Articles by Laura Matthews
- 7 Weird Things The US Government Wasted Money On In 2013
December 17 2013 3:40 PM
An Oklahoma senator highlights 100 projects that amount to about $30 billion in wasteful spending.
- White House: 'No Negotiation' On US Debt Ceiling
December 16 2013 3:34 PM
U.S. Rep. Ryan says Republicans don't want to leave the debt ceiling negotiation empty-handed. The White House says they will have to.
- This Time, On Budget, Democrats May Have To 'Swallow A Rat'
December 16 2013 11:36 AM
Republicans don't like the spending increase; Dems would've liked to have unemployment insurance extended. But neither wants another shutdown.
- What Conservatives Now Think About Boehner On US Immigration
December 13 2013 1:58 PM
Immigration reform advocates are smiling: A budget deal has the speaker at war with conservative groups -- and the reform goal may benefit.
- House Passes 2-Year Bipartisan Budget Deal
December 12 2013 6:39 PM
The bill was passed overwhelmingly with a vote of 332-94, and it will now head to the Senate, which is poised to pass it next week.
- Boehner To Conservative US Budget Groups: 'You've Lost All Credibility'
December 12 2013 1:35 PM
The House speaker stood his ground on Thursday, shunning some conservative groups and questioning their methods.
- Boehner Blasts ‘Ridiculous’ Conservative Groups Opposing Budget Deal
December 11 2013 12:19 PM
The House speaker said conservative groups opposing deal are using Republicans, and the American people, for their personal goals.
- US Budget Conference Committee Delivers, But Are The Votes There?
December 11 2013 11:31 AM
After the budget deal, the hard work begins: trying to pass the bill in the Tea Party-dominated House and Democratic-led Senate.
- Bipartisan Budget Deal Announced
December 10 2013 7:17 PM
A two-year deal was announced Tuesday by the lead congressional budget negotiators.
- Don't Look Now, But Something Novel In US Budget Talks Is Occurring
December 06 2013 1:36 PM
And all the cliches apply: knock-on-wood, fingers-are-crossed etc.
- Dems To Obama: Pause Deportation, If You Want Immigration Reform Progress
December 05 2013 6:28 PM
Democratic lawmakers wrote the president, saying that stopping deportations will boost their coalition's efforts in Congress.
- Budget Deal, Farm Bill Top Congress List, But There Isn't Enough Time
December 05 2013 2:08 PM
The 113th Congress adjourns soon with no immediate fiscal deadlines, but its to-do list is pretty hefty.
- US Immigration Reform Opponents Call Boehner A Sellout
December 04 2013 12:57 PM
Some Republicans say the House speaker has declared his support for amnesty by hiring the Bipartisan Policy Center's Rebecca Tallent.
- 4 Alarmist Claims Of Obama's 'Tyranny'
December 03 2013 5:02 PM
The House Judiciary committee spent one day hearing claims that Obama may be acting outside the law and may be overthrown.
- US Immigration Advocates To Occupy Top Republican's Office
December 03 2013 10:47 AM
Kevin McCarthy, majority whip and third-ranking House Republican, recently said that immigration reform won't get a vote because of a time crunch.
- US House Judiciary Sets Hearings For Obama Acts GOP Finds Unconstitutional
December 03 2013 6:30 AM
House Republicans are ready for another attack on Obama, who they say is violating his oath to faithfully execute the laws.
- No More Government Shutdowns, US Politicians Promise; Seriously?
December 03 2013 6:22 AM
While the sequester spending cuts remain in place, lawmakers try to find an alternative -- and that's proving elusive.
- Conservatives Target Obamacare With Cyber Monday Ads
December 02 2013 12:29 PM
Here’s a Cyber Monday ad some bargain hunters were probably not expecting to see.
- Obamas Meet Fasting Activists
November 29 2013 3:12 PM
The president spent 30 minutes with the activists who are hoping Congress takes up immigration reform.
- AFL-CIO Announces Support For Immigration Reform Fasters
November 27 2013 2:45 PM
National groups are helping activists turn up the pressure on congressional Republicans to vote on immigration reform.