Articles by Mike Obel
- US Stock Market Sets Yet Another Record
May 07 2013 12:43 PM
U.S. and German stock market indexes set records on an array of encouraging reports and central bank actions.
- Portugal Gets A Lifeline From Bond Investors
May 07 2013 8:18 AM
Debt-burdened country finds investors willing to loan it 3 billion euros, despite the country's diminished credit ratings.
- Like Some Video Ads With Your Status Updates?
May 07 2013 7:43 AM
In a bid to rake in some online video ad revenue, Facebook will start putting video ads in user profiles in July.
- Dow Jones, S&P 500 Reach Record Highs
May 03 2013 4:10 PM
The U.S. equity market's bull run stampeded higher Friday, setting record highs amid a declining level of investor worries.
- Dow Tops 15,000 For First Time Ever
May 03 2013 10:56 AM
Both the blue-chip index and the broader S&P 500 crossed historic thresholds after a strong April U.S. jobs report.
- Recovery Revving Up? US Added 165K Jobs In April
May 03 2013 8:34 AM
Job increases for March and February were revised substantially higher, while the unemployment rate fell to 7.5 percent.
- US Jobless Claims Plunge To 5-Year Low
May 02 2013 8:36 AM
The number of initial jobless claims fell by 18,000 to 324,000, and the key four-week moving average also declined.
- Fed Maintains Bond-Buying Pace But Is Prepared To Change
May 01 2013 2:13 PM
The Fed said it can increase/reduce purchases to maintain the appropriate policy as the outlook for the labor market or inflation changes.
- Index Shows Continued US Factory-Sector Slowdown
May 01 2013 10:09 AM
U.S. manufacturing extended its yearlong growth decline in April, with a key indicator slipping more than anticipated.
- Below Expectations: US Companies In April Added Fewer Jobs
May 01 2013 8:22 AM
Analysts expected private employers to create 158,000 jobs last month. They got 75 percent of that forecast.
- Sony's Top Execs Return About $10M In Bonuses
May 01 2013 7:42 AM
Sony's CEO enforces pay for performance: Top executives must return bonuses as key business loses money, again.
- China's Manufacturing Hit By Falling Exports In April
May 01 2013 7:15 AM
China's manufacturers found less demand for their products last month so factories were less busy. Not a good sign.