Articles by Mike Obel
- Economists Expect Yellen To Succeed Bernanke: Poll
June 12 2013 12:15 PM
Fed member Yellen's views on monetary policy resemble those of the U.S. central bank's current chairman, Ben Bernanke.
- Kinross Gold Abandons Huge Ecuadorian Venture
June 11 2013 7:37 AM
Ecuador's leftist government demanded a 70 percent windfall profits tax for access to the world's largest untapped gold resource.
- Corn, Wheat Farmland In US Has Been Surging In Price
June 11 2013 5:53 AM
Rising demand for wheat and corn have inflated the price of U.S. farmland used to grow those two grains.
- US Retail Sales Among Key Economic Events June 10-14
June 09 2013 1:20 PM
U.S. consumer sentiment will also be in focus this week.
- Fed Likely To Wind Down Bond Buying: Analysis
June 07 2013 1:29 PM
The May jobs report suggests the economy is stronger than it was nine months ago when the Fed launched its third round of monetary easing.
- US Economy Created 175,000 Jobs Last Month
June 07 2013 8:34 AM
U.S employers created more jobs than nearly all Wall Street analysts had expected, a key signal the economy is in recovery mode.
- Brazil's Sovereign Debt Outlook Declining: S&P
June 07 2013 7:45 AM
Brazil's sovereign debt may be downgraded in the next 2 years on concern about government spending and weak economic growth.
- Pepsi Sees A New Revenue Stream In SodaStream
June 06 2013 9:16 AM
PepsiCo is thirsty for the revenue that would come from SodaStream International, whose U.S. sales have doubled since 2012.
- US Job Numbers Disappoint In May
June 05 2013 8:21 AM
U.S. companies created 135,000 jobs last month, missing analysts' expectations, which ranged from 157,000 to 165,000.
- IKEA Founder Ingvar Kamprad Resigns, Son Takes Over
June 05 2013 7:36 AM
The gray eminence of the world's biggest furniture retailer will not disappear; he'll remain a senior adviser.
- China Ratchets Up Trade Tensions With EU
June 05 2013 7:03 AM
It's Beijing vs. Brussels as China launches probe of European Union wine subsidies. Is it paybacks for tariffs on solar panels?
- US Commercial Real Estate Draws Foreign Investors
June 04 2013 7:26 AM
"Give me your ailing investors, your huddled money managers yearning for success ..."
- US Manufacturing Posts Slight Increase In May
June 03 2013 9:30 AM
American factories posted a steady-as-she-goes performance in May -- modest but still better than their European counterparts.
- Euro Zone Factories Contract By Smallest Amount In Months
June 03 2013 7:34 AM
Here's what qualifies as good news about European manufacturing: It's not shrinking as fast as it had been for the past 22 months.
- US Auto Sales, Jobless Reports Among Key Economic Events
June 01 2013 6:03 PM
The prospect that the U.S. central bank will turn off its monetary spigot hangs like a specter over this week’s economic reports.
- Average Family Has Regained Just 45% Of Recession Losses
May 31 2013 8:51 AM
The damage to U.S. household balance sheets has fallen disproportionately on minorities and the uneducated.
- US Q1 GDP Trimmed
May 30 2013 9:09 AM
Analysts said the revised GDP stat is better than it appears: The 2.4% gain occurred despite a 4.9% plunge in government spending.
- General David Petraeus Joins Hedge Fund KKR
May 30 2013 7:55 AM
The 60-year-old war hero and former head of U.S. intelligence is going from "doing good" to "doing well."
- Top Republican OK With Corp. Tax On Repatriated Profits, Provided ...
May 29 2013 12:11 PM
U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan urges repatriation of foreign earnings by U.S. companies, if the tax on those earnings is cut from its current 35%.
- Smithfield Foods Being Sold To China's Shuanghui
May 29 2013 9:12 AM
Smithfield Foods appears to have succumbed to activist shareholder pressure to return more value to investors.