Articles by Laura Matthews
- Donald Trump To Conservatives: Be Careful On Immigration
March 06 2014 5:24 PM
The tycoon went for fear-mongering, even though experts from all sides have found no evidence that immigrants are stealing jobs from Americans.
- LaPierre: Conservatives Are Under Siege By IRS, 'Lying' Media
March 06 2014 4:01 PM
The NRA leader says the media "hates" his organization, but gun owners will never "submit nor surrender."
- Christie To CPAC: Conservative Ideas Are Better, So Let's Show Them
March 06 2014 1:21 PM
The New Jersey governor tells conservatives that to stop looking like obstructionists, they need to start talking about what they support.
- A Cybersecurity Campus To Get Tough On Digital Criminals
March 05 2014 2:24 PM
The president's budget proposes pouring billions into Homeland Security and other agencies to support cyber initiatives.
- President Obama's New Focus For Immigration Reform
March 04 2014 9:53 PM
Among the new ideas - a bed mandate reduction and keeping a program to deputize local and state law enforcement in the immigration process.
- Paul Ryan On 2015 Obama Budget: 'A Campaign Brochure'
March 04 2014 1:24 PM
The House Budget chairman isn't impressed with the president's proposal, to say the least.
- Here's The Message In President Obama's 2015 Budget
March 04 2014 5:43 AM
In an election year, it's all about messaging, and Obama has quite a few for Republicans in his proposed 2015 budget.
- Is The Pentagon Wasting Billions By Retiring A-10 Jet?
March 01 2014 6:52 PM
Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel wants to kill the slow, 40-year old plane, but its fans say it does the job better than anything else.
- Texas - A New Battleground State?
February 27 2014 4:50 PM
Texas could be in-play, like Florida, immigration advocates found, but only if Latino voters head to the polls.
- Boehner On Tax Reform Draft: Just A 'Conversation Starter'
February 27 2014 12:55 PM
Reforming the tax code is hard, says John Boehner, who wouldn't endorse his own caucus member's overhaul proposal.
- Dave Camp's Tax Reform Gets Thumbs Up From Some Businesses
February 26 2014 5:19 PM
A Republican congressman has an idea for tax reform that went over well with businesses. But it may be a nonstarter in Congress.
- Republicans Still Want To Thwart Obama's Alleged Overreach
February 26 2014 3:41 PM
Republicans want to hit Obama where it hurts: his use of executive power on Obamacare and immigration. But it's unclear whether he overstepped.
- Obama's Use Of Powers On Trial At Judiciary Panel
February 26 2014 6:09 AM
Obama recently declared that he will be using more executive action if Congress stalls his agenda.
- Did Chris Mapp Dig A Deeper Hole in Texas?
February 25 2014 12:24 PM
Mapp, a businessman, says he's plainspoken, and if Texans can't handle it then he's probably not the guy for them.
- Hagel Wants A Leaner, Cheaper US Department Of Defense
February 24 2014 5:11 PM
Defense Secretary Hagel says the U.S. will still be protected but the military will face some gaps in training and maintenance.
- This May Represent Obama's Best Second-Term Coalition
February 24 2014 12:30 PM
Still threatening to use his executive power sans action from Congress, Obama tells state executives he's ready to work with them on economic issues.
- Utah And Colorado Move To Make Smoking Age 21
February 21 2014 12:35 PM
It's the farthest these states have gone to prevent teens from picking up the hard-to-kick habit.
- Michele Bachmann: Americans 'Aren't Ready' For A Woman President
February 20 2014 3:29 PM
The Minnesota Republican who ran for president in 2012 also said guilt was the reason Americans elected President Obama.
- Utah Republican: Increase Carbon Dioxide, There Isn’t Enough For Plants
February 19 2014 12:09 PM
What greenhouse effect? Utah Rep. Jerry Anderson says we can go back to carbon dioxide levels not seen since the dinosaurs.
- Republicans On Immigration Reform: 'We Have To Get Past The Primaries'
February 19 2014 6:23 AM
Backlash from primary voters is keeping House Republicans' hands tied on an immigration reform bill.