Articles by Laura Matthews
- House Democrats Trying Every Tactic To Reform Immigration Policy
March 26 2014 4:30 PM
Democrats know it's a long shot, but they still want a debate and to vote on the issue.
- The Dems Attempt To Structure The Debate
March 26 2014 2:45 PM
Sen. Reid says they would rather work in a bipartisan manner, but failing that, they'll make it clear who stands with ordinary Americans.
- Charles And David Who?
March 25 2014 1:01 PM
Most Americans don't know who the Koch Brothers are, and few have a favorable impression of them.
- Regarding 2014, Nate Silver Has Bad News For The Democrats
March 24 2014 11:40 AM
Arguably the best election analyst of the early postmodern era says the data points to a slight GOP gain, but things could change.
- Immigration Reform Advocates To Obama: What Happened To 'Year Of Action?'
March 21 2014 4:19 PM
Obama's call for a deportation policy review is unnecessary to some advocates, who are still waiting for him to act unilaterally to stop deportations.
- Biden's Obamacare Sales Pitch
March 21 2014 1:00 PM
With the March 31 deadline approaching, the White House is making a last-ditch effort to increase Obamacare enrollment.
- Obama: 'I Want My Daughters To Have The Same Chances As Men'
March 20 2014 5:03 PM
Before the first White House Summit on Working families, the president urges Congress to pass the minimum-wage increase to help low-income women.
- Why Pelosi Is Unhappy With Obamacare (The Phrase, Not The Policy)
March 20 2014 12:58 PM
President Obama has used the word "Obamacare" before. But when a reporter said it on Thursday, Nancy Pelosi had to shut it down.
- Is Kansas About To Legalize Police Retaliation?
March 19 2014 2:53 PM
Kansas lawmakers want sworn affidavits from citizens filing law enforcement complaints and criminal charges if reports prove unfounded.
- It's On Between Dems, Republicans As Message War Heats Up
March 18 2014 3:58 PM
Republicans predict a "tsunami-type election" this fall. But Democrats think the biggest weapon they have is the Republican party itself.
- How GOP Admen Are Courting Women, Minorities
March 17 2014 5:29 PM
The Republican National Committee released ads spotlighting women and minorities, the majority of whom currently support Democrats.
- What Americans Think Of Health Care System, In Obamacare Era
March 17 2014 11:35 AM
Obamacare's website rollout was very poor, but American attitudes on the system overall may surprise you.
- Republicans Denounce Proposed Homeland Security Cuts
March 11 2014 7:58 PM
The proposed DHS budget cuts immigrant detention beds. House Republicans sent Secretary Johnson back with a message: Enforce the law.
- Michele Bachmann: Gays Bully Americans, Intimidate Politicians
March 11 2014 12:15 PM
The Minnesota Republican, still reeling from Arizona's anti-gay bill defeat, is really annoyed with the gay community.
- Obamacare Lowering Uninsured Rate: Gallup
March 10 2014 12:01 PM
What's more, open enrollment doesn't end until March 31, so the U.S. health care uninsured rate may fall further.
- Donald Trump To Conservatives: Be Careful On Immigration
March 06 2014 5:24 PM
The tycoon went for fear-mongering, even though experts from all sides have found no evidence that immigrants are stealing jobs from Americans.
- LaPierre: Conservatives Are Under Siege By IRS, 'Lying' Media
March 06 2014 4:01 PM
The NRA leader says the media "hates" his organization, but gun owners will never "submit nor surrender."
- Christie To CPAC: Conservative Ideas Are Better, So Let's Show Them
March 06 2014 1:21 PM
The New Jersey governor tells conservatives that to stop looking like obstructionists, they need to start talking about what they support.
- A Cybersecurity Campus To Get Tough On Digital Criminals
March 05 2014 2:24 PM
The president's budget proposes pouring billions into Homeland Security and other agencies to support cyber initiatives.
- President Obama's New Focus For Immigration Reform
March 04 2014 9:53 PM
Among the new ideas - a bed mandate reduction and keeping a program to deputize local and state law enforcement in the immigration process.