Articles by Maya Shwayder
- Israel Restricts Immigrants From Sending Funds Home
June 04 2013 1:55 PM
The Knesset has passed a bill that will severely restrict the amount of money any undocumented immigrant can send home.
- PIMCO Head To Fed: Quantitative Easing Is Not Working Very Well
June 04 2013 12:35 PM
PIMCO's Bill Gross, head of the world's largest bond fund, critiqued Ben Bernanke's bond policy, saying the Fed is as much at fault as Congress.
- Freeport's Indonesia Mining Operations Halted
June 04 2013 9:55 AM
The Indonesian government shut down production at a U.S.-owned ore mine following the deaths of 28 workers in a May 14 tunnel collapse.
- For China, An Expanded Ethiopian Shoe Factory Fits
June 04 2013 8:40 AM
Chinese shoe mega-exporter Huajian announced Tuesday it will expand a factory in Ethiopia.
- Seven Things To Know About Turkey
June 03 2013 3:59 PM
The protests in Turkey are dominating much of the news cycle. Here are some facts to make you sound informed with your colleagues.
- 'Girls Not Brides' Pushes US On Child-Marriage Policy Issue
May 25 2013 8:00 AM
Representatives of global women's organizations spoke about how the U.S. would benefit by emphasizing a policy designed to end child marriage.
- Iran Shifts Nuclear Development Program Into Overdrive: IAEA
May 23 2013 3:57 PM
If you are worried about Iran's nuclear capabilities, the United Nations has disturbing news.
- Kerry To Israel: Don't Legalize Those Settlements
May 23 2013 12:31 PM
The U.S. secretary of state is in Jerusalem, again. But before going, he pulled an uncommon diplomatic stunt.
- American Cancer Society Turns 100
May 22 2013 4:29 PM
New incidents of cancer have been trending downward for the last 20 years, the American Cancer Society reports, as it celebrates its 100th birthday.
- Day Three Of Rioting In Normally Calm Sweden -- What's Behind It?
May 22 2013 12:05 PM
Sweden has been hit with three consecutive nights of riots after the police shooting of a 69-year-old man.
- Bangladesh Calls Building Collapse 'Culpable Homicide'
May 22 2013 11:05 AM
A secretary of the Home Ministry told journalists the committee had found five reasons for the collapse, including "low-quality construction materials."
- John Kerry In The Middle East, Round Four
May 21 2013 9:01 AM
The U.S. Secretary of State will attempt to initiate a solution for both the Syrian and Palestinian-Israeli conflicts -- for the fourth time.
- Bangladesh Factory Functioning With Cracks In Walls After Wal-Mart Ban
May 20 2013 1:32 PM
A Bangladeshi garment factory is continuing to produce Wrangler shirts despite being banned by Wal-Mart, according to a Reuters report.
- Myanmar Leader To Visit White House For First Time In 50 Years
May 20 2013 10:48 AM
Former Burmese junta leader Thein Sein is now a democratic friend of the U.S., but critical voices on human rights persist.
- Where In The World Are The Military Drones?
May 18 2013 10:20 AM
The U.S. has by far the greatest variety of military drones in the world. Check out the other 59 countries that also possess military drones.
- Russia Ships Advanced Cruise Missiles To Syria
May 17 2013 12:33 PM
The death toll in Syria is now above 80,000 and the number of refugees stands at 1.5 million, according to U.N. estimates.
- Brennan In Israel, While Fatah Wants One-State Solution
May 17 2013 10:21 AM
CIA Director John Brennan is in Israel following a letter from Fatah officials which declared their support for a one-state solution.
- Turkish PM To Visit Gaza, Over US Protests
May 16 2013 2:50 PM
Despite pressure from the U.S. to skip it, Recep Tayyip Erdogan reaffirmed his decision to visit Gaza.
- Twitter Users Are Going To Hell: Saudi Police Chief
May 16 2013 10:44 AM
In Saudi Arabia's ongoing war on social media, an official warned Twitter users that they have "lost this world."
- Clashes As Palestinians Mark 'Day Of The Catastrophe'
May 15 2013 10:29 AM
Yom Al-Nakba, or Day of the Catastrophe, is a commemoration of the day when hundreds of thousands of Palestinians were forced out of their homes.