Articles by Laura Matthews
- Obama Says Immigration Reform Can And Should Happen This Year
October 17 2013 1:43 PM
After the shutdown and default deal, the president is bringing the focus back to immigration reform.
- Obama On Washington: 'How Business Is Done In This Town Has To Change'
October 17 2013 12:04 PM
The president praised Congress for ending the "twin threats," but added there "are no winners here."
- After The Shutdown Fight, Obama Wants Immigration Reform In 2013
October 16 2013 5:11 PM
Immigration reform will return to being a top priority of the president once the debt ceiling and government shutdown are resolved.
- US Senate Deal Reached To End Government Shutdown, Avert Default
October 16 2013 1:25 PM
Under the deal, the government will reopen until mid-January and the debt limit will be lifted until early February.
- McConnell Temporarily Halts Work On Bipartisan Senate Bill
October 15 2013 1:37 PM
The Senate minority leader wants to see if the House can actually pass its version of a federal budget and debt ceiling extension bill.
- Pelosi: Speaker Doesn't Have The Votes For His Plan
October 15 2013 12:05 PM
The minority leader says House Republicans are trying to sabotage the Senate's progress regarding a fiscal plan and debt ceiling increase.
- Boehner: House Hasn't Determined Next Move Yet
October 15 2013 11:51 AM
The talks with House members continue, with the speaker adding a decision regarding how to move forward will occur Tuesday.
- House GOP: We Have A Gov't Opening, Debt Ceiling Plan
October 15 2013 10:33 AM
The House GOP isn't waiting for a bipartisan Senate deal: its plan seeks more changes to Obamacare.
- Senators Close To Shutdown-Ending, Debt Ceiling Deal
October 14 2013 4:56 PM
Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell are getting closer, multiple sources are reporting.
- Republican Peter King Lashes Out Against Ted Cruz And His 'Crazy Movement'
October 14 2013 4:20 PM
The New York congressman is concerned the Texas senator could lead the party again to an untenable situation, and he's being vocal about it.
- Immigration Activists Attempt Shutdown Of Deportations
October 14 2013 4:04 PM
After forcing a federal court to temporarily suspend deportations last week, Arizona activists ratchet up the protest.
- Reid Offers McConnell A Deal On US Shutdown And Debt Ceiling
October 14 2013 12:25 PM
Senate Majority Leader McConnell is reportedly looking over his Democratic counterpart's proposal at this very moment.
- Boehner Secure In House Leadership, Says Gingrich
October 13 2013 1:40 PM
A united Republican Party (at least for now) isn't even talking about ousting Boehner as speaker.
- US Approaches Default - Can McConnell And Reid Compromise In Time?
October 13 2013 11:27 AM
All eyes are on the Senate as Oct. 17 draws closer. Some Republicans now say they overreached at first.
- Obama Likes Republicans’ Current Approach, But Still Has Concerns
October 11 2013 4:57 PM
The White House and the GOP are now talking with each other, but neither side is calling it a negotiation.
- Another Day, Another Shutout For Dems And GOP
October 11 2013 3:26 PM
However, despite not having an agreement with the White House yet, Senate Republicans say lawmakers are working on a bipartisan deal.
- Speaking Of Shutdowns: Activists Block Deportation Bus
October 11 2013 2:05 PM
Arizona pro-immigration activists up the stakes by fighting deportation with physical means.
- Obama Open To Short-Term Debt-Ceiling Hike, But It May Not Matter
October 11 2013 11:45 AM
Republicans have floated a short-term debt ceiling increase. But it could be moot. Here's why.
- Boehner, McConnell Score Worst Net Favorable Ratings In Gallup Poll
October 10 2013 5:02 PM
The GOP isn't looking too good to Americans right now. They especially don't approve of Speaker John Boehner.
- US Immigration Reform: Another Casualty Of Government Shutdown?
October 10 2013 4:12 PM
Immigration reform has been dormant for a while, but some opponents say that's not because of Washington's fiscal battles.