Articles by Mark Johanson
- A Cure For Jet Lag Could Be On The Horizon
September 04 2013 5:51 AM
Scientists could create a pill to cure jet lag after identifying the mechanism that limits our body clock's ability to adjust.
- Want To Complain About An Airline? Buy A Promoted Tweet
September 03 2013 10:55 PM
What do you do when your airline has lost your luggage and won’t respond to your emails? Buy a promoted tweet on Twitter.
- Burning Man Festival’s Link To A ‘Cargo Cult’ In Vanuatu
September 03 2013 5:34 AM
Who is John Frum? The 2013 Burning Man Festival explores the messianic figure of a remote "cargo cult" from Vanuatu.
- Russia Issues Travel Warning About US
September 03 2013 5:32 AM
Russia issued on Monday a travel warning for the United States. The threat? The U.S. justice system.
- How Well Did The Jersey Shore Fare The Summer After Sandy?
September 02 2013 10:58 AM
Many analysts predicted that summer 2013 would be a complete washout for the post-Sandy Jersey Shore. So was it?
- Rim Fire Smoke Creeps Into Yosemite Valley Over Holiday Weekend
September 01 2013 10:34 PM
Smoke from the raging Rim Fire, fourth-worst in California history, crept into the popular Yosemite Valley over Labor Day weekend.
- Industrial Australia Vs. The Great Barrier Reef: Who Wins?
August 30 2013 9:06 PM
The Great Barrier Reef has made headlines around the world this year, although not for the reasons anyone might have hoped for.
- 10 Destinations Perfect For Fall Travel
August 30 2013 5:49 AM
Some travel destinations are best in the summer. Others in the winter. These 10 spots come alive in the fall.
- How Can Cash-Strapped North Korea Make Money? Tourism
August 29 2013 9:59 PM
North Korea laid out a predictably bombastic plan this week to lure tourists as a source of much-needed foreign revenue.
- Peru Plans $45M Tramway To Remote Inca Site Near Machu Picchu
August 29 2013 6:12 AM
Machu Picchu's "sister city" Choquequirao sees about five tourists a day, but that could change with a new $45 million tramway.
- The World’s Most (And Least) Livable Cities In 2013
August 29 2013 6:12 AM
American cities are nowhere to be found at the top of the 2013 list of the most livable cities in the world.
- La Tomatina Festival Paints Spanish Town Tomato Red
August 28 2013 9:09 PM
Imagine thousands swimming in a sea of pasta sauce and you begin to picture what it was like at La Tomatina Festival 2013.
- Where In The World (115th Edition)
August 28 2013 7:48 PM
Where in the world was this photo taken?
- Vermont And Arizona Feud Over Fall Foliage
August 28 2013 5:58 AM
Who has the best fall foliage in the U.S.? Vermont or … Arizona?
- Washington DC Eyes 2024 Olympic Games
August 28 2013 5:57 AM
Washington, D.C., is one of the only major world capitals that's never hosted an Olympic Games. But that could change in 2024.
- Zimbabwe Proposes $300M ‘Disneyland In Africa’
August 27 2013 6:03 AM
Zimbabwe announced plans this week for a $300 million theme park by Victoria Falls, which officials likened to “Disneyland in Africa.”
- International Tourism Demand Surges Past Expectations
August 27 2013 6:02 AM
The year is off to a terrific start for the global travel and tourism industry with higher-than-predicted growth of 5 percent.
- The UN World Tourism Organization’s Zimbabwe Farce
August 26 2013 10:59 PM
Notorious despot Robert Mugabe is co-hosting the biannual UNWTO summit on the Zimbabwe-Zambia border at Victoria Falls.
- Bridge That Got Dresden Booted Off World Heritage List Opens
August 26 2013 6:02 AM
The controversial Waldschlösschen Bridge got Dresden kicked off Unesco’s World Heritage List four years before it opened on Monday.
- Dollywood Plans $300M ‘Dream’ Expansion
August 25 2013 9:31 PM
Dolly Parton announced this week that her Dollywood theme park would expand to the tune of $300 million over the next 10 years.