Articles by Laura Matthews
- Meet Penny Pritzker, Obama's Likely Commerce Secretary Nominee
April 29 2013 3:21 PM
Pritzker may be the richest cabinet member ever, with her estimated $1.8 billion net worth.
- US Public Less likely To Vote For 5 Senators Who Voted 'No' On Background Checks
April 29 2013 12:24 PM
The four Republicans and one Democrat who voted against background checks are losing public support, with rising unfavorable ratings.
- Who Will Help Complete Obama's 2013 Cabinet?
April 29 2013 10:32 AM
Foxx is Charlotte's youngest elected mayor. The cabinet will likely round out with an Obama fundraiser and a close adviser.
- Sen. Manchin Renews Background Check Bill Push
April 29 2013 9:21 AM
U.S. Sen. Manchin, D-W.Va., will resubmit a background check bill, and he is likely to get majority support from U.S. citizens.
- Finally, Some Good News For US Air Travelers
April 26 2013 12:48 PM
A House of Representatives vote will keep air-traffic control towers open.
- Bush Jump-Started Immigration Reform: Obama
April 25 2013 1:17 PM
Speaking at the George W. Bush Library dedication, Obama says the former president deserves credit if comprehensive immigration reform gets done.
- Watch Live: George W. Bush Presidential Center Dedication Ceremony
April 25 2013 11:37 AM
The George W. Bush Presidential Center is being dedicated Thursday.
- Barbara Bush On Jeb Bush 2016: 'We’ve Had Enough Bushes'
April 25 2013 10:37 AM
Former first lady Barbara Bush says her youngest son, Jeb Bush, is qualified to be president but doesn't think he'll run in 2016.
- US Gun Control - States That Enacted Looser Laws Since Newtown
April 24 2013 2:46 PM
These states have loosened their local firearms laws since the Newtown, Conn., incident last year.
- Americans - Mixed Reaction Over Gun Control Defeat
April 24 2013 10:52 AM
In the survey, 51 percent of Republicans were very happy/relieved lawmakers didn’t pass a gun control bill, while 67 percent of Democrats felt very disappointed/angry.
- Boehner: House Will Evaluate FBI Investigation, Monitoring Of Tamerlan Tsarnaev
April 23 2013 10:47 AM
Speaker Boehner says it's too early to tell if FBI underperformed when it investigated Tamerlan Tsarnaev 2 years ago.
- Paul: US Immigration Reform Should Scrutinize High-Risk Areas More
April 22 2013 1:33 PM
In light of the Boston Marathon bombings, Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., is calling for immigration reform that applies more scrutiny to people from high-risk parts of the world.