Articles by Laura Matthews
- GOP: IRS Another Reason To Repeal Obamacare
May 20 2013 1:55 PM
Republicans say the IRS scandal is more reason to fear the agency's implementation of Obamacare. They may have a winner. Or not.
- Scandal Has Damaged IRS Reputation: Outgoing Commish
May 17 2013 9:26 AM
The U.S. House of Representatives Ways and Means Committee has begun getting to the bottom of the IRS targeting of conservative groups.
- 2M To Lose Food Stamps Because Of Farm Bill
May 16 2013 3:26 PM
The House Agriculture Committee passed its 2013 farm bill, a monster worth nearly a trillion dollars -- you read that right.
- How Obama Can Survive The Triple Storm of IRS, AP, Benghazi Scandals
May 15 2013 2:51 PM
Obama's second-term agenda is stalled by the controversies, but it remains to be seen what the longer-term effects might be.
- IRS Tea Party Scrutiny: What’s At Stake For Obama?
May 14 2013 2:22 PM
If there is no evidence the IRS was acting on an order from higher-ups, then the president may just walk away unscathed.
- Conservatives Suspect Bigger Cover-Up in IRS Scandal
May 14 2013 10:16 AM
TheTeaParty.net questions why the IRS gave an apology long after the first alarm sounded and ahead of an inspector general report.
- Read What The IRS Asked Tea Party Groups
May 14 2013 9:57 AM
Read the type of questions the Internal Revenue Service asked conservative groups seeking tax-exempt status.
- Why Gun Background Checks Will Never Pass The Senate
May 11 2013 10:44 AM
Gun control backers who are optimistic they'll fare better in Congress this time would be wise not to hold their breath.
- Analyst Who Argued Immigrants Have Lower IQ Leaves Heritage Foundation
May 10 2013 4:30 PM
Jason Richwine, a co-author of the Heritage Foundation's controversial report on immigration reform, resigned Friday.
- IRS: Auditing Tea Party Groups Wasn't Political
May 10 2013 3:44 PM
Last year, at least 16 Tea Party groups claimed they were being harassed by the agency.
- Immigration Bill Backed By Influential Conservative Group
May 09 2013 11:17 AM
The American Conservative Union and others have called on conservatives in Congress to take the lead on comprehensive immigration reform.
- Will Green Cards For Same-Sex Couples Hit A Red Light?
May 08 2013 7:51 PM
It could drag down the whole immigration reform bill, and hinder the political futures of some potential candidates.
- Rubio Won't Support Green Cards For Same-Sex Spouses, Says Reform Bill Could Fail
May 07 2013 5:38 PM
Rubio says he will not support the Leahy amendment. Democrats are banking on the Florida senator to drum up conservative support.
- US Immigration Reform Bill 2013: 4 Likely Amendments
May 07 2013 10:35 AM
All amendments to the 2013 U.S. immigration reform bill are due by 5 p.m. EDT Tuesday. Here's what you can expect.
- The Most Controversial Statements From Women Of The NRA
May 06 2013 1:35 PM
We're used to seeing tough guys from the NRA speaking out against gun control. But these women of the NRA feel equally strongly.
- Immigration Reform A Winner With Voters: Poll
May 06 2013 11:44 AM
The poll represents good news for the Gang of 8 fighting to get the bill passed.
- Obama 2013 Cabinet: Last Two Vacancies Filled With Nods To Penny Pritzker, Michael Froman
May 02 2013 9:23 PM
Obama chose his two friends to fill the commerce secretary and U.S. trade representative posts -- the last two vacancies in his 2013 cabinet.
- 4 Things About Presumptive Commerce Secretary Penny Pritzker
May 02 2013 10:33 AM
Barack Obama officially nominated his new secretary of commerce today. Here are a few things to know about her.
- Obama's Personal Announcement: Penny Pritzker Likely Commerce Secretary, Michael Froman Trade Representative
May 02 2013 10:19 AM
Obama is announcing Penny Pritzker as commerce secretary and Michael Froman to become trade representative.
- Obama Nominates Wheeler To FCC, Watt To FHFA
May 01 2013 3:11 PM
President Barack Obama wants quick confirmation of Tom Wheeler and Rep. U.S. Mel Watt so they can start working right away.