Articles by Laura Matthews
- 3 Republicans Who Won't Escape Immigration Reform During Recess
July 19 2013 1:57 PM
Even during the summer recess, some Republicans won't escape immigration reform. Democrats are taking the fight to their districts.
- House GOP Still Debating Status Of Immigrant Children
July 19 2013 10:30 AM
Some say the children were brought here through no fault of their own but then qualify it, saying "the law's the law."
- US Senate Approves McCarthy As EPA Head
July 18 2013 4:25 PM
Gina McCarthy is an environmental health/air quality expert who will be tasked with fulfilling the administration’s climate change agenda.
- Boehner: Moving Slow On US Immigration Reform Educates People
July 18 2013 3:50 PM
House Republicans are taking their time on immigration reform, but Speaker Boehner says a bill will come before debt ceiling talks.
- US Senate Confirms Perez As Labor Secretary
July 18 2013 2:05 PM
The new U.S. Labor Secretary, Tom Perez, is the only Latin American in President Obama's cabinet.
- Dem Super PAC Has 'Vulnerable' Republicans In Crosshairs Over Immigration
July 18 2013 11:20 AM
All three GOP congressmen targeted in a new ad campaign represent districts with a sizable Hispanic population.
- Boehner Thinks It's Fair Republicans Look At Legal Status For Children
July 17 2013 1:37 PM
Boehner says children brought here illegally are in a "difficult position."
- A House Comprehensive Immigration Reform Bill Is On The Way - But When?
July 17 2013 1:02 PM
There's still no set date for the House bipartisan gang's bill, as issues are still being resolved.
- Senate Confirms Richard Cordray 66-34 To Head CFPB
July 16 2013 5:54 PM
Cordray waited nearly two years for official confirmation.
- Why Do Republicans Need Immigration Reform? To Stay In The Game
July 16 2013 5:35 PM
Backing immigration reform doesn't guarantee Latinos will switch to Republicans, but it keeps the GOP in the national race.
- Liz Cheney To Challenge Rep. Enzi In Wyoming Next Year: Report
July 16 2013 5:23 PM
Cheney is the daughter of former U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney. Enzi announced Tuesday that he will seek another term.
- Richard Cordray Closer To Official Confirmation For CFPB Post
July 16 2013 12:14 PM
Senate Republicans held up Cordray's nomination for almost two years.
- Telltale Stat: Only Older Americans Support Republicans On Immigration
July 16 2013 10:43 AM
A new poll shows that Americans under age 50 are with Democrats on immigration reform, but neither party has an overwhelming majority.
- DOJ Considering Whether To Prosecute Zimmerman: Reports
July 14 2013 5:01 PM
Multiple news agencies are reporting the U.S. Justice Department has an open investigation and continues to evaluate evidence.
- Republicans Say Immigration Bill Isn't Quite Dead Yet In House
July 14 2013 1:45 PM
Some House Republicans say the Senate bill is unacceptable, but they are working on an alternative.
- Republicans Defend Verdict In The Martin-Zimmerman Murder Case
July 14 2013 11:48 AM
They say Zimmerman should have never been prosecuted and there was plenty of reasonable doubt.
- Celebrities Voice Shock At Zimmerman Verdict
July 14 2013 10:25 AM
Celebrities react strongly after the acquittal of George Zimmerman trial in the killing of Trayvon Martin.
- IRS Scandal: Treasury IG May Have To Again Testify On Hill
July 12 2013 1:08 PM
Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Md., says Inspector General Russell George failed to give Congress several key pieces of information.
- Key House Republicans Working On Kids' Immigration Reform Bill
July 12 2013 12:15 PM
U.S. House Judiciary Chairman Bob Goodlatte says children were brought to the U.S. through "no fault of their own."
- More Americans Are Pro-Immigration, But Still A Minority
July 11 2013 4:29 PM
The percentage of people who want more immigrants is growing, but still nowhere near 50 percent.