Articles by Mike Obel
- US Jobless Claims Plunge To 5-Year Low
May 02 2013 8:36 AM
The number of initial jobless claims fell by 18,000 to 324,000, and the key four-week moving average also declined.
- Fed Maintains Bond-Buying Pace But Is Prepared To Change
May 01 2013 2:13 PM
The Fed said it can increase/reduce purchases to maintain the appropriate policy as the outlook for the labor market or inflation changes.
- Index Shows Continued US Factory-Sector Slowdown
May 01 2013 10:09 AM
U.S. manufacturing extended its yearlong growth decline in April, with a key indicator slipping more than anticipated.
- Below Expectations: US Companies In April Added Fewer Jobs
May 01 2013 8:22 AM
Analysts expected private employers to create 158,000 jobs last month. They got 75 percent of that forecast.
- Sony's Top Execs Return About $10M In Bonuses
May 01 2013 7:42 AM
Sony's CEO enforces pay for performance: Top executives must return bonuses as key business loses money, again.
- China's Manufacturing Hit By Falling Exports In April
May 01 2013 7:15 AM
China's manufacturers found less demand for their products last month so factories were less busy. Not a good sign.
- April US Consumer Confidence Up More Than Expected
April 30 2013 10:06 AM
However, confidence remains below its historic level, and it's too soon to tell if the rise will endure, analysts say.
- US Home Prices Surge 9.3% In February
April 30 2013 9:08 AM
The pace of U.S. real estate price increases is accelerating, and the housing sector remains the brightest sector in the economy.
- S&P 500 Climbs To Record High
April 29 2013 4:49 PM
The broad-based S&P 500 stock index set its second record in a month Monday, on strong tech and energy stock gains.
- Another Sign Of US Factory Slowdown?
April 29 2013 10:45 AM
Factories in Texas are stagnating, according to a report by the Dallas Federal Reserve Bank.
- Personal Income, Consumer Spending Up 0.2 Percent In March; Inflation Tame
April 29 2013 8:40 AM
U.S. consumer spending in March rose more than had been expected by analysts. Meanwhile, core inflation remains low.
- US Consumer Sentiment Down In April
April 26 2013 10:08 AM
The widely followed consumer sentiment index waned this month, adding to a recent spate of bad economic news.
- Silver Institute Sees Lower Silver Prices In 2013
April 24 2013 8:24 AM
The damage from the recent sell-off in silver prices will not likely be repaired this year.
- DJIA Drops 1% After Fake AP Tweet, Quickly Recovers
April 23 2013 2:52 PM
A fake tweet about the White House being attacked and the president being injured hammered stocks, for a moment.
- Euro Zone Business Activity Extends Contraction
April 23 2013 7:42 AM
The monetary union in April extended its exploration of just how low it can go in terms of business activity.
- Facebook Building $1.5B Data Center In Altoona, Iowa
April 22 2013 6:42 AM
Altoona, a suburb of Des Moines, Iowa, gets another big high tech project.
- Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, And 'For Whom The Bell Tolls'
April 19 2013 3:01 PM
Dzhokhar will die, on the street or in a prison. Justice has its demands.
- General Electric's 1Q Beats Street
April 19 2013 9:43 AM
Aviation and energy sales generated a surprisingly large first-quarter profit for General Electric.
- Police Identify Boston Bombing Suspect No. 2 As Dzhokhar Tsarnaev
April 19 2013 7:25 AM
Police name one of the two brothers as Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19. Authorities seal off Watertown, Mass., to aid search.
- Beige Book Shows All Fed Districts Report Growth
April 17 2013 2:29 PM
Information technology and residential construction emerge as the economy's leading sectors, in the latest Beige Book.