Articles by Lisa Mahapatra
- In The US, What Kind Of An Inheritance Can You Expect?
December 06 2013 5:22 AM
Not only do more than half of U.S. retirees expect to leave an inheritance, they expect to leave around $175,000 on average.
- Where Will US Fast-Food Workers Go On Strike Today?
December 05 2013 5:23 AM
Here’s a map of the 100+ U.S. cities where fast-food workers plan to go on strike.
- Who Will Be The United States’ Most Important Allies?
December 04 2013 2:15 PM
The United States will have to deepen and broaden ties with more-recent partners, according to a survey.
- How Are US Students Doing In Math, Science And Reading?
December 04 2013 6:08 AM
One global region scored very high in all three subjects.
- How Corrupt Is Your Government?
December 03 2013 1:27 PM
Guess which region had several of the least-corrupt countries in the world? The answer may surprise you.
- Here’s How Thanksgiving Plates Differed From State To State
December 02 2013 12:40 PM
Though most people eat about 4,500 calories worth of Thanksgiving goodies on the day, what's on the plate depends on the state.
- When Is Suicide OK?
November 27 2013 3:05 PM
Sixty-two percent of U.S. adults believe a person has a moral right to suicide if he or she is in a great deal of pain and has no hope of improvement, but far fewer approve of physician-assisted suicides.
- Where Do All The US Hipsters Live?
November 26 2013 2:33 PM
Looks like Williamsburg and Portland have become too mainstream for hipsters. Here’s where they’re congregating now.
- These 35 Volcanoes Are Currently Erupting
November 26 2013 1:40 PM
The volcano in Indonesia is one of 35 currently erupting volcanoes. Here they are, in a map.
- Nasdaq - To 4,000 And Beyond?
November 25 2013 3:00 PM
The stock index broke the 4,000 mark Monday, but not for the first time. Here’s a timeline of Nasdaq's milestones.
- Which Governments Are The Most Generous?
November 22 2013 3:04 PM
Despite donating the most in dollar amount to humanitarian causes in 2010, the U.S. was not the most generous country in the world.
- Where Were You On These Days?
November 22 2013 10:44 AM
Those old enough to remember where they were when President Kennedy was murdered and one other date.
- The 10 Most Expensive Addresses In The World
November 20 2013 12:25 PM
If you live in these locales, you're not in the low-rent district.
- The Trend For Europe's Trade Deficit With China
November 19 2013 2:59 PM
Both imports from and exports to China from the EU28 member countries declined in the first half of 2013.
- A Timeline Of Every 1,000-Point Increase In The DJIA
November 18 2013 4:17 PM
It took the Dow a mere six months to go from 15,000 to 16,000 points, an eyeblink compared to how long it took to get to its first 1,000 points.
- This Is How Inefficient The US Health Care System Really Is
November 18 2013 1:47 PM
The United States ranks fourth among OECD countries, with the highest health care expenditures per capita, driven by private sector spending.
- The Best Cities For Ordering In On Thanksgiving
November 15 2013 2:20 PM
More restaurants on the East Coast are offering Thanksgiving takeout options than in the Midwest or the West Coast.
- The Google Transparency Report, Mapped
November 14 2013 4:45 PM
The number of requests Google received for private data from governments has more than doubled since 2009.
- What’s The Most Popular Mobile Phone Brand In Your Country?
November 14 2013 2:47 PM
True, the iPhone is sleek and winning the app war, but Samsung is king in 90 countries.
- Here’s How Obesity Relates To Gender, Race And Income In The US
November 13 2013 3:16 PM
There are more correlations between race and obesity than income level and obesity.