Articles by Lisa Mahapatra
- The Global Economy: Minutes Of Minimum-Wage Work To Buy A Big Mac
August 20 2013 12:41 PM
Just 18 minutes of minimum-wage work in Australia earns you a Big Mac, but in Afghanistan and India it takes around 6 hours.
- More Baby Veronicas?
August 19 2013 1:15 PM
More than 800 Native American babies were adopted in the U.S. in the year ending Sept. 30, 2012. Are they at risk of custody battles?
- Is Your Life A Zone Of Privacy Or An Open Book? Play The Game To Find Out
August 16 2013 8:57 PM
We live in a surveillance society. Find out how it affects you.
- This Is Why Marijuana Should Just Be Legalized [CHARTS]
August 16 2013 5:44 AM
One in four U.S. residents feel that the money and effort spent to enforce marijuana laws just isn’t worth it.
- US Has Highest Incarceration Rate In The World [Chart]
August 14 2013 8:03 AM
For every 100,000 people who live in the U.S., 716 are in prison.
- The Cost Of Higher Education For International Students [CHARTS]
August 14 2013 6:09 AM
The United States is the second most-expensive country for international students, behind Australia, according to a new HSBC report.
- How Much Can You Get For Your Old iPhone?
August 13 2013 5:56 AM
Turns out, 16GB iPhones retain value better than iPhones with more memory.
- What Republicans Think Of Their Party
August 12 2013 3:02 PM
Most Republicans agree that the Republican Party needs to make some major changes.
- Climate Change Watch: How Green Is Your State? [MAP]
August 09 2013 11:42 AM
California is great at recycling, and Kansas uses the most renewable energy.
- Which Social-Media Platforms Should Brands Use?
August 09 2013 11:41 AM
Platforms that allow sharing of visual media work are most effective.
- Do Fast-Food Workers Need A Pay Raise? [Infographic]
August 08 2013 9:54 AM
U.S. fast-food industry employees, by the numbers.
- The Sequester Squeeze
August 07 2013 3:08 PM
The federal workforce has been contracting at a faster pace since the sequester kicked in.
- In The US, Who Makes Minimum Wage?
August 07 2013 6:07 AM
That would be mostly food prep and food-service workers.
- US Millennials Taking Longer To Leave The Nest
August 06 2013 6:00 AM
21.6 million U.S. young adults were living in their parents’ homes in 2012, according to a new Pew Research Center report.
- Millennials Are More Forgetful Than Seniors
August 05 2013 11:04 AM
They’re especially bad at remembering what day it is.
- Do You Want To Be An American? Play The Game!
August 02 2013 11:10 PM
More than 700,000 immigrants were naturalized as U.S. citizens in 2012.
- Things China Makes
August 02 2013 9:33 AM
More than 90 percent of all personal computers manufactured in the world in 2011 were made in China.
- The 10 Economically Weakest Cities In The US
July 31 2013 10:58 AM
Nine of them used to be major manufacturing centers.
- US Foreclosures Declining But Still High
July 30 2013 11:01 AM
55,000 foreclosured were completed in June 2013, more than double the 21,000-per-month average in 2007.
- Here’s How Facebook Could Make Even More Money
July 29 2013 11:19 AM
By offering the option of an ad-free experience and focusing on foreign markets.