Articles by Lisa Mahapatra
- Some Of The Things Dwarf-Tossing Billionaire Prince Alwaleed Owns
June 07 2013 3:14 PM
Prince Alwaleed, known for ranking 29th on Forbes’ list of billionaires and tossing dwarves, claims he’s even richer than the magazine said.
- Compared To Rest Of The World, US Labor Force Is Doing OK
June 06 2013 11:46 AM
So far in 2013, the overall U.S. unemployment rate has fallen 0.4 percentage points, from 7.9 percent in January to 7.5 percent in April.
- How Much Would A Chinese Bride Cost You?
June 06 2013 5:45 AM
Depending on where her family is from, anywhere from 1 million yuan or 8,888 yuan and 9 cows, to absolutely nothing.
- What Your Kids Are Really Up To On The Internet
June 05 2013 11:07 AM
69 percent of young people aged 10-23 take active measures to hide their online behavior from their parents.
- How Much Do Americans Spend Compared To Others?
June 04 2013 4:41 PM
Private consumption in the U.S. accounts for more than 70 percent of GDP.
- Manufacturing: Growth Slows, But So Does Contraction
June 03 2013 4:25 PM
China's manufacturing sector is still shrinking, but at a slower pace than last year.
- China's Elderly Have A Threadbare Safety Net
June 01 2013 11:00 AM
Quality of life for elderly Chinese is abysmally low compared to that of the elderly in the U.S. and U.K.
- Rich Families, Poor Families: Where Do Their Wages Go?
June 01 2013 9:59 AM
Low-income households often spend more than half their annual income on housing.
- 3 More MERS-CoV Patients Die In Saudi Arabia
May 30 2013 3:22 PM
The World Health Organization thinks the MERS-CoV virus could potentially be a huge threat.
- Which Developed Countries Will Be Spending More Than They Can Afford In 2014?
May 30 2013 2:15 PM
In 2014, the U.S. government will likely run a deficit equal to 5.3 percent of GDP.
- In Developed World, How Many Will Be Unemployed In 2014?
May 30 2013 11:47 AM
In 2014, Greece's unemployment will likely hit another record-high of 28.4 percent.
- Germany Leads, But How Efficient Will These Other Economies Be In 2014?
May 29 2013 5:37 PM
By 2014, Germany will be one of the most efficient economies in the world, with an output gap of only -0.2 percent.
- How Much Will These World Economies Grow In 2014?
May 29 2013 3:36 PM
Chile's economy is expected to grow by 5.3 percent in 2014.
- In Providing Basic Needs, Europe Bests The US
May 24 2013 10:20 PM
Despite severe economic challenges, European countries are still among the best places to live. Here's why.
- Republicans Feel Sting Of US Budget Sequestration
May 24 2013 7:04 PM
Republicans were 14 percentage points more likely than Democrats were to report they had experienced negative impacts from the sequester.
- Where The $20.5B Ax In Food Stamps Would Fall
May 23 2013 4:15 PM
The House just approved $20.5 billion in cuts to the federal food stamp program. Which states will feel the pinch the most?
- Mapping The NCoV Virus: 42 Cases, 22 Deaths
May 23 2013 4:09 PM
Click through for a map of all the clusters of confirmed novel coronavirus virus cases:
- Before Tumblr, Mayer Bought These For Yahoo
May 22 2013 1:39 PM
These are the 10 companies that Marissa Mayer acquired for Yahoo before she got to Tumblr.
- These Companies Are Hoarding Billions Overseas
May 21 2013 1:13 PM
These are the top five American companies with the most accumulated offshore profits. And no, Apple isn't one of them.
- Latin America's Ride Into The Big Bucks
May 20 2013 2:32 PM
Despite global decreases in foreign investment, Latin America received more money than ever. Which countries got the most?