Articles by Maya Shwayder
- English Only? The State Department's Got You Covered
May 14 2013 2:48 PM
A new app, simply titled "American English," is available for download on any phone that runs Java or Android.
- Back In The USSR: Before Ryan Fogle, Other US And Russian Spies
May 14 2013 12:14 PM
Ryan Fogle, who was apprehended Tuesday morning, is the latest high-profile case involving Russia and spies in the post Cold-War era.
- Alleged CIA Agent Detained In Moscow
May 14 2013 8:15 AM
Russian authorities have detained a man working at the Moscow U.S. Embassy for allegedly attempting to recruit a Russian intelligence officer.
- Everyone Should Eat More Insects: UN Report
May 13 2013 2:16 PM
The Food and Agriculture Organization says that for environmental and health purposes, people should eat bugs.
- Bangladesh Death Toll: Now More Than 1,100
May 13 2013 11:23 AM
The Bangladeshi government said Monday the April 24 garment factory collapse near the capital Dhaka has killed an estimated 1,100 people.
- Muslim Brotherhood Official A No-Show In D.C.
May 11 2013 10:09 AM
The Muslim Brotherhood may have forced Helmy El-Gazzar to cancel his address.
- Pakistan’s Vote: Unprecedented, Unpredictable, Possibly Deadly
May 10 2013 3:41 PM
Saturday will mark the first time in Pakistan's history that a civilian government has completed a full term in office.
- Religious Jews To Protest Women Praying At Western Wall
May 10 2013 1:15 AM
Women of the Wall, a group supporting religious and gender equality, won a huge court battle in Jerusalem. Ultra-religious sects are not pleased.
- Prince Harry Comes To America
May 09 2013 2:24 PM
Prince Harry of England is currently gracing the former colonies with his presence and will be doing so for the next seven days.
- More Than 900 Now Confirmed Killed In Bangladesh Building Collapse
May 09 2013 11:12 AM
More bodies were pulled out of the rubble Thursday night in Bangladesh, and eight others were killed in another factory fire on Thursday.
- Queen Elizabeth II Opens Session Of UK Parliament
May 08 2013 12:29 PM
The official opening of parliament featured high pomp and circumstance, as well as police looking for Guy Fawkes wannabes.
- Bangladesh Building Collapse Death Toll Rises to More Than 800
May 08 2013 11:02 AM
Also, a Bangladeshi minister said 18 other garment factories would be shut down due to safety concerns.
- 31 People Arrested After $50M Belgium Diamond Theft
May 08 2013 8:36 AM
The Belgian prosecutor's office announced Wednesday that 31 people have been arrested in connection with a huge diamond heist in February.
- Turkey Failing Syrian Refugees: NGO
May 06 2013 4:43 PM
Turkey has one of the highest numbers of Syrian refugees, but the government may not have a sustainable plan for them.
- What Was Israel Bombing? Iranian Missiles That Can Hit Tel Aviv
May 06 2013 12:45 PM
Fateh-110s are short-range ballistic missiles that, experts say, if fired from southern Lebanon, could easily reach Tel Aviv.
- Bangladesh Building Collapse Death Toll Now More Than 600
May 06 2013 10:07 AM
The owner of the building in Bangladesh that collapsed is in police custody and may be charged with murder.
- 5 Americans Killed In Afghanistan, NATO Says
May 04 2013 1:57 PM
April was the deadliest month in Afghanistan, and so far this year close to 50 NATO soldiers have been killed.
- Israeli Air Force Strikes Targets Inside Syria
May 04 2013 1:06 PM
The Israeli Air Force struck several targets in Syria on Thursday night. No chemical weapon stockpiles were hit.
- Obama Is In Mexico. Why?
May 02 2013 10:14 PM
Trade, drug trade, and immigration will all be discussed, but some topics will be discussed more openly than others.
- It’s May 1! It’s International Workers’ Day!
May 01 2013 12:51 PM
May 1, May Day, or various permutations of Laborer's/Workers' Day, is taken seriously in a few parts of the world.