Articles by Laura Matthews
- How The US House Judiciary Committee Will Challenge Immigration, Obamacare
November 27 2013 9:20 AM
Republicans are going after the president for not faithfully executing laws, a strategy that dovetails the two issues.
- Obama's Job Approval Drops Among The Wealthy: Gallup Poll
November 26 2013 11:32 AM
Support for President Obama among those earning $90,000 or more and have post-graduate degrees has dropped 9 percentage points.
- Activist Heckles Obama To Stop Deportation
November 25 2013 4:22 PM
The president said passing immigration reform isn't as easy as shouting, and reiterated he can't take executive action by himself.
- US Immigration Bill Stalls, But Path To Citizenship Support Remains
November 25 2013 11:51 AM
Most Americans favor granting citizenship to undocumented persons; but what's the probability of it passing in an election year?
- US Biz: Some Immigration Activist Concessions?
November 22 2013 5:15 PM
They say it's not doomsday yet, but some business owners worry the immigration stalemate may impact innovation.
- House Could Have 7 Or 8 Immigration Reform Bills
November 20 2013 8:41 AM
Democrats say comprehensive reform is a full course dinner, but they hope the GOP's appetizers won't turn their stomachs.
- Obama Changes Tack (Slightly) On Immigration
November 20 2013 6:30 AM
The GOP wants to fragment immigration reform -- and the president is OK with that, so long as the end product is all-inclusive.
- Lew: Here's The Way To Avoid Another Debt Ceiling Crisis
November 19 2013 12:46 PM
The U.S. Treasury secretary has high hopes: a budget deal that mirrors Obama's blueprint and immediate work on the debt limit.
- Christie Discusses Hillary
November 19 2013 11:09 AM
Christie says he will decide in his own time if and when to run for president, but he has strategic advice for Republicans.
- Gov. Chris Christie: I'll Show You What Is Wrong With Washington
November 19 2013 9:14 AM
There's discord in Washington, D.C., and the New Jersey governor doesn't like it. So here's what he would do.
- At US Budget Talks, Dems And GOP Thinking Small
November 18 2013 12:39 PM
The bipartisan lawmaker group is moving at a snail's pace regarding a budget deal; but there won't be another gov shutdown. (Famous last words.)
- 'Keep Your Health Insurance' Bill Passes House
November 15 2013 1:59 PM
More than 30 Democrats helped Republicans pass the Obamacare fix, 261 to 157.
- US Rep. Gutierrez On Immigration Reform: We Need More Personal Stories
November 15 2013 1:47 PM
Advocates continue to push for their goal, despite Speaker Boehner saying he has no intention of conferencing the House and Senate immigration bills.
- Obama Lets Insurers Offer Cancelled Plans
November 14 2013 12:32 PM
However, insurance companies will be required to notify buyers of protection that won't be included in the plan.
- US Budget Negotiators Still Talking, But No Signs Of Progress (Yet)
November 13 2013 1:35 PM
Budget committee leaders have said they won’t waste time debating unresolved points, but will focus on where deals can be cut.
- How Low Can Congress' Job Approval Rating Go?
November 12 2013 4:47 PM
The previous low approval rating was 10 percent in 2012, according to Gallup. Now it's lower than that.
- Why US Immigration Reform May (Or May Not) Die In 2013
November 12 2013 3:48 PM
Optimists say immigration reform may happen in 2014 if not this year. But some say its chances of happening are nil in either case.
- Immigration Bill Isn't Dead 'Until We Say So,' Advocates Say
November 11 2013 4:10 PM
Republicans maintain there is little time left this year, but advocates say the House can pass reform if it wants to.
- Pelosi: Reach A US Budget By Thanksgiving
October 23 2013 12:41 PM
The House minority leader says this will give U.S. consumers confidence for the holiday season.
- Latest Obamacare Poll Result Is Not Good News For Opponents
October 23 2013 11:35 AM
In a Gallup poll, Republicans still dislike the law, but a slim majority of young people approve of it, among other findings.