Articles by Mike Obel
- DJIA In Uncharted Waters
November 06 2013 4:17 PM
This bull market may be long in the tooth, but apparently someone forgot to tell investors.
- Insurance Giant Sued For Alleged Obamacare Deception
November 06 2013 2:28 PM
Two California lawsuits could augur a wave of insurance bad-faith litigation.
- Ford's Q3 Earnings Beat The Street
October 24 2013 7:25 AM
Asian operations added $126 million in pretax profits, offsetting continued weakness in Europe.
- One Take On Obamacare Premiums In Each State (Excluding Subsidies)
October 18 2013 9:25 AM
The Heritage Foundation's calculations do not include federal subsidies that are available for some applicants.
- Goldman Sachs (GS) Q3 Profit Falls 2% As Its Bond-Trading Volume Drops
October 17 2013 8:12 AM
It looks like bond traders at the New York investment bank won't be getting bonuses this year.
- Citi Q3 Falls Slightly, Missing Expectations
October 15 2013 8:10 AM
However, "expense discipline" was a bright spot in the bank's third-quarter earnings.
- JPMorgan Chase Posts Q3 Loss Of $380M As Legal Costs Jump
October 11 2013 7:17 AM
Legal bills, currently at $9.2 billion and still climbing, trashed the third-quarter performance of the nation's largest bank by assets.
- Budget, Debt Ceiling Worries Prompt Dollar Spike
October 08 2013 4:21 PM
European and Asian banks are paying high-rising premiums to get their hands on dollars as Washington's gridlock grinds on.
- How Did Christians Become The World's Spittoon?
October 04 2013 10:33 AM
In the words of Herman's Hermits, of 20th century musical fame, "There's a kind of hush all over the world tonight ... "
- US Government Default Could Trigger A Depression: Analyst
October 03 2013 11:30 AM
Further, Richard Bove's conclusion about the effect of a default may actually be rosy, as he himself admits.
- Enjoy Q3 Stock Gains, They Won't Last: Analyst
September 26 2013 10:09 AM
According to an economic analyst, you should brace yourself for "pathological speculative activity and rapid balance sheet expansion."
- NYSE, S&P 500 Set Record Highs
September 18 2013 4:37 PM
In its statement, the Fed said, in effect, that it is not happy with the pace and extent of the U.S. economy's recovery.
- Africa’s Economy On Cusp Of Giga-GDP Growth
September 13 2013 12:03 PM
This may be Africa’s moment: Consider that mining may be one of the least of its many potentially lucrative assets and attributes.
- August India's Industrial Production Jumps 2.6%
September 12 2013 8:36 AM
Asia's third-largest economy posted a big gain in its industrial production last month after falling for the previous two months.
- Aug. US Job Total Lukewarm, But July's Revision Disappoints
September 06 2013 8:33 AM
The weaker-than-expected August jobs report and July's big downward revision may compel the Fed to delay its monetary stimulus reduction.
- Aug. US Private-Sector Job Gain Less Than Expected
September 05 2013 8:22 AM
The August ADP private-sector job creation report may foretell a weak August nonfarm payroll report from the Labor Department.
- Why The Rupee Has Free Fallen To A Record Low
August 28 2013 3:39 PM
The makings of India's unprecedented currency collapse are basically home-grown.
- The Fed Won't Stop Spiking The Punch Bowl Just Yet
August 27 2013 1:01 PM
Doubts are growing about the ability of the U.S. economy to maintain its rather modest recovery, and that may delay Fed stimulus removal.
- UBS Economist Predicts Global Economic Revitalization
August 26 2013 12:20 PM
Things are getting better -- significantly better -- says UBS economist Larry Hatheway.
- ‘Lethal Taper 3’: Bernanke, Yellen, Summers As Pesci, Gibson, Glover
August 23 2013 11:45 AM
The increasingly lengthy drama around who will succeed Ben Bernanke as Fed chair has left an opening among commentators seeking clever metaphors to capture the suspense.