Articles by Laura Matthews
- GOP House Leadership To Act On Syrian Military Action The Week Of Sept 9
August 31 2013 3:24 PM
The GOP leadership says this time frame gives the president time to make his case to Congress and the American people.
- Obama To Seek Congressional Authorization For Attack On Syria
August 31 2013 2:06 PM
The U.S. president says Congress will debate and take a vote after it returns from recess Sept. 9.
- Syria Update: Obama To Make Statement From Rose Garden
August 31 2013 1:03 PM
Obama is expected to speak on the crisis in Syria.
- Republicans Can’t Afford Government Shutdown: AFL-CIO
August 31 2013 11:46 AM
Republicans will play games, but back down in the end because follow-through would hurt their donors, says AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka.
- Immigration Reform Work Will Pick Up After Recess: White House
August 31 2013 10:36 AM
Cecilia Muñoz, the president's point person on immigration, says she wants to make immigration reform a reality after the recess.
- GOP Leaves Budget Talks With White House: ‘No Common Ground’
August 30 2013 2:20 PM
With vast differences between the GOP and White House, Republicans say there’s little reason to continue the negotiations.
- House Group Preps US Immigration Bill For October Push
August 29 2013 1:45 PM
Comprehensive U.S. immigration reform may still happen this year, if this bipartisan group has any say about it.
- US Day Laborers To Janet Napolitano: Good Riddance
August 28 2013 2:48 PM
The National Day Laborer Organizing Network calls on the next Homeland Security secretary to give more immigrants relief from deportation.
- Rubio: We'll Raise The Debt Ceiling, For A Balanced Budget
August 27 2013 3:27 PM
The Republican Florida senator says the debt ceiling can be raised if Democrats agree to balance the budget over the next decade.
- House Democrats Ready To Make Concessions On Immigration
August 26 2013 4:57 PM
Rep. Luis Gutierrez says he would vote for a bill including stronger border security, because of the risks immigrants take to unite or stay with their families.
- Pro-Immigration Democrat Gutierrez Taking His Case To Republican Territory In Virginia
August 26 2013 1:47 PM
House Democrat Luis Gutierrez, who is pro-immigration reform, goes on the offensive in Republican-held Virginia districts.
- For Ted Cruz, It's Defund Obamacare, Or...
August 26 2013 10:30 AM
The Republican Texas senator says the fight to defund the health care law is likely to heat up in September.
- August Recess, And Impeachment Talk Is Heard In The Land
August 25 2013 2:35 PM
Some Republicans have been threatening Obama impeachment proceedings, but do they really mean it?
- Businesses To Congress: Let’s Talk About Immigration, Obamacare And The Economy
August 23 2013 10:18 PM
Lawmakers left Washington in gridlock during the August recess. Back home, they will be told anything hurting the recovery is a bad idea.
- Young Republicans' Advice To Party: Don't Be So Extreme
August 23 2013 11:16 AM
Young Republicans are offering advice on how win national elections. Hint: Some believe in the art of compromise.
- Evangelical Coalition Makes Big Ad Buy For US Immigration Reform
August 22 2013 1:51 PM
The Evangelical Immigration Table is aiming ads at Christians, telling them to think biblically about helping their fellow humans.
- US House Judiciary Chairman Says Mexicans Are Exploiting Asylum Loophole
August 22 2013 5:47 AM
Thousands of immigrants are applying for asylum by falsely claiming "credible fear" concerns, according to a prominent Republican.
- US Rep. Kerry Bentivolio Is Latest Republican To Talk Of Impeaching Obama
August 21 2013 11:14 AM
The Michigan congressman says he has approached lawyers about impeaching the president. Trouble is, he has no evidence.
- Ted Cruz Resumes His Normal Business Of Trying To Defund Obamacare
August 21 2013 10:16 AM
The GOP senator will be in Texas this week to explain to constituents: This is the "last best chance" to defund the health care law.
- Hertitage's DeMint: Republicans Not For Defunding Obamacare Should Be Replaced
August 20 2013 12:50 PM
The former senator hasn't lost any of his radical, Tea Party views after leaving the senate for a conservative think tank.