Articles by Lisa Mahapatra
- Obamacare Bug Report
October 21 2013 5:09 PM
Almost half of U.S. residents don’t think the health care exchange websites are working well.
- Who Pays Software Engineers The Most?
October 21 2013 12:09 PM
The average base salary for a software engineer at Walmart is $122,110, significantly more than at Microsoft.
- Half Of US Fast-Food Workers Are On Public Assistance
October 18 2013 3:31 PM
Taxpayers are spending $7 billion annually to supplement fast-food workers’ too-low wages.
- How Many Legal Bombs Is JPMorgan’s Jamie Dimon Juggling?
October 18 2013 5:53 AM
JPMorgan Chase’s $1 billion legal bill from September looks like chump change compared to the $20 billion fine it might have to shell out.
- 30 Million People Are Still Living As Slaves
October 17 2013 11:57 AM
More than 50,000 of those being treated as property are in the United States.
- Fast-Food Chains Are Supersizing US Taxes
October 16 2013 12:50 PM
Low wages and a lack of employee benefits at the nation’s 10 largest fast-food chains are costing taxpayers $3.8 billion per year.
- How Popular Is Online Shopping In The EU?
October 15 2013 3:29 PM
Nearly 60 percent of EU Internet users make purchases online.
- How Do US Residents Spend Their Time?
October 15 2013 12:07 PM
Americans spend less time thinking, relaxing and communicating with others than they did in 2003.
- The Economics of US Prime Time: How Much Does A 30-Second Ad Cost?
October 14 2013 11:50 AM
CBS is the priciest network. CW is a bargain.
- Where In The World Do Women Hold The Most Seats In Parliament?
October 12 2013 11:49 AM
Most female parliamentarians are in Latin American and sub-Saharan African countries.
- Where In The World Is Mobile Data Most Affordable?
October 11 2013 6:24 AM
Austria has the most affordable mobile data subscription fees in the world.
- Craving Pumpkin? Portland's The Place To Be
October 10 2013 4:29 PM
Pumpkin pie, muffins, soup, lattes, relish, lasagne... It's easier to find them in some places than others.
- The Most Expensive ZIP Codes In The US
October 09 2013 1:45 PM
Here's a hint where they are: They’re concentrated in New York, California and Florida.
- How Effective Will Obamacare Be In Different States?
October 08 2013 11:55 AM
Some states have a higher percentage of residents who are newly eligible for subsidized health insurance.
- What's A US Vote Worth?
October 07 2013 11:45 AM
A vote in Wyoming has three times more influence than a vote in California.
- Twitter Vs The Competition: Is This The Time For An IPO?
October 04 2013 4:51 PM
Twitter’s revenue per employee is lower than that of six other publicly traded social-media and Internet companies in the IBTimes’ comparison.
- Where Do The Rich People Live In The US? [MAPS]
October 04 2013 10:39 AM
Check out these interactive visualizations of income disparity in major American cities.
- Silk Road Vs. Street: Drug Prices
October 03 2013 4:33 PM
Cocaine was a lot cheaper on Silk Road, the now-defunct online drug marketplace.
- Volatility In US Markets Means Now's The Time To Buy: Analyst
October 03 2013 11:42 AM
Uncertainty in Capitol Hill is causing higher volatility in assets prices; this is a likely buying opportunity.
- How Is Your State Implementing Obamacare?
October 02 2013 11:36 AM
The new health insurance exchanges kicked in on Oct. 1, unaffected by the shutdown. Here’s how each U.S. state is implementing them.