Articles by Laura Matthews
- House Democrats Ready To Make Concessions On Immigration
August 26 2013 4:57 PM
Rep. Luis Gutierrez says he would vote for a bill including stronger border security, because of the risks immigrants take to unite or stay with their families.
- Pro-Immigration Democrat Gutierrez Taking His Case To Republican Territory In Virginia
August 26 2013 1:47 PM
House Democrat Luis Gutierrez, who is pro-immigration reform, goes on the offensive in Republican-held Virginia districts.
- For Ted Cruz, It's Defund Obamacare, Or...
August 26 2013 10:30 AM
The Republican Texas senator says the fight to defund the health care law is likely to heat up in September.
- August Recess, And Impeachment Talk Is Heard In The Land
August 25 2013 2:35 PM
Some Republicans have been threatening Obama impeachment proceedings, but do they really mean it?
- Businesses To Congress: Let’s Talk About Immigration, Obamacare And The Economy
August 23 2013 10:18 PM
Lawmakers left Washington in gridlock during the August recess. Back home, they will be told anything hurting the recovery is a bad idea.
- Young Republicans' Advice To Party: Don't Be So Extreme
August 23 2013 11:16 AM
Young Republicans are offering advice on how win national elections. Hint: Some believe in the art of compromise.
- Evangelical Coalition Makes Big Ad Buy For US Immigration Reform
August 22 2013 1:51 PM
The Evangelical Immigration Table is aiming ads at Christians, telling them to think biblically about helping their fellow humans.
- US House Judiciary Chairman Says Mexicans Are Exploiting Asylum Loophole
August 22 2013 5:47 AM
Thousands of immigrants are applying for asylum by falsely claiming "credible fear" concerns, according to a prominent Republican.
- US Rep. Kerry Bentivolio Is Latest Republican To Talk Of Impeaching Obama
August 21 2013 11:14 AM
The Michigan congressman says he has approached lawyers about impeaching the president. Trouble is, he has no evidence.
- Ted Cruz Resumes His Normal Business Of Trying To Defund Obamacare
August 21 2013 10:16 AM
The GOP senator will be in Texas this week to explain to constituents: This is the "last best chance" to defund the health care law.
- Hertitage's DeMint: Republicans Not For Defunding Obamacare Should Be Replaced
August 20 2013 12:50 PM
The former senator hasn't lost any of his radical, Tea Party views after leaving the senate for a conservative think tank.
- Ted Cruz Renounces Canadian Citizenship: 'I’m American By Birth’
August 20 2013 9:19 AM
The Republican senator said he was told as a youth that he could choose Canadian or American citizenship, so he went for the U.S.
- Ted Cruz For President! But What About His Canadian Birth?
August 19 2013 3:32 PM
The Tea Party darling was born in Canada, which means he's got Canadian citizenship. That may spell trouble for a presidential run.
- Summer Isn't So Hot For American Presidents
August 19 2013 11:29 AM
Obama's approval rating among Americans has tended to decline during summer months -- like some other recent presidents.
- Republican Ban On CNN, NBC Hurts Only GOP: Analysts
August 16 2013 1:34 PM
The Republican Party is mad at the networks for producing Hillary Clinton documentaries. The backlash is wrongheaded, experts say.
- DREAMers to Obama: Let All Undocumented Immigrants Stay, Too
August 15 2013 2:40 PM
Undocumented immigrants brought to the U.S. as children got a reprieve. Now they want Obama to expand the program to everybody.
- New Orleans Sheriff Won't Cooperate With Feds On Immigration
August 13 2013 1:13 PM
A New Orleans sheriff will keep federal agents who want to verify the immigration status of inmates out of his jail.
- Rubio: Obamacare Defunding Tactic Is A Tough Road
August 13 2013 10:30 AM
Florida Sen. Marco Rubio says Republicans have "got a lot more convincing to do" about defunding Obamacare.
- US Government Shutdown In 2014? Obama Says It Won’t Happen
August 09 2013 4:43 PM
A government shutdown when the economy is picking up is 'a bad idea,' says the president.
- US Immigration Reform: Obama Stays Mum On Executive Action
August 09 2013 4:20 PM
Obama is yet to say if he will use executive action, but noted the Senate bill addresses and improves many of the opposition's concerns.