Articles by Laura Matthews
- GOP's McConnell, Cornyn To Cruz: You're On Your Own
September 24 2013 12:06 PM
Top Republicans in the Senate say there's no way they would join Ted Cruz in blocking a continuing resolution that defunds Obamacare.
- Americans To Democrats, Republicans: Compromise On Budget, Debt Issues
September 23 2013 2:21 PM
The U.S. Congress may be polarized, but Americans still think compromise should win out over party orthodoxy.
- Republicans In Disarray Over Obamacare: Some Say Cruz Is 'Bad For The Party'
September 23 2013 11:53 AM
Amid U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz's call for Republicans to unite to end Obamacare, some in the party say he's flat-out wrong.
- Obama Says U.S. Will Be A ‘Deadbeat’ Without A Debt Ceiling Bill
September 20 2013 4:08 PM
The president is still refusing to negotiate on the debt ceiling, saying he won't let anyone allow America to run out on its bill.
- ‘Gang Of Seven’ Defections Weigh On Immigration Reform
September 20 2013 1:03 PM
The bipartisan group for immigration reform is crumbling: Only one Republican remains.
- US House Votes 230-189 To Avert Government Shutdown
September 20 2013 11:32 AM
Ten days before a potential U.S. government shutdown, the House voted for the 42nd time to defund or repeal Obamacare.
- McCain: ‘The Senate Will Not Repeal Or Defund Obamacare’
September 19 2013 5:52 PM
To think otherwise is "not rational," the Arizona senator said.
- Schumer And Reid Warn Republicans: Don't Mess With Obamacare, ‘We Will Not Blink’
September 19 2013 1:32 PM
As they play chicken with Republicans, Democrats say the highway leads to either a government shutdown or a default on the debt.
- Boehner Says He Has Votes To Defund Obamacare, Pelosi Says GOP 'Playing With Fire'
September 19 2013 12:41 PM
Days from a U.S. government shutdown, the language between the parties is getting even more hostile.
- Zuckerberg: ‘11 Million Is A Lot Of People Treated Unfairly’
September 18 2013 5:47 PM
Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg says that even in a divided Washington, things that people agree on should get done.
- House Plan To Increase Debt Limit To Come Next Week, Says Cantor
September 18 2013 5:08 PM
The plan will include defunding Obamacare, the Keystone pipeline and tax reform, setting up a confrontation.
- US House Opts To Vote On Continuing Resolution That Defunds Obamacare
September 18 2013 4:15 PM
Conservatives won out -- and that makes a U.S. government shutdown more likely.
- A Heavyweight Steps Into US Immigration Debate: Mark Zuckerberg
September 18 2013 2:10 PM
The Facebook CEO, who rarely lobbies personally, has said it's his job to support advocates of immigration reform.
- Undocumented Immigrants Promise Civil Unrest To Push For Reform
September 18 2013 11:08 AM
Immigration advocates are angry with a president who, they say, has shifted from their champion to deporter-in-chief.
- US Immigration Reform Is Waiting For Takeoff, Advocates Say
September 17 2013 3:57 PM
Getting the bill out of Congress is possible in '13, say some pro-immigration Republicans. Now they need to convince their party.
- Some Republicans Want To Delay Defunding Obamacare, And Here’s Why
September 17 2013 11:22 AM
The upcoming debt ceiling fight -- and its potential for a U.S. default -- is making GOP hardliners reconsider their short-term strategy.
- 2013 US Immigration Reform: ‘Focus Hasn’t Changed,’ White House Says
September 16 2013 3:14 PM
Press Secretary Jay Carney says Obama is still very much interested in getting an immigration reform bill out of both chambers of Congress.
- Most Americans Still Dislike Obamacare - Good News For Republicans?
September 16 2013 10:37 AM
However, although most Americans disapprove of Obamacare, they are divided on what lawmakers should do about it.
- No Time For Recess If You Want To Fix Immigration, Pelosi Says
September 13 2013 1:26 PM
The Democratic leader encourages lawmakers to cancel recess and add immigration to the issues to resolve now.
- Pelosi: ‘Strong Negative’ Reaction If GOP Won’t Compromise
September 13 2013 12:17 PM
The Democratic leader says her side wants a compromise to avoid a government shutdown, but has yet to see a GOP plan.