Articles by Maya Shwayder
- Kerry Says Drone Strikes In Pakistan May End 'Soon'
August 01 2013 2:51 PM
The U.S. Secretary of State made a pseudo-promise that drone strikes in Pakistan may end "very, very soon."
- S&P 500 Breaks 1,700 Points For The First Time
August 01 2013 12:24 PM
The bellwether stock index reaches a record high on Thursday morning after an encouraging jobs report from the Labor Department.
- Zimbabwe Waits For Election Results
August 01 2013 10:30 AM
The vote count for the Zimbabwe elections has begun, but the opposition party is already contesting the results.
- Bangladesh Outlaws Islamist Party
August 01 2013 9:11 AM
Overruling protesters, a Bangladesh high court banned the Islamist opposition party Jamaat-e-Islami from running in the next elections.
- Euro zone Manufacturing Rises
August 01 2013 8:43 AM
Manufacturing output rose in Europe, fueling speculation that recovery may be around the corner.
- OJ Simpson Granted Parole On Some Charges But Still In Prison
July 31 2013 1:28 PM
The notorious former football player is currently serving a 33-year sentence in a Nevada prison for kidnapping and armed robbery.
- Egypt Military Breaks Up Pro-Morsi Protests
July 31 2013 12:41 PM
Egypt's interim military-backed government ordered the Interior Ministry to break up violent sit-in protests around Cairo.
- Account Supposedly Belonging To Syria's Assad Pops Up On Instagram
July 31 2013 10:28 AM
In an apparent effort to bolster Assad's image, an Instagram account cropped up last week posting positive pictures of the Syrian leader.
- Syria: Signs Of Civilian Massacre In North Near Aleppo
July 31 2013 8:41 AM
More civilians have been killed in Syria, as rebel and government forces battle over several strategic areas.
- Bradley Manning Acquitted Of Aiding The Enemy
July 30 2013 1:23 PM
The WikiLeaks whistle-blower was convicted of five counts of espionage and acquitted of the most serious charge, aiding the enemy.
- New York State Court On Massive Slurpees: Drink Up
July 30 2013 11:54 AM
It is once again legal to sell, purchase and consume drinks larger than 16 ounces in New York City, a state appellate court ruled Tuesday.
- Obama Drops In: Israel-Palestinian Peace Talks, Day Two
July 30 2013 10:50 AM
The president is meeting with Israeli and Palestinian negotiators in Washington -- the first direct talks between both sides since 2010.
- BP Oil Spill Compensation Fund: Running On Empty
July 30 2013 9:36 AM
BP has to add another $200 million to its rapidly depleting fund for survivors of the Deepwater Horizon tragedy.
- Barclays Seeks $9 Billion Amid Capital Shortfall
July 30 2013 8:57 AM
After new regulations were passed in June in the UK, Barclays is scrambling to fill a $20 billion hole that appeared in its balance sheet.
- 8 Injured In Philly Building Explosion
July 29 2013 1:50 PM
In southern Philadelphia, one person has been seriously burned and seven others have been hurt. No deaths have been reported.
- Mideast Peace Talks Begin In D.C.
July 29 2013 12:40 PM
After 20 years of stalling, Israeli and Palestinian negotiators are finally sitting down for direct talks.
- Scores Killed By Car Bombs In Iraq
July 29 2013 11:03 AM
A coordinated string of 15 to 17 car bombs killed about 50 people in southern Iraq and around Baghdad Monday.
- Saudi Prince Warns Of Nation's Overdependence On Oil Exports
July 29 2013 10:10 AM
While one prince warns the Saudis about being overly dependent on oil exports, another publicly blasts the royal family.
- CIA Training Syrian Rebels In Turkey, Jordan: Report
June 21 2013 3:40 PM
The CIA training reportedly lasts two weeks and involves learning how to use Russian weapons.
- Kickstarter Takes Down Controversial Book
June 21 2013 1:31 PM
The start-up website apologized publicly after a book proposal that feminists argued advocated for sexual assault was allowed to be fully funded.