Articles by Mathilde Hamel
- Will Paris' Bastille Day Parade Reflect France's Ongoing Economic Gloom?
July 13 2013 11:40 AM
July 14 is France's biggest national day, but the parade on the Champs-Elysees that celebrates it will suffer from budget cuts.
- It's Not Just The NSA Snooping: The French Do It Too
July 12 2013 11:55 AM
Paris is protesting loudly against Washington's snooping, but according to revelations by Le Monde, it does the same -- and worse.
- Vitali Klitschko, Ukraine's Political Heavyweight
July 11 2013 1:56 PM
Polls suggest that Vitali Klitschko, the boxing champion, has a chance to be the next president.
- Two French Journalists Are Missing In Syria
July 10 2013 7:29 AM
Didier Francois and Edouard Elias, two French journalist for the French radio station Europe 1, have been missing in Syria since June 6.
- Erasmus: A European Success
July 09 2013 3:59 PM
Erasmus, launched in 1987, has now become a tool for millions of students across the EU to train for a job.
- Fleeing Ukraine, FEMEN Leader Gets Asylum In France
July 09 2013 3:56 PM
The leader of the protest group famous for topless demonstrations flees her native Ukraine for Paris.
- Can Nicolas Sarkozy Save His Nearly Bankrupt UMP Party?
July 08 2013 4:00 PM
The Union for a Popular Movement party is nearly bankrupt and that could doom Nicolas Sarkozy's political comeback.
- Who Is Albert II, The King Who Kept Belgium Together?
July 03 2013 2:15 PM
Albert of Belgium wasn't even supposed to be king. But after finding himself thrust into the role, he was widely praised.
- French Environment Minister Let Go By President
July 02 2013 4:32 PM
Delphine Batho, the French environment minister, was let go by President Francois Hollande after she criticized the 2014 budget for her department.
- Vitor Gaspar Resigns As Portugal's Finance Minister
July 02 2013 10:09 AM
Portugal's minister of finances resigned on Monday, after engineering massive bailout plan designed to get the country out of recession.
- Europe’s Economic Crisis Prompting Huge South-To-North Migration Within EU
July 02 2013 5:50 AM
Between 2009 and 2011, the number of migrants from southern Europe moving to other EU states jumped by about 45%.
- Macedonia: By Any Other Name, Still Locked Out Of The EU
June 28 2013 2:05 PM
Macedonia's accession into the EU has long been blocked by Greece over its name. But that's only one of the reasons for its failure to join.
- Epic Scandal L’Affaire Tapie Could Take Down Big French Names
June 28 2013 10:23 AM
L'Affaire Tapie has dragged on for more than 20 years and involves some prominent names of France's political and financial elite.
- The Prodigal President: Is Nicolas Sarkozy Preparing A Comeback?
June 27 2013 8:45 AM
With President Hollande doing badly in the polls and no real leader for the UMP party, Sarkozy might have a chance.
- Get Bac: France's High School Exam Losing Prestige And Value
June 26 2013 9:01 AM
Every year, thousands of French students take the baccalauréat exam -- but the test is losing its prestige.
- The French President And His Spanish Double
June 21 2013 3:46 PM
A Spanish priest, who looks just like the French president, has been discovered by a French citizen.
- Bulgarian Parliament Cancels Appointment, But PM Refuses To Step Down
June 21 2013 1:36 PM
People of Bulgaria protested last week against the election of Delyan Peevski as the head of the national security agency. They also asked for the prime minister's resignation.
- Iceland Resumes Commercial Whaling Amid Protests
June 21 2013 12:16 PM
Iceland has resumed commercial whaling, spurring protests from environmental activists. The fin whale is the second-largest mammal in the world and an endangered species.
- Czech Prime Minister Forced To Resign After Scandal
June 21 2013 11:04 AM
Petr Necas, the prime minister of the Czech Republic, was forced to stepped down after the discovery of a political scandal.
- A King, A Mystery Lover, A Possible Princess: Why Belgium Is Abuzz
June 20 2013 3:15 PM
The European kingdom rarely makes headlines. But when a woman who may be a princess wants to sue the king for paternity, it does.