Articles by Laura Matthews
- What Conservative Groups Fear About Boehner
February 10 2014 1:12 PM
The speaker of the House says immigration reform must get done. But he also says it isn't happening this year.
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez Talks Citizenship, GOP Principles And Obama
February 07 2014 11:00 AM
In a candid chat, the Illinois congressman said the president can use his executive powers to do more -- but compromise is key -- for immigration reform.
- Q&A: What A US Default Would Trigger
February 06 2014 11:55 AM
Did you know the United States accidentally (and briefly) breached the debt limit in 1979?
- On Debt Ceiling, House Republicans Mull Options
February 05 2014 11:35 AM
Two days away from the soft debt-limit deadline, you won't believe what the GOP is considering.
- Tax Refunds Could Help Bring Along A US Default
February 03 2014 12:57 PM
Treasury Secretary Jack Lew says issuing tax refunds will complicate the debt-limit issue.
- Are Democrats Ready To Compromise On Citizenship?
February 01 2014 12:47 PM
The legal status of 11 million undocumented immigrants hangs in the balance as Democrats and Republicans try to find a common position on reform.
- GOP Immigration Reform Principles: Legal Status, But No Citizenship [DOCUMENT]
January 30 2014 4:56 PM
Read the House Republican document, which will guide the party's immigration-reform policies, to see what's inside.
- Guess Who Wants US Immigration Reform?
January 30 2014 12:27 PM
The ex-speaker wants House Republicans to recognize undocumented immigrants and offer them legal status.
- Michael Grimm Not First Pol To Get Testy With Reporters
January 30 2014 6:29 AM
Other politicians have threatened reporters with physical harm, and still others have resorted to ridicule or name-calling.
- Immigration Groups: Obama's Promise On Reform Is Not Enough
January 29 2014 12:09 PM
The president urged Congress to act on the issue, but some argue words without action mean nothing to them.
- 3 Things To Know About Utah Sen. Mike Lee
January 28 2014 2:51 PM
Sen. Mike Lee will deliver the official Tea Party response to Obama's State of the Union.
- US Voters' View Of Immigration Reform's Importance
January 28 2014 12:32 PM
Some House Republicans may be happy to know Americans don't believe immigration is a priority this year for the president and Congress.
- What To Look For In President Obama's State Of The Union
January 28 2014 6:33 AM
The president knows sweeping legislation will likely fail. But he signaled he's ready to use executive orders to get things done.
- Here's Why Republicans Aren't Making Progress With Women Voters
January 24 2014 2:02 PM
Let's just say some Republican candidates would benefit from a course in basic anatomy or human sexuality.
- This Republican Congressman Said What About A Wife's Role?
January 23 2014 3:29 PM
Rep. Steve Pearce, R-N.M., discusses in a memoir the wife's voluntary submission role, and husbands on a power trip.
- US Debt Ceiling Approaching Quickly: Lew
January 23 2014 12:00 PM
The Treasury secretary has warned Congress, again, that policymakers shouldn't play "chicken" with the U.S.'s full faith and credit.
- The US Immigration Reform Calculus, As Of Right Now
January 22 2014 1:37 PM
As House GOP leaders prepare their immigration "principles," some conservatives fear they'll just hide behind the Democratic Senate bill.
- Today's GOP - No Love Affair With The 47%
January 17 2014 1:08 PM
The conventional wisdom argues that a little more sensitivity would go a long way electorally. But the Republican Party still doesn't get it.
- Why Republicans Are Still Talking About Food Stamps
January 16 2014 4:11 PM
A Louisiana Republican says a system failure last October highlights fraud in the program. Advocates for the poor urge him to focus on contractor oversight.
- Congress: Playing Fast And Loose With Budget/Defense Bill
January 16 2014 2:19 PM
The war fund got fatter, but the Afghan Security Forces Fund was reduced by billions -- and other strange twists in the 2014 spending bill.