Articles by Laura Matthews
- Lew: Here's The Way To Avoid Another Debt Ceiling Crisis
November 19 2013 12:46 PM
The U.S. Treasury secretary has high hopes: a budget deal that mirrors Obama's blueprint and immediate work on the debt limit.
- Christie Discusses Hillary
November 19 2013 11:09 AM
Christie says he will decide in his own time if and when to run for president, but he has strategic advice for Republicans.
- Gov. Chris Christie: I'll Show You What Is Wrong With Washington
November 19 2013 9:14 AM
There's discord in Washington, D.C., and the New Jersey governor doesn't like it. So here's what he would do.
- At US Budget Talks, Dems And GOP Thinking Small
November 18 2013 12:39 PM
The bipartisan lawmaker group is moving at a snail's pace regarding a budget deal; but there won't be another gov shutdown. (Famous last words.)
- 'Keep Your Health Insurance' Bill Passes House
November 15 2013 1:59 PM
More than 30 Democrats helped Republicans pass the Obamacare fix, 261 to 157.
- US Rep. Gutierrez On Immigration Reform: We Need More Personal Stories
November 15 2013 1:47 PM
Advocates continue to push for their goal, despite Speaker Boehner saying he has no intention of conferencing the House and Senate immigration bills.
- Obama Lets Insurers Offer Cancelled Plans
November 14 2013 12:32 PM
However, insurance companies will be required to notify buyers of protection that won't be included in the plan.
- US Budget Negotiators Still Talking, But No Signs Of Progress (Yet)
November 13 2013 1:35 PM
Budget committee leaders have said they won’t waste time debating unresolved points, but will focus on where deals can be cut.
- How Low Can Congress' Job Approval Rating Go?
November 12 2013 4:47 PM
The previous low approval rating was 10 percent in 2012, according to Gallup. Now it's lower than that.
- Why US Immigration Reform May (Or May Not) Die In 2013
November 12 2013 3:48 PM
Optimists say immigration reform may happen in 2014 if not this year. But some say its chances of happening are nil in either case.
- Immigration Bill Isn't Dead 'Until We Say So,' Advocates Say
November 11 2013 4:10 PM
Republicans maintain there is little time left this year, but advocates say the House can pass reform if it wants to.
- Pelosi: Reach A US Budget By Thanksgiving
October 23 2013 12:41 PM
The House minority leader says this will give U.S. consumers confidence for the holiday season.
- Latest Obamacare Poll Result Is Not Good News For Opponents
October 23 2013 11:35 AM
In a Gallup poll, Republicans still dislike the law, but a slim majority of young people approve of it, among other findings.
- HealthCare.gov: 5 Best Pitches From Obama The Salesman
October 22 2013 2:56 PM
Obama defended his health-care law, claiming it's a good product with a website that's not up to speed but which is being improved.
- Rubio: 'Time For Proponents To Be Realistic' On US Immigration Reform
October 22 2013 12:57 PM
The Florida senator added Congress needs to focus on where there's agreement on immigration reform and avoid weaponizing the issue.
- Obama: Obamacare Website Will Be Fixed
October 21 2013 12:17 PM
The president did some damage control and offered assurances after the Obamacare website rollout was overshadowed by fiscal battles.
- Obama Says Immigration Reform Can And Should Happen This Year
October 17 2013 1:43 PM
After the shutdown and default deal, the president is bringing the focus back to immigration reform.
- Obama On Washington: 'How Business Is Done In This Town Has To Change'
October 17 2013 12:04 PM
The president praised Congress for ending the "twin threats," but added there "are no winners here."
- After The Shutdown Fight, Obama Wants Immigration Reform In 2013
October 16 2013 5:11 PM
Immigration reform will return to being a top priority of the president once the debt ceiling and government shutdown are resolved.
- US Senate Deal Reached To End Government Shutdown, Avert Default
October 16 2013 1:25 PM
Under the deal, the government will reopen until mid-January and the debt limit will be lifted until early February.