Articles by Laura Matthews
- Obama On Immigration Reform: ‘Give Them A Sense Of Certainty’
June 11 2013 12:04 PM
President Barack Obama said immigration reform will require compromise by multiple interests and that the 2013 bill is reform's best shot.
- These Amendments Could Make US Immigration Reform Harder
June 11 2013 5:48 AM
The Gang of Eight united in committee against threats to their immigration reform bill, but will their bill stand in the full Senate?
- Does Border Security Still Have Clout In Immigration Debate?
June 10 2013 4:29 PM
In the debate, lawmakers pushing for enhanced border security are at odds with reality; meanwhile, more Americans prefer a path to citizenship.
- Has The GOP Truly Lost A Generation? Maybe Not
June 08 2013 10:20 AM
The Republican Party, although still strong in some demographics, may face long-term erosion.
- Susan Rice As National Security Adviser - Obama Win, GOP Loss?
June 05 2013 11:13 AM
U.S. Ambassador Susan Rice is expected to be the next national security adviser -- and Republicans can't do anything about it.
- College Republicans TO GOP: Here's Why We Are Leaving You
June 03 2013 10:20 AM
Take it from the youngsters at the College Republican National Committee: The GOP is in need of a new youth-focused platform.
- MPAA Confirms Effort To Stop Film Distribution Via Movie2K
June 01 2013 4:04 PM
Six U.K. Internet service providers blocked access to Movie2K before the site was taken down globally last week.
- MPAA Had Movie2K In Its Sight For Years
June 01 2013 12:29 PM
Nearly two years ago, the MPAA identified Movie2k as one of the world's most notorious markets for illegal films and TV shows.
- Pryor-Bloomberg Ad War Over Gun Control Flares Anew
June 01 2013 10:35 AM
U.S. Sen. Mark Pryor, D-Ark., says in his latest commercial he listens only to his constituents, not to New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg or D.C.
- Mark Pryor To Bloomberg: Your New Ad Is 'Disgusting'
May 24 2013 3:30 PM
The Democratic senator, who voted against expanding background checks, slams Mike Bloomberg for politicizing a friend's death.
- US Farm Subsidy Recipient Rep. Stephen Fincher Under Fire For Backing Food Stamp Cuts
May 24 2013 4:51 AM
He supports cutting $20 billion from food stamps, and got nearly $3.5 million in farm subsidies, a watchdog group says.
- IRS' Lerner Could Face Darrell Issa Again
May 22 2013 4:09 PM
The Republican says Lerner waived her Fifth Amendment right by giving an opening statement before Congress Tuesday.
- Issa To Treasury IG: Congress Is No 'Whipping Boy'
May 22 2013 12:31 PM
Democrats attack the former IRS Commissioner, and the Republican chairman has some strong words too.
- IRS’ Lois Lerner: ‘I Have Not Done Anything Wrong’
May 22 2013 10:41 AM
Lois Lerner, who runs the IRS exemption division, said she has "not broken any laws." She then pleaded the Fifth.
- Deputy Treasury Secretary Wolin: ‘The IRS Did Not Act With Integrity’
May 22 2013 10:17 AM
Wolin said the IRS' targeting of conservative groups is “absolutely unacceptable and inexcusable.”
- IRS Official To Take The Fifth On Those Alleged 501(c)(4)s
May 21 2013 4:48 PM
Lois Lerner, who heads the IRS' tax-exempt application division, sparked a media frenzy when she issued an apology May 10.
- IRS' Shulman: I Don't Know What Happened In Cincinnati
May 21 2013 11:18 AM
It's the first time lawmakers have questioned Shulman since the IRS scandal broke nearly two weeks ago.
- IRS Scandal - 4 Likely Tough Questions From Finance Committee
May 21 2013 8:48 AM
Not having to worry about re-election next year, Senate Finance Committee Chairman Baucus deepens the IRS probe.
- GOP: IRS Another Reason To Repeal Obamacare
May 20 2013 1:55 PM
Republicans say the IRS scandal is more reason to fear the agency's implementation of Obamacare. They may have a winner. Or not.
- Scandal Has Damaged IRS Reputation: Outgoing Commish
May 17 2013 9:26 AM
The U.S. House of Representatives Ways and Means Committee has begun getting to the bottom of the IRS targeting of conservative groups.