Articles by Laura Matthews
- 4 Things To Know About Nominated Commerce Secretary Penny Pritzker
May 02 2013 10:33 AM
Barack Obama officially nominated his new secretary of commerce today. Here are a few things to know about her.
- Obama's Personal Announcement: Penny Pritzker Likely Commerce Secretary, Michael Froman Trade Representative
May 02 2013 10:19 AM
Obama is announcing Penny Pritzker as commerce secretary and Michael Froman to become trade representative.
- Obama Nominates Wheeler To FCC, Watt To FHFA
May 01 2013 3:11 PM
President Barack Obama wants quick confirmation of Tom Wheeler and Rep. U.S. Mel Watt so they can start working right away.
- Indiana Law Tightens Regs On Clinics Doing Drug-Induced Abortions
May 01 2013 2:40 PM
Under the new law, clinics that perform drug-induced abortions will need to meet the same standards as surgical clinics.
- Tom Wheeler For FCC Chairman: Lawmakers, Advocates Have Mixed Reactions
May 01 2013 11:20 AM
News that venture capitalist Tom Wheeler will be nominated as Federal Communications Commission chair draw both criticism and praise.
- Baucus Feeling The Heat For Gun Control Stance
May 01 2013 7:36 AM
A progressive PAC is pressuring Sen. Max Baucus to support background checks favored by nearly 80 percent of Montana voters.
- Meet Tom Wheeler, Obama’s Likely FCC Chairman
April 30 2013 4:35 PM
Wheeler helped to develop regulatory and legislative government telecommunications policies.
- 'Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Exaggerated,' Obama Says, About Second Term
April 30 2013 12:43 PM
Despite gun control's defeat and a sequester still in place, President Obama remains optimistic that his second-term agenda has some life left.
- Obama: Boston Bombings Show Self-Radicalization Dangers
April 30 2013 12:07 PM
The president defended the FBI's investigation of Tamerlan Tsarnaev, but wants better, future identification of self-radicalized individuals.
- Obama: We Cannot Prove Which Side Used Chemical Weapons In Syria
April 30 2013 11:30 AM
Obama said Tuesday chemical weapons use in Syria will change how the United States and its allies respond.
- Obama Press Conference Live Stream
April 30 2013 10:41 AM
President Barack Obama is taking questions from White House reporters on the 100th day of his second term.
- Obama Press Conference - What To Expect?
April 30 2013 9:47 AM
The president will be taking questions from reporters at 10:15 a.m. EDT at the White House.