Articles by Laura Matthews
- Republicans Still Want To Thwart Obama's Alleged Overreach
February 26 2014 3:41 PM
Republicans want to hit Obama where it hurts: his use of executive power on Obamacare and immigration. But it's unclear whether he overstepped.
- Obama's Use Of Powers On Trial At Judiciary Panel
February 26 2014 6:09 AM
Obama recently declared that he will be using more executive action if Congress stalls his agenda.
- Did Chris Mapp Dig A Deeper Hole in Texas?
February 25 2014 12:24 PM
Mapp, a businessman, says he's plainspoken, and if Texans can't handle it then he's probably not the guy for them.
- Hagel Wants A Leaner, Cheaper US Department Of Defense
February 24 2014 5:11 PM
Defense Secretary Hagel says the U.S. will still be protected but the military will face some gaps in training and maintenance.
- This May Represent Obama's Best Second-Term Coalition
February 24 2014 12:30 PM
Still threatening to use his executive power sans action from Congress, Obama tells state executives he's ready to work with them on economic issues.
- Utah And Colorado Move To Make Smoking Age 21
February 21 2014 12:35 PM
It's the farthest these states have gone to prevent teens from picking up the hard-to-kick habit.
- Michele Bachmann: Americans 'Aren't Ready' For A Woman President
February 20 2014 3:29 PM
The Minnesota Republican who ran for president in 2012 also said guilt was the reason Americans elected President Obama.
- Utah Republican: Increase Carbon Dioxide, There Isn’t Enough For Plants
February 19 2014 12:09 PM
What greenhouse effect? Utah Rep. Jerry Anderson says we can go back to carbon dioxide levels not seen since the dinosaurs.
- Republicans On Immigration Reform: 'We Have To Get Past The Primaries'
February 19 2014 6:23 AM
Backlash from primary voters is keeping House Republicans' hands tied on an immigration reform bill.
- US's No. 1 Problem Is Unemployment: Poll
February 18 2014 11:38 AM
Now that the shutdown is over, Americans aren't concerned about Washington gridlock. They've shifted focus back to the economy.
- Americans Want It All: Border Security, Undocumented Addressed
February 17 2014 11:38 AM
A "big deal" - a comprehensive solution for U.S. immigration reform - may be Congress' best choice, a Gallup poll indicates.
- US Immigration Advocates: Either Reform Or ‘No Republican Is Safe’
February 12 2014 9:37 AM
Pro-immigration advocates are livid that the GOP has decided not to address immigration reform this year.
- House Passes 'Clean' Debt Ceiling Bill
February 11 2014 5:51 PM
Only 28 Republicans voted yes in the 221-201 tally, as Boehner failed to bring his ranks along.
- Is The House GOP About To Pass A Clean US Debt Ceiling Hike?
February 11 2014 11:53 AM
Speaker Boehner couldn't bring the votes for his original plan. Now he has to make nice with Democrats to pass the debt ceiling bill.
- What Conservative Groups Fear About Boehner
February 10 2014 1:12 PM
The speaker of the House says immigration reform must get done. But he also says it isn't happening this year.
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez Talks Citizenship, GOP Principles And Obama
February 07 2014 11:00 AM
In a candid chat, the Illinois congressman said the president can use his executive powers to do more -- but compromise is key -- for immigration reform.
- Q&A: What A US Default Would Trigger
February 06 2014 11:55 AM
Did you know the United States accidentally (and briefly) breached the debt limit in 1979?
- On Debt Ceiling, House Republicans Mull Options
February 05 2014 11:35 AM
Two days away from the soft debt-limit deadline, you won't believe what the GOP is considering.
- Tax Refunds Could Help Bring Along A US Default
February 03 2014 12:57 PM
Treasury Secretary Jack Lew says issuing tax refunds will complicate the debt-limit issue.
- Are Democrats Ready To Compromise On Citizenship?
February 01 2014 12:47 PM
The legal status of 11 million undocumented immigrants hangs in the balance as Democrats and Republicans try to find a common position on reform.