY 2015, and gun control advocates aren't happy.
- In South Carolina, It's Students Vs. Lawmakers On Gay-Themed Books
April 21 2014 11:52 AM
South Carolina students are rebelling against lawmakers trying to cut funds because gay-themed books are on the curriculum.
- Rob Ford Launches Re-election Bid With Populist Message
April 18 2014 1:51 PM
Ford says he has learned his lesson since the scandals and asks for a second chance to lower taxes and fight against elitists.
- Clinton's Favorability Hits 6-Year Low
April 18 2014 12:22 PM
The former secretary of state's favorability rating is still higher than those of her potential 2016 presidential GOP challengers.
- Republicans Sink Texas 'Boats 'N Hoes' PAC
April 17 2014 4:35 PM
The Texas fundraising group's name started a political war between Republicans and Democrats vying for women voters.
- Christie Ahead Among Republicans For 2016, But Barely
April 17 2014 1:00 PM
The New Jersey governor is beating the Republican competition, but he loses to Hillary Clinton in a hypothetical matchup.
- North Dakota's 'Heartbeat' Abortion Law Found Unconstitutional
April 16 2014 5:45 PM
A U.S. district court judge says the Supreme Court has already legalized abortions up to a certain point.
- Out Of Office, Bloomberg Gets Even Tougher With NRA
April 16 2014 1:35 PM
Bloomberg's grassroots group will use the NRA's single-minded, single-issue strategy to take on the gun lobby.
- The Bible Could Soon Become Louisiana's Official Book
April 15 2014 5:06 PM
Louisiana state lawmakers want to make the Holy Bible the state's official symbol.
- ACLU Sues Michigan To Recognize Same-Sex Marriages
April 15 2014 1:46 PM
The ACLU of Michigan says same-sex couples who wed last month in the state's historic ceremony are being treated as "second-class" citizens.
- How Senate GOP's Block Of Paycheck Fairness Act Could Haunt Party In November
April 09 2014 1:26 PM
Senate Republicans say no again to a law meant to help close the gender wage gap.
- Deportations Hit Minor Offenders, Not Serious Criminals, Say Immigration Advocates
April 08 2014 3:18 PM
Independent studies appear to support complaints of a heavy-handed approach to deporting undocumented immigrants.
- Here's Where Jeb Bush And Other GOP Hopefuls Stand On The Issues
April 08 2014 6:06 AM
As Chris Christie's clout fades, several Republicans are maneuvering. From the Tea Party favorites to moderates, here's where they stand.
- Obamacare Now 'Hip'? Not Quite
April 07 2014 12:06 PM
However, Gallup data indicates that Republicans may have to adjust their strategy from the current all-out attack on health care reform.
- Sarah Palin vs. Paul Ryan's Budget: 'It's Trouble For Our Nation'
April 04 2014 11:31 AM
Ryan may be the Republican budget expert, but movement conservatives may sink his budget in the Republican-controlled House.
- Talk Radio Hosts Gather Against Immigration Reform - And Boehner
April 03 2014 2:37 PM
They've derailed immigration reform before. Now conservative radio hosts plan to do it again -- this time fighting some of their own.
- Where Things Are At With Minimum Wage Increase
April 02 2014 9:01 PM
Coalitions across the country are ready to put a minimum wage increase to voters as Congress remains indecisive on the issue.
- Paul Ryan's Surprising Enemy: Budget Conservatives
April 02 2014 3:23 PM
The Republican budget maven put out a proposal loaded with cuts. But that is not enough for spending hawks on the right, who called it a joke.
- Obamacare Site Struggles Amid Last-Minute Crush
March 31 2014 2:03 PM
The administration says record traffic from first-time users is the cause of Monday's technical problems.
- Immigration Advocates Hope Obama Will Act, But Will He?
March 28 2014 4:04 PM
Reform supporters say they have one last chance to get something done this year: the president. They may be disappointed.