Articles by Laura Matthews
- New Orleans Sheriff Won't Cooperate With Feds On Immigration
August 13 2013 1:13 PM
A New Orleans sheriff will keep federal agents who want to verify the immigration status of inmates out of his jail.
- Rubio: Obamacare Defunding Tactic Is A Tough Road
August 13 2013 10:30 AM
Florida Sen. Marco Rubio says Republicans have "got a lot more convincing to do" about defunding Obamacare.
- US Government Shutdown In 2014? Obama Says It Won’t Happen
August 09 2013 4:43 PM
A government shutdown when the economy is picking up is 'a bad idea,' says the president.
- US Immigration Reform: Obama Stays Mum On Executive Action
August 09 2013 4:20 PM
Obama is yet to say if he will use executive action, but noted the Senate bill addresses and improves many of the opposition's concerns.
- Obama Shouldn’t Seek Gain From Immigration Stall, Advocates Say
August 09 2013 12:14 PM
U.S. immigration reform advocates insist that President Obama needs to do more to break the policy gridlock in Congress.
- US Immigration Reform Advocates To Obama: Time To Use Executive Action
August 08 2013 2:31 PM
Frustrated with Congress' foot-dragging, immigration advocates call on the president to suspend deportation and expand "deferred action."
- US Manufacturers To Run Pro-Immigration Reform Ads
August 07 2013 3:17 PM
The National Association of Manufacturers says the August congressional recess is the perfect time for making the case for reform.
- Big Spender Cory Booker Has Huge Lead In Senate Race
August 07 2013 11:22 AM
If polls are any indication, Newark Mayor Cory Booker's big spending is likely to pay off.
- GOP Already In Full Campaign Mode Vs. 'Hillary 2016'
August 06 2013 11:04 AM
'Hillary 2016' currently is only speculation, but the GOP has already amped-up against her -- by hitting the national television networks.
- Cantor: House Will Consider Immigration 'At Some Point' And On 'Our Terms'
August 05 2013 10:50 AM
The only thing House Republicans appear to know at this time is that leadership won't take up the Senate bill on immigration.
- Nonprofit 13th Avenue Envisions An America Without College Loans
August 02 2013 11:10 PM
Only a few years old, the nonprofit 13th Avenue has a plan to send a million Americans to school debt-free.
- House Votes To Halt IRS Enforcement Of Obamacare
August 02 2013 1:58 PM
The 40th vote on Obamacare is the last vote before Congress heads out for August recess.
- Obama: No Negotiation On Debt Ceiling, No Special Treatment For Pentagon
August 01 2013 11:59 AM
Obama revealed his game plan to congressional Democrats in a meeting on Wednesday.
- Obama’s New Corporate Tax Grand Bargain May Be No Deal After All
July 30 2013 12:50 PM
The president plans to push a corporate tax overhaul to break the logjam, but Republicans ask: What about individuals and small businesses?
- Top Donors Urge GOP Shift On Immigration
July 30 2013 11:15 AM
People who wield influence in Republican circles think immigration reform should follow along the lines of what the Senate has already done.
- 52% Of US Would Support Federal Legalization Of Same-Sex Marriage
July 29 2013 11:12 AM
After scoring a big victory against DOMA, supporters of same-sex marriages are winning over most Americans.
- Rubio: Let Obama Choose Between Shutdown And Defunding Obamacare
July 29 2013 10:40 AM
The Florida senator wants the president to face an impossible dilemma: keep the government open by defunding his signature reform.
- Not All Republicans Want To Force A US Government Shutdown Over Obamacare
July 26 2013 1:40 PM
Some fear a backlash while others think shutting down the government over Obamacare is the “dumbest thing” they've ever heard.
- US Debt-Ceiling Fight Looms With DC Players In Recess Mode
July 26 2013 12:16 PM
When they return from August recess, Republicans will have just 9 legislative days to figure out a plan to fund the U.S. government.
- How Do Republicans Plan To Attack Obamacare?
July 26 2013 6:09 AM
Republicans have failed dozens of times at repealing the health care law. What is their last-ditch, all-out effort?