Articles by Laura Matthews
- Why House Republicans Are In No Rush To Pass Immigration Reform
July 03 2013 10:37 AM
A comprehensive immigration reform bill got an overwhelming vote in the Senate. And most likely, it will stay there.
- Democrats Blast 'Deal-Breaker' Piecemeal Immigration Bills
July 02 2013 5:58 PM
Immigration reform passed in the Senate may not fare as well in the House, where the two parties could not be more at odds.
- Tea Party To Boehner: Secure The Border
July 02 2013 2:21 PM
A Cincinnati tea party group wants an immigration border security bill "that has verification by local sheriffs."
- Rubio Could Steal Half Of Obama’s Latino Voters In 2016
July 02 2013 11:12 AM
The Florida Republican's work on the 2013 immigration reform bill could make half of Obama's Latino supporters change sides.
- Marco Rubio's Immigration-Reform Dilemma
June 28 2013 2:38 PM
The Florida Republican is betting that the immigration reform he supported will help him in 2016. Here's why he may be right -- or not.
- US Senate Passes Immigration-Reform Bill, 68-32
June 27 2013 4:30 PM
The legislation, which includes more than 1,000 pages, was written by four Democratic and four Republican senators.
- Senate Ends Debate On Immigration; Final Vote Near
June 27 2013 12:58 PM
Fourteen Republicans joined Democrats to invoke cloture on the 2013 immigration reform bill. A final vote could come at 4 p.m. today.
- Portman Won't Back Senate Immigration Reform Bill Without Tougher E-Verify Requirements
June 27 2013 11:38 AM
The GOP senator says the Senate must show the House it can insert tough measures in the immigration bill.
- Why The US House Doesn’t Have To Pass A 2013 Immigration Reform Bill
June 26 2013 2:46 PM
A Republican dilemma: The GOP must support immigration reform to win over Latinos. But House members are facing elections in 2014.
- US Senate Approves Border Surge Bill, 69-29
June 26 2013 1:34 PM
The Senate is now close to approving comprehensive immigration reform, after passing the border surge amendment Wed.
- US Supreme Court Prop 8 Decision Keeps Same-Sex Marriage Legal In California
June 26 2013 10:37 AM
Same-sex marriage remains legal in California, as the U.S. Supreme Court Tuesday decided it cannot take up California's Proposition 8.
- Hyatt Hotel Heiress Penny Pritzker Is New Commerce Secretary
June 25 2013 3:23 PM
The full U.S. Senate confirmed Obama's choice as Commerce secretary.
- US Supreme Court Strikes Down Key Section Of Voting Rights Act
June 25 2013 10:58 AM
The Justices said Congress must determine which states and localities may need closer monitoring of their elections.
- Border Surge Proviso Clears Senate In Win For Immigration Bill
June 24 2013 7:11 PM
An amendment to the immigration bill that would beef up security along the southern border has passed a key Senate test, 67-27.
- Brewer On Immigration Reform Bill: ‘I Only Support The Border Surge’
June 24 2013 5:07 PM
The Arizona governor said she is not endorsing the Senate's immigration reform bill but the border surge is a victory for her state.
- Arizona's Brewer Backs Gang of Eight's Immigration Bill
June 24 2013 2:30 PM
In supporting the immigration reform bill, the Republican governor says it's about time senators started talking about "the border surge."
- Supreme Court Sends Back Affirmative Action Case
June 24 2013 10:45 AM
The decision came after a 7-1 vote.
- US Drones Poor At Patrolling Southern Border
June 21 2013 3:53 PM
An amendment to the immigration reform bill calls for more drones, but the U.S. might not get the most for its dollars.
- Hoeven-Corker Amendment Doesn't Withhold Visas For Dreamers And Agri Workers
June 20 2013 4:07 PM
Under the Hoeven-Corker border security amendment to the U.S. immigration reform bill, DREAMers and agriculture workers need not worry.
- US Immigration Reform: Senate Kills Cornyn Amendment
June 20 2013 2:26 PM
The Senate votes 54-43 to reject Cornyn's border security amendment.