- Egypt Pulls Its Ambassador From Syria
June 16 2013 2:09 PM
President Morsi announced he is closing the Egyptian Embassy in Damascus and fully supporting the Syrian rebels.
- 5 EgyptAir Passengers From Diverted Flight Seek UK Asylum
June 16 2013 12:27 PM
Scottish police say five passengers on the diverted EgyptAir flight are trying to stay in Scotland.
- Many Iranians Rejoice After Election, But Israel Has Doubts
June 16 2013 11:57 AM
Hassan Rowhani's victory shows a clear mandate for change in Iran, but Israel's prime minister warns against wishful thinking.
- Erdogan Stages Istanbul Rally After Expulsion Of Protesters
June 16 2013 10:38 AM
The Turkish prime minister vows to "crush opponents" after security forces rout demonstrators from Gezi and Taksim.
June 14 2013 3:25 PM
The niceties -- gripped hands, bared teeth, and high-school style backstabbing -- that characterize the United Nations Security Council may be shaping into an honest-to-goodness battle as the United States has announced it will provide firearms to “moderate rebels” in Syria. In response, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad is asking Russia to step up its support of the government.
The Syrian civil war, which was once a part of the Arab Spring, exemplifying the American ideals of democracy and self-determination, will become a proxy fighting ground for two world superpowers to flex their muscles while still smiling at each other across the boardroom, and while civilians die all around them. Both will claim the mandate of “stopping the bloodshed.” Both will, in all likelihood, prolong it; this is now not only a battle of ideals, but another standoff between old enemies who will be damned before they let the other one win.
- Detroit Emergency Manager Paints Grim Economic Picture
June 14 2013 12:51 PM
If Detroit's proposal to pay lenders 10 cents on the dollar is seen as a default, it could force the city into Chapter 9 bankruptcy.
- Iran’s Elections: Up, Running And Extended By Two Hours
June 14 2013 11:53 AM
Iranians headed to the polls on Friday to vote, with turnout estimated to be large but with no front-runner indicated.
- Turkey Update: Tentative Deal Reached
June 14 2013 10:41 AM
At 3 a.m. local time, Turkish officials announced the prime minister had agreed to halt construction in Gezi Park.
- Xerox CEO: 'Tidal Wave Of Women Business Leaders' Ahead
June 14 2013 8:56 AM
The U.S.'s first African-American female CEO said business leaders shouldn't ignore upcoming classes of women business leaders.
- Telegraph Line Running Out, Even In India
June 13 2013 12:53 PM
India's privately owned telegram service, BSNL, announced this week that telegrams will soon become extinct in India.
- Another Greek Strike: Workers React To State Broadcaster Shutdown
June 13 2013 10:21 AM
Greece's transit workers union went on strike, this time to protest the shuttering of state broadcaster ERT.
- Mugabe Sets Zimbabwe Election For July 31
June 13 2013 8:57 AM
Despite opposition protests that a series of election reforms be allowed to pass first, Zimbabwe's president has set the country's election date.
- Death Toll In Syria Now 93,000
June 13 2013 8:13 AM
A new report from the U.N. released Thursday greatly increased the estimated number of fatalities in Syria, with some 6,500 children dead.
- Most Protest Leaders Back Out Of Erdoğan Meeting
June 12 2013 2:40 PM
The Turkish prime minister is still scheduled to meet with some leaders of the Gezi Park protest on Wednesday.
- Facebook Introduces Hashtags
June 12 2013 2:17 PM
Following up on the change that had been rumored since March, Facebook Wednesday announced that hashtags are now integrated.
- Indian Tire Company Buying American Cooper Tire
June 12 2013 10:34 AM
India's Apollo Tyres is buying U.S.-based Cooper Tire for $2.5 billion in cash.
- Copper Prices Hit Six-Week Low
June 12 2013 9:54 AM
Goldman Sachs announced it has closed its long position on copper prices due to the metal hitting a six-week low.
- European Cosmetics Firm Opening US IPO
June 12 2013 8:58 AM
Cosmetics maker Coty opened their first IPO this week, and are expected to receive more than $1 billion in offers.
- Anti-LGBT, Pro-Religion Bill To Pass Russian Government
June 11 2013 2:02 PM
The Russian parliament is due to vote today on two laws concerning the promotion of homosexuality and religion.
- Bomb Threat At Princeton; Evacuation Under Way
June 11 2013 11:23 AM
A spokesperson for Princeton University confirmed that the school received a bomb threat and is being evacuated.