Articles by Michelle FlorCruz
- Beemers and Bikinis Brought In To Boost China's Overloaded Real Estate Market
April 19 2014 12:54 PM
Developers try flashy deals in hopes of creating demand in struggling third- and fourth-tier markets.
- From Millionaires To Mafiosi, China's Gunslingers Grow
April 14 2014 4:23 PM
Privately-owned guns are strictly banned in China, but that's not stopping the emergence of a gun culture of sorts.
- How China's Private Equity Princelings Raise Billions
April 10 2014 2:52 PM
The offspring of China's elite is taking its clout to the private equity world.
- China's Latest Crackdown Hits Weddings And Funerals
April 10 2014 5:52 AM
Chinese officials now need to seek advance approval before spending on large occasions like weddings or funerals.
- Roundup Of Chinese Party Boss Associates Continues
April 09 2014 5:09 PM
An anti-corruption investigation is closing in on former Chinese Community Party boss Zhou Yongkang as another associate is charged.
- Who Won North Korea's 'Elections'? Hint: He Had No Opponents
April 09 2014 12:22 PM
You guessed it: Kim Jong-Un has formally been named the leader of the pariah state, like his father and grandfather.
- Why 'Doctor Who' Could Be Coming To North Korea
April 08 2014 12:25 AM
Three BBC programs are being considered for a North Korean release, including cult classic "Dr. Who."
- China vs. Japan Island Dispute Fought Via Textbooks, Too
April 07 2014 3:21 PM
The ongoing territorial dispute between China and Japan has found a new medium. And South Korea even gets a mention.
- Pyongyang Shoots For The Stars With New 'NADA' Space Program
April 03 2014 5:37 PM
North Korea wants its presence known in space, but it's not there yet, not by a long shot.
- One More Problem In The South China Sea: A Chinese Hostage
April 03 2014 3:04 PM
After flight MH370 turned relations between China and Malaysia rocky, a hostage situation could make things worse with the Philippines.
- Zap! Pow! Guess Who’s Coming To China
April 02 2014 3:01 PM
Hollywood stars, particularly those in superhero flicks, will likely find themselves doing promo events at a new essential stop.
- As Billionaire Trial Opens, China May Go After A Bigger Target
April 01 2014 4:21 PM
The Chinese president's anti-corruption drive is targeting the "Shanghai Gang," a powerful faction of the Communist Party.
- Becoming A Doctor In China Means Being A Target of Violence
March 29 2014 10:49 AM
China's troubled medical system inadvertently subjects its doctors to violence in hospitals.
- Malaysian Airlines Flights No Longer Offered On Chinese Travel Sites
March 28 2014 1:57 PM
The Malaysian Airlines travel boycott now extends to China's popular online booking websites.
- Taiwan Vs. Mainland China: A Feud That Extends Beyond Governments
March 27 2014 6:22 AM
Though cross-strait ties between Beijing and Taipei show signs of improvement, both governments have yet to convince their citizens.
- A Plane Disappears, And China's Military Appears
March 26 2014 4:09 PM
China's strategic response to the Flight 370 search has boosted national confidence in exerting power in the South China Sea.
- For Flight 370 Relatives - Grief, Anger, Frustration
March 25 2014 11:50 AM
China allowed the relatives of passengers of Flight 370 to protest in front of the Malaysian embassy in Beijing.
- Is Taiwan The Next Crimea?
March 24 2014 2:46 PM
Taiwanese students have stormed the capital over a trade agreement with Beijing that they fear will marginalize them economically and politically.
- First Lady Obama To China's Students: Freedom Of Speech Is A 'Universal Right'
March 24 2014 12:05 PM
U.S. first lady Michelle Obama's trip has been mostly fun and games, but she also took an opportunity to plug democracy.
- Some Chinese Men Are Getting Priced Out Of Marriage
March 22 2014 11:10 AM
In some areas, men will have to save for 23 years in order to buy the expected pre-wedding present.