Articles by Laura Matthews
- US Senate Rejects 1-Year Obamacare Delay, 54-46
September 30 2013 2:50 PM
The U.S. Senate used a simple majority vote to kill the House amendments to a 2014 continuing resolution.
- Why Last-Ditch Effort To Avert US Gov't Shutdown May Not Work
September 30 2013 2:22 PM
A one-week stopgap bill is said to be one of the strategies Republicans are considering, but it looks like that measure is already dead.
- Reid The Rock: Senate Dems To Defeat Another Attack On Obamacare
September 30 2013 12:19 PM
The federal government is on the brink of a shutdown; the two parties are unlikely to agree on a continuing resolution before midnight.
- Obama: Health-Care Market Will Open ‘Even If There’s A Shutdown’
September 27 2013 4:31 PM
Whatever Republicans in Congress do in an attempt to kill Obamacare is not going to work, the president said.
- US Senate Approves Budget As House Weighs Options
September 27 2013 2:07 PM
The Democratic-led Senate voted 54-44 to approve a continuing resolution that prevents a government shutdown and funds Obamacare.
- US Senate Votes 54-44 To Strip Defund Obamacare Language
September 27 2013 1:33 PM
Sen. Reid successfully removed defund language from the continuing resolution and will now move to pass a bill to prevent a government shutdown.
- Pelosi: Republicans 'Living Dangerously' Instead of 'Legislating Responsibly'
September 27 2013 12:58 PM
Work toward a budget: possible. Negotiating on the debt ceiling: no way. That's how the House minority leader summed up the Dem's position.
- Senate Votes 100-0 On Bill To Avert Government Shutdown
September 25 2013 1:44 PM
Lawmakers voted overwhelmingly to proceed with the House's resolution that defunds Obamacare.
- US Immigration Reform - Pelosi's Plan Not Taken Seriously
September 25 2013 5:48 AM
Pelosi plans to combine a Senate judiciary bill with a House border security bill still in the making, but it has little support.
- GOP's McConnell, Cornyn To Cruz: You're On Your Own
September 24 2013 12:06 PM
Top Republicans in the Senate say there's no way they would join Ted Cruz in blocking a continuing resolution that defunds Obamacare.
- Americans To Democrats, Republicans: Compromise On Budget, Debt Issues
September 23 2013 2:21 PM
The U.S. Congress may be polarized, but Americans still think compromise should win out over party orthodoxy.
- Republicans In Disarray Over Obamacare: Some Say Cruz Is 'Bad For The Party'
September 23 2013 11:53 AM
Amid U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz's call for Republicans to unite to end Obamacare, some in the party say he's flat-out wrong.
- Obama Says U.S. Will Be A ‘Deadbeat’ Without A Debt Ceiling Bill
September 20 2013 4:08 PM
The president is still refusing to negotiate on the debt ceiling, saying he won't let anyone allow America to run out on its bill.
- ‘Gang Of Seven’ Defections Weigh On Immigration Reform
September 20 2013 1:03 PM
The bipartisan group for immigration reform is crumbling: Only one Republican remains.
- US House Votes 230-189 To Avert Government Shutdown
September 20 2013 11:32 AM
Ten days before a potential U.S. government shutdown, the House voted for the 42nd time to defund or repeal Obamacare.
- McCain: ‘The Senate Will Not Repeal Or Defund Obamacare’
September 19 2013 5:52 PM
To think otherwise is "not rational," the Arizona senator said.
- Schumer And Reid Warn Republicans: Don't Mess With Obamacare, ‘We Will Not Blink’
September 19 2013 1:32 PM
As they play chicken with Republicans, Democrats say the highway leads to either a government shutdown or a default on the debt.
- Boehner Says He Has Votes To Defund Obamacare, Pelosi Says GOP 'Playing With Fire'
September 19 2013 12:41 PM
Days from a U.S. government shutdown, the language between the parties is getting even more hostile.
- Zuckerberg: ‘11 Million Is A Lot Of People Treated Unfairly’
September 18 2013 5:47 PM
Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg says that even in a divided Washington, things that people agree on should get done.
- House Plan To Increase Debt Limit To Come Next Week, Says Cantor
September 18 2013 5:08 PM
The plan will include defunding Obamacare, the Keystone pipeline and tax reform, setting up a confrontation.