Articles by Laura Matthews
- House GOP: We Have A Gov't Opening, Debt Ceiling Plan
October 15 2013 10:33 AM
The House GOP isn't waiting for a bipartisan Senate deal: its plan seeks more changes to Obamacare.
- Senators Close To Shutdown-Ending, Debt Ceiling Deal
October 14 2013 4:56 PM
Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell are getting closer, multiple sources are reporting.
- Republican Peter King Lashes Out Against Ted Cruz And His 'Crazy Movement'
October 14 2013 4:20 PM
The New York congressman is concerned the Texas senator could lead the party again to an untenable situation, and he's being vocal about it.
- Immigration Activists Attempt Shutdown Of Deportations
October 14 2013 4:04 PM
After forcing a federal court to temporarily suspend deportations last week, Arizona activists ratchet up the protest.
- Reid Offers McConnell A Deal On US Shutdown And Debt Ceiling
October 14 2013 12:25 PM
Senate Majority Leader McConnell is reportedly looking over his Democratic counterpart's proposal at this very moment.
- Boehner Secure In House Leadership, Says Gingrich
October 13 2013 1:40 PM
A united Republican Party (at least for now) isn't even talking about ousting Boehner as speaker.
- US Approaches Default - Can McConnell And Reid Compromise In Time?
October 13 2013 11:27 AM
All eyes are on the Senate as Oct. 17 draws closer. Some Republicans now say they overreached at first.
- Obama Likes Republicans’ Current Approach, But Still Has Concerns
October 11 2013 4:57 PM
The White House and the GOP are now talking with each other, but neither side is calling it a negotiation.
- Another Day, Another Shutout For Dems And GOP
October 11 2013 3:26 PM
However, despite not having an agreement with the White House yet, Senate Republicans say lawmakers are working on a bipartisan deal.
- Speaking Of Shutdowns: Activists Block Deportation Bus
October 11 2013 2:05 PM
Arizona pro-immigration activists up the stakes by fighting deportation with physical means.
- Obama Open To Short-Term Debt-Ceiling Hike, But It May Not Matter
October 11 2013 11:45 AM
Republicans have floated a short-term debt ceiling increase. But it could be moot. Here's why.
- Boehner, McConnell Score Worst Net Favorable Ratings In Gallup Poll
October 10 2013 5:02 PM
The GOP isn't looking too good to Americans right now. They especially don't approve of Speaker John Boehner.
- US Immigration Reform: Another Casualty Of Government Shutdown?
October 10 2013 4:12 PM
Immigration reform has been dormant for a while, but some opponents say that's not because of Washington's fiscal battles.
- New House GOP Plan: Holiday Debt-Ceiling Deadline
October 10 2013 12:19 PM
Republicans say they met Obama halfway, and that the short-term plan will give them time to have the conversation they want.
- 8 Scariest (And Funniest) Default Quotes
October 09 2013 7:38 PM
Some say a U.S. default on the debt is a rumor. Others don't want to find out what will happen after the Oct. 17 debt ceiling deadline.
- Obama Refuses To 'Make Extortion A Routine Part Of Our Democracy'
October 08 2013 3:29 PM
The president says he and Democrats are ready to talk, but not before the government shutdown ends and default threats subside.
- Senate Plans Clean Debt Ceiling Bill, But Some Republicans Skeptical Of Deadline
October 08 2013 12:25 PM
The U.S. government shutdown is now merging with the debt ceiling deadline crisis -- and both sides are formulating strategies.
- Virginia, Alaska, Alabama: Where The Shutdown Hits Hardest
October 08 2013 11:25 AM
A prolonged government shutdown would disproportionately affect states that go Republican, according to WalletHub.
- Schumer: Tea Party Planned Shutdown, But Boehner Will Cave
October 07 2013 1:01 PM
The New York senator says the Tea Party has been planning the shutdown for about a year, with Boehner's approval.
- Boehner: US Is Headed For A Default
October 07 2013 11:03 AM
The speaker of the house says he doesn't want a default, but adds that things are headed that way.