Articles by Laura Matthews
- IRS Official To Take The 5th On Those Alleged 501 (c)(4)s
May 21 2013 4:48 PM
Lois Lerner, who heads the tax-exempt application division, sparked a media frenzy when she issued an apology May 10.
- IRS' Shulman: I Don't Know What Happened In Cincinnati
May 21 2013 11:18 AM
It's the first time lawmakers have questioned Shulman since the IRS scandal broke nearly two weeks ago.
- IRS Scandal - 4 Likely Tough Questions From Finance Committee
May 21 2013 8:48 AM
Not having to worry about re-election next year, Senate Finance Committee Chairman Baucus deepens the IRS probe.
- GOP: IRS Another Reason To Repeal Obamacare
May 20 2013 1:55 PM
Republicans say the IRS scandal is more reason to fear the agency's implementation of Obamacare. They may have a winner. Or not.
- Scandal Has Damaged IRS Reputation: Outgoing Commish
May 17 2013 9:26 AM
The U.S. House of Representatives Ways and Means Committee has begun getting to the bottom of the IRS targeting of conservative groups.
- 2M To Lose Food Stamps Because Of Farm Bill
May 16 2013 3:26 PM
The House Agriculture Committee passed its 2013 farm bill, a monster worth nearly a trillion dollars -- you read that right.
- How Obama Can Survive The Triple Storm of IRS, AP, Benghazi Scandals
May 15 2013 2:51 PM
Obama's second-term agenda is stalled by the controversies, but it remains to be seen what the longer-term effects might be.
- IRS Tea Party Scrutiny: What’s At Stake For Obama?
May 14 2013 2:22 PM
If there is no evidence the IRS was acting on an order from higher-ups, then the president may just walk away unscathed.
- Conservatives Suspect Bigger Cover-Up in IRS Scandal
May 14 2013 10:16 AM
TheTeaParty.net questions why the IRS gave an apology long after the first alarm sounded and ahead of an inspector general report.
- Read What The IRS Asked Tea Party Groups
May 14 2013 9:57 AM
Read the type of questions the Internal Revenue Service asked conservative groups seeking tax-exempt status.
- Why Gun Background Checks Will Never Pass The Senate
May 11 2013 10:44 AM
Gun control backers who are optimistic they'll fare better in Congress this time would be wise not to hold their breath.
- Analyst Who Argued Immigrants Have Lower IQ Leaves Heritage Foundation
May 10 2013 4:30 PM
Jason Richwine, a co-author of the Heritage Foundation's controversial report on immigration reform, resigned Friday.