Articles by Lisa Mahapatra
- Average Annual Income In US Is Highest In OECD
November 01 2013 4:51 PM
The average annual income in the U.S. was almost triple the average in Estonia.
- Who’s Watching That?
November 01 2013 11:59 AM
Here's a demographic breakdown of who’s consuming all the news that’s being produced. The results may surprise you.
- Who’s The Richest Person In Your State?
October 30 2013 1:56 PM
The richest man in Washington, and all of America, remains Bill Gates. Find out who's the richest in your state with this interactive map.
- Here’s How Social Media Is Changing News Consumption
October 29 2013 3:50 PM
Younger people are more likely to consume news on Facebook and less likely to consume it elsewhere.
- Global Gender Gap Narrows
October 28 2013 5:04 PM
Women have caught up in some areas in some places, but they are still far behind in the political arena, particularly.
- Where The US Tech Jobs Are
October 25 2013 12:34 PM
They’re not just in California. Here are the counties where the tech sector is growing the fastest.
- Unintended Pregnancies Cost US $12.5 Billion
October 24 2013 3:09 PM
Public programs paid for 65 percent of the 1.7 million births resulting from unintended pregnancies in 2008.
- What Google Search Trends Say About The Economy
October 23 2013 12:23 PM
Searches for “stock quotes” have gone down, while searches for “food stamps” are on the rise.
- US Gas Prices Hit New Low For 2013
October 22 2013 4:03 PM
Americans are paying $3.35/gallon for gas on average right now -- the lowest it’s been this year.
- Breaking Not So Bad
October 22 2013 12:12 PM
Meth lab accidents have fallen by more than 50 percent since 2004.
- Obamacare Bug Report
October 21 2013 5:09 PM
Almost half of U.S. residents don’t think the health care exchange websites are working well.
- Who Pays Software Engineers The Most?
October 21 2013 12:09 PM
The average base salary for a software engineer at Walmart is $122,110, significantly more than at Microsoft.
- Half Of US Fast-Food Workers Are On Public Assistance
October 18 2013 3:31 PM
Taxpayers are spending $7 billion annually to supplement fast-food workers’ too-low wages.
- How Many Legal Bombs Is JPMorgan’s Jamie Dimon Juggling?
October 18 2013 5:53 AM
JPMorgan Chase’s $1 billion legal bill from September looks like chump change compared to the $20 billion fine it might have to shell out.
- 30 Million People Are Still Living As Slaves
October 17 2013 11:57 AM
More than 50,000 of those being treated as property are in the United States.
- Fast-Food Chains Are Supersizing US Taxes
October 16 2013 12:50 PM
Low wages and a lack of employee benefits at the nation’s 10 largest fast-food chains are costing taxpayers $3.8 billion per year.
- How Popular Is Online Shopping In The EU?
October 15 2013 3:29 PM
Nearly 60 percent of EU Internet users make purchases online.
- How Do US Residents Spend Their Time?
October 15 2013 12:07 PM
Americans spend less time thinking, relaxing and communicating with others than they did in 2003.
- The Economics of US Prime Time: How Much Does A 30-Second Ad Cost?
October 14 2013 11:50 AM
CBS is the priciest network. CW is a bargain.
- Where In The World Do Women Hold The Most Seats In Parliament?
October 12 2013 11:49 AM
Most female parliamentarians are in Latin American and sub-Saharan African countries.