Articles by Laura Matthews
- Meet Penny Pritzker, Obama's Likely Commerce Secretary Nominee
April 29 2013 3:21 PM
Pritzker may be the richest cabinet member ever, with her estimated $1.8 billion net worth.
- US Public Less likely To Vote For 5 Senators Who Voted 'No' On Background Checks
April 29 2013 12:24 PM
The four Republicans and one Democrat who voted against background checks are losing public support, with rising unfavorable ratings.
- Who Will Help Complete Obama's 2013 Cabinet?
April 29 2013 10:32 AM
Foxx is Charlotte's youngest elected mayor. The cabinet will likely round out with an Obama fundraiser and a close adviser.
- Sen. Manchin Renews Background Check Bill Push
April 29 2013 9:21 AM
U.S. Sen. Manchin, D-W.Va., will resubmit a background check bill, and he is likely to get majority support from U.S. citizens.
- Finally, Some Good News For US Air Travelers
April 26 2013 12:48 PM
A House of Representatives vote will keep air-traffic control towers open.
- Bush Jump-Started Immigration Reform: Obama
April 25 2013 1:17 PM
Speaking at the George W. Bush Library dedication, Obama says the former president deserves credit if comprehensive immigration reform gets done.
- Watch Live: George W. Bush Presidential Center Dedication Ceremony
April 25 2013 11:37 AM
The George W. Bush Presidential Center is being dedicated Thursday.
- Barbara Bush On Jeb Bush 2016: 'We’ve Had Enough Bushes'
April 25 2013 10:37 AM
Former first lady Barbara Bush says her youngest son, Jeb Bush, is qualified to be president but doesn't think he'll run in 2016.
- US Gun Control - States That Enacted Looser Laws Since Newtown
April 24 2013 2:46 PM
These states have loosened their local firearms laws since the Newtown, Conn., incident last year.
- Americans - Mixed Reaction Over Gun Control Defeat
April 24 2013 10:52 AM
In the survey, 51 percent of Republicans were very happy/relieved lawmakers didn’t pass a gun control bill, while 67 percent of Democrats felt very disappointed/angry.
- Boehner: House Will Evaluate FBI Investigation, Monitoring Of Tamerlan Tsarnaev
April 23 2013 10:47 AM
Speaker Boehner says it's too early to tell if FBI underperformed when it investigated Tamerlan Tsarnaev 2 years ago.
- Paul: US Immigration Reform Should Scrutinize High-Risk Areas More
April 22 2013 1:33 PM
In light of the Boston Marathon bombings, Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., is calling for immigration reform that applies more scrutiny to people from high-risk parts of the world.
- US Immigration Reform: 'Cruel To Use Boston Bombings To Derail Immigrants’ Dream'
April 22 2013 12:26 PM
Sen. Patrick Leahy says America can welcome immigrants without compromising its security.
- What Judiciary Committee Members Are Saying About US Immigration Reform
April 22 2013 11:59 AM
The 2013 immigration bill was unveiled to mixed reviews, some of them from members of the very committee now debating it.
- Bombings Used To Politicize Gun Rights, Immigration Reform
April 19 2013 12:24 PM
Conservative Republicans wasted no time in seizing the Boston suspects' non-American birth as a political tool.
- US Gun Control Debate: How Did The NRA Win? People, Not Money
April 18 2013 5:14 PM
After gun legislation failed in the Senate, the mantra that the NRA is all-powerful came back to life. So did the discussion on why it is.
- Obama: Gun Lobby's Lies Served Its Purpose
April 17 2013 6:24 PM
The president says the failure of the background checks proposal is a "shameful day for Washington."
- Senate Rejects Assault Weapons Ban
April 17 2013 5:48 PM
Dianne Feinstein's assault weapons ban failed to pass in the Senate.
- Background Checks Bill Rejected By US Senate, 54-46
April 17 2013 4:40 PM
Five Democrats voted against background checks, while four Republicans crossed the aisle.
- Immigration Reform News: Read The Full Text Of The 2013 Bill
April 17 2013 3:16 PM
After a few missed deadlines, the immigration reform bill is finally here.