Articles by Laura Matthews
- A Heavyweight Steps Into US Immigration Debate: Mark Zuckerberg
September 18 2013 2:10 PM
The Facebook CEO, who rarely lobbies personally, has said it's his job to support advocates of immigration reform.
- Undocumented Immigrants Promise Civil Unrest To Push For Reform
September 18 2013 11:08 AM
Immigration advocates are angry with a president who, they say, has shifted from their champion to deporter-in-chief.
- US Immigration Reform Is Waiting For Takeoff, Advocates Say
September 17 2013 3:57 PM
Getting the bill out of Congress is possible in '13, say some pro-immigration Republicans. Now they need to convince their party.
- Some Republicans Want To Delay Defunding Obamacare, And Here’s Why
September 17 2013 11:22 AM
The upcoming debt ceiling fight -- and its potential for a U.S. default -- is making GOP hardliners reconsider their short-term strategy.
- 2013 US Immigration Reform: ‘Focus Hasn’t Changed,’ White House Says
September 16 2013 3:14 PM
Press Secretary Jay Carney says Obama is still very much interested in getting an immigration reform bill out of both chambers of Congress.
- Most Americans Still Dislike Obamacare - Good News For Republicans?
September 16 2013 10:37 AM
However, although most Americans disapprove of Obamacare, they are divided on what lawmakers should do about it.
- No Time For Recess If You Want To Fix Immigration, Pelosi Says
September 13 2013 1:26 PM
The Democratic leader encourages lawmakers to cancel recess and add immigration to the issues to resolve now.
- Pelosi: ‘Strong Negative’ Reaction If GOP Won’t Compromise
September 13 2013 12:17 PM
The Democratic leader says her side wants a compromise to avoid a government shutdown, but has yet to see a GOP plan.
- Budget Battle: US House Delays Continuing Resolution Vote, Lacks Support
September 12 2013 12:17 PM
Eighteen days before a U.S. government shutdown, Republicans are arguing among themselves.
- US Immigration Reform Is On Cantor’s Radar, But Don't Hold Your Breath
September 12 2013 5:36 AM
Top Republicans are talking about getting to work on immigration reform, but it's far from certain that this means it will actually happen.
- House Introduces Continuing Resolution To Fund US Government
September 11 2013 12:06 PM
The bill doesn't include language to defund "Obamacare," but House GOP leadership included a concurrent resolution to do just that.
- Cruz Warns House GOP Against Using ‘Procedural Chicanery’ To Defund Obamacare
September 10 2013 3:19 PM
Another symbolic vote against Obamacare is meaningless, says the Republican senator, and will only prolong this "disaster" of a law.
- For US Immigration Reform, Democrats Focus On 'Gettable' House Republicans
September 10 2013 12:36 PM
Amid all the Syria talk, Nancy Pelosi and House Democrats want to keep attention on U.S. immigration reform.
- Conservatives Balk At House Plan To Force Senate Vote To Defund Obamacare
September 10 2013 11:15 AM
Some conservatives prefer a vote on a continuing resolution that funds the federal budget but doesn't include funding for Obamacare.
- House Dems Try To Sell Immigration Bill As Deficit Reduction
September 06 2013 10:40 AM
How do you convince House Republicans to support immigration reform? A California Democrat has an idea: show them the money.
- Bill Clinton Defends Obamacare, 'Impressed' By What He's Seen
September 05 2013 1:27 PM
The former president says if young people can afford to buy insurance, they should, because they won't always be young.
- Should The Undocumented Choose Between Citizenship And Legal Status?
September 04 2013 4:15 PM
As the House stalls on a path to citizenship, an analyst says letting immigrants choose which form of legalization they want could solve the issue.
- Evangelical And Labor Alliance Pushes Boehner For US Immigration Reform
September 04 2013 1:23 PM
Advocates say Syria and budget negotiations are no excuse to push immigration reform to the back burner.
- Both Doves And Hawks Question A Syria Attack
August 31 2013 4:36 PM
Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., is among those who still needs some convincing.
- GOP House Leadership To Act On Syrian Military Action The Week Of Sept 9
August 31 2013 3:24 PM
The GOP leadership says this time frame gives the president time to make his case to Congress and the American people.