Some folks seem to have an almost religious commitment to demonizing dissent from the dogma du jour on guns -- and one of the quickest ways to draw it out is to suggest that empirical evidence might be relevant to the discussion.
Articles by Mike Obel
- General Electric's 1Q Beats Street
April 19 2013 9:43 AM
Aviation and energy sales generated a surprisingly large first-quarter profit for General Electric.
- Police Identify Boston Bombing Suspect No. 2 As Dzhokhar Tsarnaev
April 19 2013 7:25 AM
Police name one of the two brothers as Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19. Authorities seal off Watertown, Mass., to aid search.
- Beige Book Shows All Fed Districts Report Growth
April 17 2013 2:29 PM
Information technology and residential construction emerge as the economy's leading sectors, in the latest Beige Book.
- Bank Of America's Q1 Up, But Misses Estimates
April 17 2013 8:02 AM
The nation's second-largest bank is improving but not at the pace Wall Street would like.
- Goldman Sachs Reports Big Q1 Profit
April 16 2013 8:02 AM
Banking and lending plus investment banking boost Goldman Sachs first-quarter results, more than had been expected.
- The Bottom Falls Out From Under The Price Of Gold
April 15 2013 4:18 PM
The 12-year-old bull market in gold appears over. Analysts search for an explanation why the market virtually crashed.
- Gold Glitters Even Less - How Low Can It Go?
April 15 2013 8:57 AM
Last week, two major institutions, Societe Generale and Goldman Sachs, recommended clients make bets that the price of gold would fall.
- Why Washington Can't Fix The Economy
April 13 2013 9:22 AM
It walks like a recession, it sounds like a recession, it looks like a recession ... and it's a recovery?
- Obama's 2014 Budget: Trending Toward Balance?
April 10 2013 8:30 AM
For the first time in his presidency, Barack Obama has proposed to slow the rate of Social Security benefit increases.
- Goldman Sachs Goes Negative On Gold
April 10 2013 7:54 AM
Exchange-traded fund redemptions are contributing to Goldman Sachs' prediction that the gold price will slide to $1,450 by year's end.
- Longshoremen 'Go Long' With Work Deal
April 10 2013 7:22 AM
It's been well over a year since port operations on the East and Gulf coasts have had a contract.
- Qihoo 360 Facing, And Rebutting, Charges Of Data Theft
April 09 2013 5:05 PM
Qihoo 360 Technology rebuts accusations that its popular antivirus program and browser "stole" users' private information.
- US Biz Confidence Sputters On Future Concern: NFIB
April 09 2013 8:32 AM
Small business owners were less optimistic in March than in recent months about the U.S. economy's direction, according to a new study.
- Lagardere Sells 7.5% Stake In EADS For $2.98B
April 09 2013 7:42 AM
Lagardere waited until EADS shares rose sharply before selling all of the 61 million shares it held in the company.
- GE Taps Lufkin Industries For $3.3 Billion
April 08 2013 9:02 AM
With the purchase of Lufkin, GE has expanded its investments in the upstream oil and gas business.
- China's Xi: Business Secrets Are Safe Here
April 08 2013 7:37 AM
China's leader addresses a long-standing complaint of non-Chinese companies in his country: corporate espionage.
- North Korea To Pull 55,000 People From Kaesong
April 08 2013 7:11 AM
Another week, another threatening move: North Korea announces a provocative act du jour.
- US Economy Creates A Mere 88,000 Jobs In March
April 05 2013 9:07 AM
The unexpectedly weak March jobs report hammered the markets, but economists cautioned against overreacting.
- Samsung Riding Surging Galaxy Sales To Big 1Q 2013
April 05 2013 7:11 AM
Galaxy S4 sales are booming in emerging markets, and the upshot will be a big first quarter for Samsung Electronics.