Articles by Laura Matthews
- Immigration Reform Bill Would Reduce Deficit By $175B: CBO
June 18 2013 5:49 PM
The nonpartisan entity says the Senate's "Gang of Eight's" immigration reform bill would save billions and reduce the deficit.
- Immigration Reform: What's Inside U.S. Rep. Gowdy's Enforcement Bill
June 18 2013 4:52 PM
Take a look at what's inside the U.S. House immigration reform bill and see how Republicans want to toughen enforcement in America.
- Critics Say US House Immigration Safe Act Makes Communities Anything But
June 18 2013 1:41 PM
U.S. Rep. Trey Gowdy’s immigration bill is focused on interior enforcement and will be the first measure voted on by the House.
- US Public Overwhelming Opposes Obama, Allies Arming Syrian Rebels
June 17 2013 3:57 PM
Americans say the military has too much on it plates and also worry Syria's anti-government groups may be no better than the government.
- Supreme Court To Arizona: 'Motor Voter' Law Is Illegal
June 17 2013 12:04 PM
The justices said the Arizona provision conflicts with the national motor voter law.
- Background Checks Backer Manchin To Fight NRA In New Ad
June 17 2013 10:33 AM
The West Virginia Democrat is pushing back at the NRA's target ads in his home state, questioning is Second Amendment commitment.
- Low-Skilled Immigrants Complement Americans, Not Compete: Study
June 13 2013 3:04 PM
This conservative report supports immigration reform and should knock some wind out of opponents' sails.
- Confidence In US Congress Falls To Another New Low
June 13 2013 10:24 AM
America's confidence in Congress as an institution has been below 30 percent for more than 20 years.
- Reform Advocates: Don't Make The Perfect The Enemy Of The Good
June 12 2013 12:25 PM
Chuck Schumer's mission to get the 2013 immigration reform bill passed with 70 votes is making some colleagues and advocates uneasy.
- Senate Votes 82-15 To Begin Immigration Reform Debate
June 11 2013 3:56 PM
Senators will now begin changing the immigration status quo, as they voted 82-15 to begin debate on the reform bill.
- Rubio Adds Stronger English Language Amendment To Immigration Bill
June 11 2013 1:22 PM
For Rubio, simply enrolling in a course is not enough to prove English proficiency to get permanent U.S. residency.
- Obama On Immigration Reform: ‘Give Them A Sense Of Certainty’
June 11 2013 12:04 PM
President Barack Obama said immigration reform will require compromise by multiple interests and that the 2013 bill is reform's best shot.
- These Amendments Could Make US Immigration Reform Harder
June 11 2013 5:48 AM
The Gang of Eight united in committee against threats to their immigration reform bill, but will their bill stand in the full Senate?
- Does Border Security Still Have Clout In Immigration Debate?
June 10 2013 4:29 PM
In the debate, lawmakers pushing for enhanced border security are at odds with reality; meanwhile, more Americans prefer a path to citizenship.
- Has The GOP Truly Lost A Generation? Maybe Not
June 08 2013 10:20 AM
The Republican Party, although still strong in some demographics, may face long-term erosion.
- Susan Rice As National Security Adviser - Obama Win, GOP Loss?
June 05 2013 11:13 AM
U.S. Ambassador Susan Rice is expected to be the next national security adviser -- and Republicans can't do anything about it.
- College Republicans TO GOP: Here's Why We Are Leaving You
June 03 2013 10:20 AM
Take it from the youngsters at the College Republican National Committee: The GOP is in need of a new youth-focused platform.
- MPAA Confirms Effort To Stop Film Distribution Via Movie2K
June 01 2013 4:04 PM
Six U.K. Internet service providers blocked access to Movie2K before the site was taken down globally last week.
- MPAA Had Movie2K In Its Sight For Years
June 01 2013 12:29 PM
Nearly two years ago, the MPAA identified Movie2k as one of the world's most notorious markets for illegal films and TV shows.
- Pryor-Bloomberg Ad War Over Gun Control Flares Anew
June 01 2013 10:35 AM
U.S. Sen. Mark Pryor, D-Ark., says in his latest commercial he listens only to his constituents, not to New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg or D.C.