Articles by Laura Matthews
- Top Donors Urge GOP Shift On Immigration
July 30 2013 11:15 AM
People who wield influence in Republican circles think immigration reform should follow along the lines of what the Senate has already done.
- 52% Of US Would Support Federal Legalization Of Same-Sex Marriage
July 29 2013 11:12 AM
After scoring a big victory against DOMA, supporters of same-sex marriages are winning over most Americans.
- Rubio: Let Obama Choose Between Shutdown And Defunding Obamacare
July 29 2013 10:40 AM
The Florida senator wants the president to face an impossible dilemma: keep the government open by defunding his signature reform.
- Not All Republicans Want To Force A US Government Shutdown Over Obamacare
July 26 2013 1:40 PM
Some fear a backlash while others think shutting down the government over Obamacare is the “dumbest thing” they've ever heard.
- US Debt-Ceiling Fight Looms With DC Players In Recess Mode
July 26 2013 12:16 PM
When they return from August recess, Republicans will have just 9 legislative days to figure out a plan to fund the U.S. government.
- How Do Republicans Plan To Attack Obamacare?
July 26 2013 6:09 AM
Republicans have failed dozens of times at repealing the health care law. What is their last-ditch, all-out effort?
- Justice Dept.: Texas Now Must Get Pre-Approval Before Changing Voting Rules
July 25 2013 11:59 AM
Attorney General Eric Holder says he will use every tool at his disposal to fight discrimination, but his tools aren't substitutes for laws.
- Obama To Nominate Caroline Kennedy As Ambassador To Japan
July 24 2013 4:13 PM
If confirmed, Kennedy will be the first woman to serve in that post.
- Why The President's New Economic Plan Won't Get Past Republicans
July 24 2013 2:05 PM
Obama has announced a plan to rebuild the economy. Republicans have their own ideas. Neither is going to happen, and here's why.
- Full Text Of President Obama's Speech On The Economy At Knox College
July 24 2013 1:52 PM
If gridlock remains on Capitol Hill, Obama plans to use his executive power to help the middle class where he can.
- Kids Shouldn't Get Same Treatment As Parents, Says Key Republican On Immigration
July 23 2013 4:49 PM
House Judiciary Chairman Bob Goodlatte weighs in on whether children of undocumented immigrants should be legalized.
- Will The GOP Force A US Government Shutdown Over Obamacare?
July 23 2013 1:23 PM
Republicans want to see Obamacare disappear so badly they are willing to not fund the government. Whether it will work is a different story.
- US House Considers Legal Status For Undocumented Immigrants
July 23 2013 11:17 AM
The House Subcommittee on Immigration will hear two panels on the nation's current 11 million undocumented immigrants.
- Why Is Boehner Avoiding The Issue Of Pathway To Citizenship?
July 22 2013 2:46 PM
Picking his battles, the House speaker could be just waiting out the process before demanding action.
- Obama’s Job Approval Rating Dips Before Economy Speech
July 22 2013 10:23 AM
The president's approval rating peaked at 63 percent after his inauguration; it's currently at 47.9 percent.
- ‘Trayvon Martin Could Have Been Me 35 Years Ago’: Obama
July 19 2013 2:30 PM
The U.S. president publicly addressed comments he made last year regarding slain teen Trayvon Martin.
- 3 Republicans Who Won't Escape Immigration Reform During Recess
July 19 2013 1:57 PM
Even during the summer recess, some Republicans won't escape immigration reform. Democrats are taking the fight to their districts.
- House GOP Still Debating Status Of Immigrant Children
July 19 2013 10:30 AM
Some say the children were brought here through no fault of their own but then qualify it, saying "the law's the law."
- US Senate Approves McCarthy As EPA Head
July 18 2013 4:25 PM
Gina McCarthy is an environmental health/air quality expert who will be tasked with fulfilling the administration’s climate change agenda.
- Boehner: Moving Slow On US Immigration Reform Educates People
July 18 2013 3:50 PM
House Republicans are taking their time on immigration reform, but Speaker Boehner says a bill will come before debt ceiling talks.