Articles by Laura Matthews
- US Budget Conference Committee Delivers, But Are The Votes There?
December 11 2013 11:31 AM
After the budget deal, the hard work begins: trying to pass the bill in the Tea Party-dominated House and Democratic-led Senate.
- Bipartisan Budget Deal Announced
December 10 2013 7:17 PM
A two-year deal was announced Tuesday by the lead congressional budget negotiators.
- Don't Look Now, But Something Novel In US Budget Talks Is Occurring
December 06 2013 1:36 PM
And all the cliches apply: knock-on-wood, fingers-are-crossed etc.
- Dems To Obama: Pause Deportation, If You Want Immigration Reform Progress
December 05 2013 6:28 PM
Democratic lawmakers wrote the president, saying that stopping deportations will boost their coalition's efforts in Congress.
- Budget Deal, Farm Bill Top Congress List, But There Isn't Enough Time
December 05 2013 2:08 PM
The 113th Congress adjourns soon with no immediate fiscal deadlines, but its to-do list is pretty hefty.
- US Immigration Reform Opponents Call Boehner A Sellout
December 04 2013 12:57 PM
Some Republicans say the House speaker has declared his support for amnesty by hiring the Bipartisan Policy Center's Rebecca Tallent.
- 4 Alarmist Claims Of Obama's 'Tyranny'
December 03 2013 5:02 PM
The House Judiciary committee spent one day hearing claims that Obama may be acting outside the law and may be overthrown.
- US Immigration Advocates To Occupy Top Republican's Office
December 03 2013 10:47 AM
Kevin McCarthy, majority whip and third-ranking House Republican, recently said that immigration reform won't get a vote because of a time crunch.
- US House Judiciary Sets Hearings For Obama Acts GOP Finds Unconstitutional
December 03 2013 6:30 AM
House Republicans are ready for another attack on Obama, who they say is violating his oath to faithfully execute the laws.
- No More Government Shutdowns, US Politicians Promise; Seriously?
December 03 2013 6:22 AM
While the sequester spending cuts remain in place, lawmakers try to find an alternative -- and that's proving elusive.
- Conservatives Target Obamacare With Cyber Monday Ads
December 02 2013 12:29 PM
Here’s a Cyber Monday ad some bargain hunters were probably not expecting to see.
- Obamas Meet Fasting Activists
November 29 2013 3:12 PM
The president spent 30 minutes with the activists who are hoping Congress takes up immigration reform.
- AFL-CIO Announces Support For Immigration Reform Fasters
November 27 2013 2:45 PM
National groups are helping activists turn up the pressure on congressional Republicans to vote on immigration reform.
- Obamacare - Another Delay For Small Business Exchanges
November 27 2013 1:27 PM
The administration will hold off small-business enrollment for a year, according to a published report.
- How The US House Judiciary Committee Will Challenge Immigration, Obamacare
November 27 2013 9:20 AM
Republicans are going after the president for not faithfully executing laws, a strategy that dovetails the two issues.
- Obama's Job Approval Drops Among The Wealthy: Gallup Poll
November 26 2013 11:32 AM
Support for President Obama among those earning $90,000 or more and have post-graduate degrees has dropped 9 percentage points.
- Activist Heckles Obama To Stop Deportation
November 25 2013 4:22 PM
The president said passing immigration reform isn't as easy as shouting, and reiterated he can't take executive action by himself.
- US Immigration Bill Stalls, But Path To Citizenship Support Remains
November 25 2013 11:51 AM
Most Americans favor granting citizenship to undocumented persons; but what's the probability of it passing in an election year?
- US Biz: Some Immigration Activist Concessions?
November 22 2013 5:15 PM
They say it's not doomsday yet, but some business owners worry the immigration stalemate may impact innovation.
- House Could Have 7 Or 8 Immigration Reform Bills
November 20 2013 8:41 AM
Democrats say comprehensive reform is a full course dinner, but they hope the GOP's appetizers won't turn their stomachs.