Articles by Laura Matthews
- A House Comprehensive Immigration Reform Bill Is On The Way - But When?
July 17 2013 1:02 PM
There's still no set date for the House bipartisan gang's bill, as issues are still being resolved.
- Senate Confirms Richard Cordray 66-34 To Head CFPB
July 16 2013 5:54 PM
Cordray waited nearly two years for official confirmation.
- Why Do Republicans Need Immigration Reform? To Stay In The Game
July 16 2013 5:35 PM
Backing immigration reform doesn't guarantee Latinos will switch to Republicans, but it keeps the GOP in the national race.
- Liz Cheney To Challenge Rep. Enzi In Wyoming Next Year: Report
July 16 2013 5:23 PM
Cheney is the daughter of former U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney. Enzi announced Tuesday that he will seek another term.
- Richard Cordray Closer To Official Confirmation For CFPB Post
July 16 2013 12:14 PM
Senate Republicans held up Cordray's nomination for almost two years.
- Telltale Stat: Only Older Americans Support Republicans On Immigration
July 16 2013 10:43 AM
A new poll shows that Americans under age 50 are with Democrats on immigration reform, but neither party has an overwhelming majority.
- DOJ Considering Whether To Prosecute Zimmerman: Reports
July 14 2013 5:01 PM
Multiple news agencies are reporting the U.S. Justice Department has an open investigation and continues to evaluate evidence.
- Republicans Say Immigration Bill Isn't Quite Dead Yet In House
July 14 2013 1:45 PM
Some House Republicans say the Senate bill is unacceptable, but they are working on an alternative.
- Republicans Defend Verdict In The Martin-Zimmerman Murder Case
July 14 2013 11:48 AM
They say Zimmerman should have never been prosecuted and there was plenty of reasonable doubt.
- Celebrities Voice Shock At Zimmerman Verdict
July 14 2013 10:25 AM
Celebrities react strongly after the acquittal of George Zimmerman trial in the killing of Trayvon Martin.
- IRS Scandal: Treasury IG May Have To Again Testify On Hill
July 12 2013 1:08 PM
Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Md., says Inspector General Russell George failed to give Congress several key pieces of information.
- Key House Republicans Working On Kids' Immigration Reform Bill
July 12 2013 12:15 PM
U.S. House Judiciary Chairman Bob Goodlatte says children were brought to the U.S. through "no fault of their own."
- More Americans Are Pro-Immigration, But Still A Minority
July 11 2013 4:29 PM
The percentage of people who want more immigrants is growing, but still nowhere near 50 percent.
- Why Is House GOP Moving Slowly On Immigration Reform?
July 11 2013 2:24 PM
The Obama administration decision to delay parts of the health care law is a sign to slow down, the GOP leadership says.
- Do House Republicans Have A Leadership Problem On Immigration?
July 11 2013 1:35 PM
Speaker Boehner is having a hard time selling members on seeing the big picture on immigration instead of short-term politics.
- No Pension Crisis Solution Means No Pay For Illinois Legislators And Governor
July 10 2013 3:21 PM
Gov. Quinn suspends Illinois legislators' paychecks until there is a pension reform solution.
- US Debt Ceiling Debate May Help Kill Immigration Reform
July 10 2013 11:42 AM
The debt ceiling debate's comeback around October will pressure House Republicans to prioritize, leaving immigration reform aside.
- Why US Immigration Reform Scares John Boehner
July 09 2013 10:24 AM
Boehner can either back a pathway to citizenship, ensuring his party's survival, or do nothing to stop its electoral downtrend.
- 2013 Sequester Cuts Reach Pentagon's Civilian Employees
July 08 2013 11:54 AM
The sequestration affects every military department except civilians in combat zones and those protecting life and property.
- For US House, Immigration Reform Is A Low-Priority Item
July 08 2013 10:53 AM
The House may consider voting on border security bills, but remains focused on energy and student loans -- and even the IRS and Benghazi.