Articles by Laura Matthews
- Immigration Reform News: Read The Full Text Of The 2013 Bill
April 17 2013 3:16 PM
After a few missed deadlines, the immigration reform bill is finally here.
- Sanford Loses NRCC Support in Comeback Bid
April 17 2013 3:05 PM
Mark Sanford will have to figure out how to beat Colbert Busch for House seat on his own.
- Manchin: NRA Lied About Background Checks Bill
April 17 2013 12:13 PM
The Democrat says he is surprised the NRA is claiming his background checks bill will criminalize private transfer of firearms.
- Reid To Vote For Assault Weapons Ban Amendment
April 17 2013 11:35 AM
The Senate majority leader, who had opposed reinstating the 1994 assault weapons ban, says "I chose to vote my conscience" this time.
- Cruz, Grassley To Unveil Alternative Gun Control Plan
April 17 2013 10:56 AM
Along with preserving Second Amendment rights, the measure tackles mental health, gun trafficking, and school safety.
- Manchin's Plea: Background-Check Bill Home Free With 9 GOP Votes
April 17 2013 10:47 AM
On the final leg, Manchin pleads for nine Republicans to help pass the background checks bill.
- What's Inside Gang Of 8's US Immigration Reform Bill?
April 16 2013 12:52 PM
Tougher border security including drone use, increased visa caps and more are expected in the upcoming immigration bill.
- US Immigration Reform - Possible Savior For The GOP?
April 16 2013 11:08 AM
U.S. immigration reform presents an opportunity for Republicans to warm the hearts of -- and capture the votes of -- Latinos.
- Gun Control Debate: Dems Short Of 60; Biden Steps In
April 15 2013 5:17 PM
Vice President Joe Biden is reportedly personally calling senators to support the background checks compromise.
- Lawmakers Offer Prayers, Via Twitter, To Boston Marathon Explosions Victims
April 15 2013 4:32 PM
Lawmakers take to their Twitter accounts, sending prayers and well-wishes to victims of the Boston Marathon explosions.
- ‘Gun Grabbers Have Stepped Into Our Trap,’ Says Gun-Rights Lobbying Group
April 14 2013 11:41 PM
"It will be fun to see Obama forced to sign [the [Manchin-Toomey legislation]," says the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
- Gun-Rights Group Supports Background-Checks Bill
April 14 2013 6:04 PM
The NRA doesn't support the background-checks compromise, but the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms does.
- 'We Are Not Rewarding Anything,' Rubio Says Of Immigration-Reform Bill
April 14 2013 12:07 PM
The senator from Florida contended the measure would prod illegal immigrants to go home and seek entry to the U.S. legally.
- What’s Next In Gun-Control Battle? Amendment War
April 12 2013 3:31 PM
The open amendment process for the 2013 gun-control bill has begun. Here are key amendments to keep in mind.
- Legal Status For Undocumented OK By 70% In US
April 12 2013 8:53 AM
In the latest sign of reform momentum, U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., is apparently preparing to offer his full support for the legislation.
- How Much Time Does It Take Before Lobbyists Own You? 16 Years, Says Missouri
April 11 2013 4:26 PM
Missouri used to have 8=year term limits in the House and Senate, but two lawmakers want to change that.
- Senate Votes 68-31 To End Gun Control Filibuster
April 11 2013 12:04 PM
U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., says he is grateful Republicans decided to move the gun control bill along for debate.
- A Look At Senate Republican Support For Gun Control
April 11 2013 11:35 AM
Here's a look at which Republicans support gun control and who doesn't, as of Thursday, April 11.
- Background Check Deal Done, But Newtown Parents Want Certainty
April 11 2013 10:32 AM
A bipartisan background check deal has increased the likelihood a Senate gun control bill will pass, but Newtown parents want certainty.
- Ted Cruz Compares Passing Gun Control Bill To Obamacare
April 10 2013 3:19 PM
The Texas senator says Republicans supporting gun control don't know what's in the Senate bill.