Articles by Lisa Mahapatra
- Where Do Women Earn More In The US?
September 30 2013 12:16 PM
The gender wage gap is a lot wider in certain U.S. states, compared to others.
- US Government Shutdown? What’s It To You?
September 27 2013 4:52 PM
No passports, visas or gun permits will be issued starting Oct. 1 if lawmakers can’t agree on a government spending bill.
- If You’re A Woman, Stay Away From Louisiana
September 27 2013 8:27 AM
But you might want to move to Maryland. A new study ranks states by how women-friendly they are.
- The Lost Wallet Experiment
September 26 2013 5:49 AM
Readers Digest 'lost' 192 wallets in 16 cities -- that’s 12 wallets in each city -- to see how many would be returned.
- Angela Merkel In The Haus
September 25 2013 2:10 PM
Angela Merkel, head of Germany's conservative Christian Democratic Union, was re-elected Sunday but narrowly missed an absolute majority.
- Who Are Russia’s Allies And Enemies? [INFOGRAPHIC]
September 21 2013 11:45 AM
Belarus tops the list of allies, and the U.S. tops the list of hostile countries, according to a recent poll of Russian residents.
- This Is Obamacare's Biggest Problem
September 20 2013 5:49 AM
For the first time in 100 years, one party forced through a bill with major national implications without any agreement from the opposing party.
- What Do Americans Think Of Ben Bernanke?
September 19 2013 5:24 AM
Only 42 percent of Americans trust Ben Bernanke to do the right thing for the U.S. economy.
- What's Your Degree Worth? Lifetime US Earnings By Major And Occupation [CHART]
September 17 2013 5:52 AM
U.S. Census Bureau data shows how much undergraduate degree holders will earn in a lifetime, based on their occupation and major.
- More Than Half Of US Residents Don’t Approve Of Obamacare
September 16 2013 2:48 PM
And health insurance exchanges go into effect in just two weeks.
- Where Are The Bros Of Lehman Brothers? [INFOGRAPHIC]
September 13 2013 10:28 PM
When Lehman Brothers collapsed, it took down the careers of Dick Fuld, Erin Callan and Joe Gregory, among others.
- US Economic Freedom On The Decline
September 12 2013 2:56 PM
The United States, which ranked 10th on the Economic Freedom Index, scored 76, the lowest it has scored since 2000.
- Most Muslims Don’t Approve Of Islamic Extremism
September 12 2013 5:34 AM
Clear majorities of the Muslim population in many of the countries surveyed were opposed to violence in the name of Islam.
- Which Countries Have Chemical Weapons?
September 11 2013 5:53 AM
Russia and the United States have had the two largest chemical weapons stockpiles ever owned.
- Did The US Defense Lobby Play A Role In The Syria Vote?
September 10 2013 5:59 AM
Senators who voted "yes" for military force use in Syria received a lot more defense sector money than those who voted "no."
- Where US Low-Wage Workers Have Gone On Strike
September 09 2013 9:56 AM
A map of all the cities where low-wage workers at Walmart and fast-food restaurants have gone on strike recently.
- Where In The World Are The Latest Tax Havens?
September 06 2013 12:38 PM
Looking for a good place to stash cash? Here's a map of countries and regions that are former, current and emerging tax havens.
- How Do People Around The World Feel About Their Country’s Economy?
September 05 2013 5:51 AM
Europeans are still very pessimistic, the Chinese are the most optimistic.
- In The US, Who Doesn’t Pay Taxes?
September 04 2013 1:50 PM
Only 14 percent of U.S. residents pay neither income nor payroll taxes, and most of them are elderly or poor.
- Only Nine Countries Have A Higher Minimum Wage Than The US’
September 03 2013 3:31 PM
After adjusting for buying power, the U.S. minimum wage doesn’t sound quite so low.