Articles by Laura Matthews
- ‘Gun Grabbers Have Stepped Into Our Trap,’ Says Gun-Rights Lobbying Group
April 14 2013 11:41 PM
"It will be fun to see Obama forced to sign [the [Manchin-Toomey legislation]," says the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
- Gun-Rights Group Supports Background-Checks Bill
April 14 2013 6:04 PM
The NRA doesn't support the background-checks compromise, but the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms does.
- 'We Are Not Rewarding Anything,' Rubio Says Of Immigration-Reform Bill
April 14 2013 12:07 PM
The senator from Florida contended the measure would prod illegal immigrants to go home and seek entry to the U.S. legally.
- What’s Next In Gun-Control Battle? Amendment War
April 12 2013 3:31 PM
The open amendment process for the 2013 gun-control bill has begun. Here are key amendments to keep in mind.
- Legal Status For Undocumented OK By 70% In US
April 12 2013 8:53 AM
In the latest sign of reform momentum, U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., is apparently preparing to offer his full support for the legislation.
- How Much Time Does It Take Before Lobbyists Own You? 16 Years, Says Missouri
April 11 2013 4:26 PM
Missouri used to have 8=year term limits in the House and Senate, but two lawmakers want to change that.
- Senate Votes 68-31 To End Gun Control Filibuster
April 11 2013 12:04 PM
U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., says he is grateful Republicans decided to move the gun control bill along for debate.
- A Look At Senate Republican Support For Gun Control
April 11 2013 11:35 AM
Here's a look at which Republicans support gun control and who doesn't, as of Thursday, April 11.
- Background Check Deal Done, But Newtown Parents Want Certainty
April 11 2013 10:32 AM
A bipartisan background check deal has increased the likelihood a Senate gun control bill will pass, but Newtown parents want certainty.
- Ted Cruz Compares Passing Gun Control Bill To Obamacare
April 10 2013 3:19 PM
The Texas senator says Republicans supporting gun control don't know what's in the Senate bill.
- Prepare For Background Checks At Gun Shows, Online
April 10 2013 12:09 PM
But the NRA bashes the gun control compromise, saying expanding background checks won't prevent another Newtown.
- US Senate Inching Toward Background Check
April 10 2013 11:37 AM
The background check in the Senate Democrats’ gun control bill reportedly may exclude transactions between family members.
- Obama's 2014 Budget - 6 Things To Look For
April 10 2013 9:00 AM
Social Security and Medicare have been getting a lot of spotlight but uncertainty lingers over defense spending and the sequester.
- Obama's Approval Rating 51% But Falls Short On Deficit, Guns, Social Security: Poll
April 09 2013 6:31 PM
A new CNN poll shows Obama with high approval rating, but on guns and the budget deficit -- not so much.
- Sandy Hook Parents To Meet With US Senators
April 09 2013 3:46 PM
About a dozen parents of children who died in the Sandy Hook massacre are scheduled to meet with senators.
- Who Are The Republicans Threating A Gun Control Filibuster?
April 09 2013 11:56 AM
As two senators -- one Democrat and one Republican -- work on a background check compromise, more conservative Republicans join a gun control filibuster.
- GOP Gun Control Filibuster Gains Another Supporter
April 09 2013 10:58 AM
Is the gun control bill doomed in Congress? Perhaps: The number of Republicans ready to oppose the Senate Democrats' measure is growing.
- Obama, Sandy Hook Parents To Lobby Congress On Democrats' Gun Control Bill
April 08 2013 5:14 PM
Amid a growing GOP threat to filibuster the Senate's gun control bill, Obama goes for the heart with Sandy Hook parents as reinforcement.
- Could Obama's Budget Divide GOP?
April 08 2013 3:31 PM
Lindsey Graham is encouraged by entitlement cuts in Obama's 2014 budget, but Speaker Boehner opposes holding entitlements hostage to taxes.
- Schumer: US Immigration Reform Bill Likely This Week
April 08 2013 12:10 PM
Democratic Sen. Chuck Schumer says a bill will be presented when all members of the "gang of eight" agree. Sen. Rubio could be a tough sell.