Articles by Mike Obel
- Just Call It 'Golden Slacks' Not Goldman Sachs
July 16 2013 7:56 AM
The U.S. economy may be sluggish but Goldman Sachs registered another impressive quarter, on trading, loans, and commodities.
- Ethiopian 787 Dreamliner Parked At Heathrow Airport Catches Fire, Runways Re-opened
July 12 2013 12:21 PM
Officials closed two runways and dispatched emergency crews after the plane caught fire; no injuries reported so far.
- US House Leaders To Put Bare-Bones Farm Bill To Floor Vote
July 11 2013 9:33 AM
It's not at all clear what the Republican leadership of the U.S. House of Representatives will do if Thursday's farm bill vote fails.
- Kroger Paying $2.4B For Harris Teeter
July 09 2013 8:26 AM
Kroger's purchase of Harris Teeter isn't expected to affect its ability to maintain dividend payments.
- NYSE Takes Over Libor - Key Interest Rate Metric
July 09 2013 6:58 AM
Will the switch of control over the world's most important interest rate restore trust?
- May's US Trade Deficit Bodes Poorly For GDP Growth
July 03 2013 10:08 AM
Economists have been disappointed by the May trade deficit figures for the United States.
- EXCO Resources Paying $1B For Chesapeake Energy Acreage
July 03 2013 9:28 AM
Chesapeake Energy's year-to-date asset sales have now reached about $3.6 billion.
- June Jump - US Companies Increased Hiring At Summer's Start
July 03 2013 8:30 AM
Most new jobs last month were created in the utilities and transportation sectors, ADP said.
- June US Layoffs Rise From May, But Still Down From 2012
July 03 2013 7:53 AM
Most job cuts related to health care stemmed from lower Medicare reimbursements and state Medicaid cutbacks.
- US Mortgage Applications Fell 12% Last Week: MBA
July 03 2013 7:26 AM
The home refinancing segment has been particularly hard hit by the sudden rise in interest rates.
- Rosneft Paying $2.9B For Total Ownership Of Itera
July 02 2013 8:33 AM
The deal will advance Rosneft's goal of becoming the largest independent natural gas producer in Russia.
- Helicopter Crash In Siberia Kills 11 Children, 8 Adults
July 02 2013 7:47 AM
Eleven children died in a helicopter crash in a mountainous region of Siberia. Eight adults also died.
- US Manufacturing Expansion Slowed In June
July 01 2013 9:09 AM
The loss of export orders is causing U.S. manufacturers to pull back on hiring, Markit said.
- The Last 3 Months Have Been Brutal For Gold Investors: What's Next?
June 28 2013 9:53 PM
Gold rallied on the last day of the second quarter, but it was a case of too little, too late.
- Bogus Anti-Keystone News Release Stirs Confusion
June 28 2013 12:30 PM
The bogus website "YourTDBank.com," was hosted by Electric Embers Cooperative Inc.
- US Q1 GDP Revised Down
June 26 2013 8:41 AM
In the first quarter, consumer spending, the main driver of the economy, was weaker than the initial estimate.
- Gold Plunges 5.6% After Fed Signals Possible Stimulus Reduction
June 20 2013 7:47 AM
The price of gold has fallen by nearly one-third since October 2012 - but where is the world's most precious metal headed from here?
- US 10-Year Treasury Rate Surges During Bernanke Chat
June 19 2013 3:36 PM
U.S. Treasury yields registered their biggest increase in 30 months -- on sentiment that high unemployment will fall sooner than expected.
- JPMorgan Chase, One Equity Partners Parting Ways
June 14 2013 4:06 PM
Jamie Dimon's efforts to simplify the sprawling financial behemoth that is JPMorgan Chase means the spin-off of One Equity Partners.
- Gannett Gets Affiliated With Belo For $1.5B
June 13 2013 8:41 AM
Gannett is buying Belo to become one of America's biggest owners of TV network affiliates.