Articles by Lisa Mahapatra
- Where Do US Millionaires Live?
January 21 2014 11:34 AM
You might be surprised to learn which states have gained and lost the most seven-figure-income residents.
- US Hate Groups: All 1,007
January 17 2014 3:29 PM
Home to 82 hate groups, California topped the list of the states with the highest number of hate groups.
- Where’s The Closest Pizza Place?
January 16 2014 11:35 AM
Pizza Hut is the most ubiquitous pizza joint in the United States, with Domino's coming in second.
- Religious Hostilities At Six-Year High
January 15 2014 2:31 PM
One-third of the world's countries experienced social hostilities pertaining to religion in 2012, according to a new study by Pew.
- The US Reproductive Health Care And Rights Grade
January 14 2014 12:58 PM
Though the Affordable Care Act is expanding insurance coverage for reproductive health care services, access is getting more limited in some states.
- Globally, It's The Year To Vote
January 14 2014 11:17 AM
Among other locales, this year will see Turkey’s first directly elected president and Fiji’s first democratic parliamentary elections.
- Which Service Providers Do US Customers Curse At The Most?
December 18 2013 8:57 AM
Do you get upset, from time to time, at your cable TV company? You're not the only one.
- A Celebration Amid Intolerance
December 11 2013 4:23 PM
I'm getting married in two weeks, in a country that just criminalized homosexuality again. And it's making me very, very angry.
- The Worst Companies To Work For If You’re Gay
December 10 2013 11:31 AM
More than 50 Fortune 500 companies scored zero out of a potential 100 points when it came to being LGBT-friendly. Here’s the list.
- 90 Percent Of Fortune 500 Companies Are LGBT-Friendly
December 09 2013 3:08 PM
And for the first time, more than 60 percent of all Fortune 500 companies included both sexual orientation and gender identity protections in their company policy.
- Income Inequality In The US, Charted
December 07 2013 10:37 AM
Median income for the wealthiest 5 percent has bounced back to pre-recession levels, but the bottom 20 percent aren’t so lucky.
- In The US, What Kind Of An Inheritance Can You Expect?
December 06 2013 5:22 AM
Not only do more than half of U.S. retirees expect to leave an inheritance, they expect to leave a considerable one.
- Where Will US Fast-Food Workers Go On Strike Today?
December 05 2013 5:23 AM
Here’s a map of the 100+ U.S. cities where fast-food workers plan to go on strike.
- Who Will Be The United States’ Most Important Allies?
December 04 2013 2:15 PM
The United States will have to deepen and broaden ties with more-recent partners, according to a survey.
- How Are US Students Doing In Math, Science And Reading?
December 04 2013 6:08 AM
One global region scored very high in all three subjects.
- How Corrupt Is Your Government?
December 03 2013 1:27 PM
Guess which region had several of the least-corrupt countries in the world? The answer may surprise you.
- Here’s How Thanksgiving Plates Differed From State To State
December 02 2013 12:40 PM
Though most people eat about 4,500 calories worth of Thanksgiving goodies on the day, what's on the plate depends on the state.
- When Is Suicide OK?
November 27 2013 3:05 PM
Sixty-two percent of U.S. adults believe a person has a moral right to suicide if he or she is in a great deal of pain and has no hope of improvement, but far fewer approve of physician-assisted suicides.
- Where Do All The US Hipsters Live?
November 26 2013 2:33 PM
Looks like Williamsburg and Portland have become too mainstream for hipsters. Here’s where they’re congregating now.
- These 35 Volcanoes Are Currently Erupting
November 26 2013 1:40 PM
The volcano in Indonesia is one of 35 currently erupting volcanoes. Here they are, in a map.