Articles by Laura Matthews
- Senate Plans Clean Debt Ceiling Bill, But Some Republicans Skeptical Of Deadline
October 08 2013 12:25 PM
The U.S. government shutdown is now merging with the debt ceiling deadline crisis -- and both sides are formulating strategies.
- Virginia, Alaska, Alabama: Where The Shutdown Hits Hardest
October 08 2013 11:25 AM
A prolonged government shutdown would disproportionately affect states that go Republican, according to WalletHub.
- Schumer: Tea Party Planned Shutdown, But Boehner Will Cave
October 07 2013 1:01 PM
The New York senator says the Tea Party has been planning the shutdown for about a year, with Boehner's approval.
- Boehner: US Is Headed For A Default
October 07 2013 11:03 AM
The speaker of the house says he doesn't want a default, but adds that things are headed that way.
- Twitter Mocks Boehner For Saying Impasse ‘Isn’t Some Damn Game’
October 04 2013 1:07 PM
Some people on Twitter just aren't taking the Speaker of the House seriously.
- Boehner: Republicans Weren’t Aiming To Shut Down The Government
October 04 2013 12:28 PM
The speaker said all Republicans are demanding is a sit-down to work out differences with Democrats so that the government can reopen.
- Democrat Wendy Davis To Run For Texas Governor
October 03 2013 6:31 PM
It's an uphill climb for Davis, as Texas hasn't elected a Democratic governor since 1990.
- Zany Reasons Republicans Give For Not Ending The Shutdown
October 03 2013 1:00 PM
Hint: It's all about respect. Or something. Another GOP lawmaker mused he's assuming there's a plan here.
- Obama: A Vote Is The Only Way Out Of The Shutdown
October 03 2013 12:05 PM
The president Thursday will make his case to the American people, starting with small businesses.
- Shutdown Day 2: Obama Meets With Congressional Leaders
October 02 2013 2:43 PM
The White House says the president would not negotiate on Obamacare. As a result, little change is expected.
- These Republicans Want A Clean Continuing Resolution
October 02 2013 1:37 PM
A clean continuing resolution would immediately end the government shutdown, but it will take some Republican buy-in to join with House Democrats.
- House Rules Committee Mulls Shutdown Strategy
October 02 2013 11:28 AM
Democrats are rejecting House bills that would end the shutdown by opening only selected government agencies.
- Senate Democrats To House Republicans: No Go On Small Funding Bills
October 01 2013 5:41 PM
As the shutdown continues, Senate Democrats say they will not be forced to choose between vital government functions.
- President Obama: Not Giving In To 'Republicans' Reckless Demands'
October 01 2013 2:03 PM
President Obama told Republicans to reopen the U.S. government and stop going after Obamacare; the shutdown is hurting Americans.
- Republicans Get Lowest Rating Ever In Quinnipiac Poll
October 01 2013 11:13 AM
A new Quinnipiac poll shows the public is torn about Obamacare, but definitely not when it comes to the Republican strategy to kill it.
- No End To Shutdown In Sight: US Senate Rejects House Conference
October 01 2013 10:39 AM
“The government is closed because of the irrationality that is going on on the other side of the Capitol,” Majority Leader Reid, D-Nev., said.
- 'You Can't Shut It Down,' President Tells GOP Of Obamacare
September 30 2013 5:42 PM
Obama says the health care law is coming, shutdown or not.
- US Senate Rejects 1-Year Obamacare Delay, 54-46
September 30 2013 2:50 PM
The U.S. Senate used a simple majority vote to kill the House amendments to a 2014 continuing resolution.
- Why Last-Ditch Effort To Avert US Gov't Shutdown May Not Work
September 30 2013 2:22 PM
A one-week stopgap bill is said to be one of the strategies Republicans are considering, but it looks like that measure is already dead.
- Reid The Rock: Senate Dems To Defeat Another Attack On Obamacare
September 30 2013 12:19 PM
The federal government is on the brink of a shutdown; the two parties are unlikely to agree on a continuing resolution before midnight.