Articles by Mike Obel
- Fed's Lockhart: Bank Could Taper QE This Year
April 02 2013 1:45 PM
If unemployment data continues to improve, the head of the Atlanta Fed said he may support cutting back on quantitative easing.
- Vodafone May Be Sold For $245B To Verizon, AT&T
April 02 2013 1:32 PM
If the deal goes through, it will be the largest corporate acquisition in history.
- Cypriot Finance Minister Michael Sarris Resigns
April 02 2013 8:48 AM
Sarris was instrumental in negotiating with the so-called troika, the International Monetary Fund, ECB and the EU.
- All Nippon Airways' Pilots Retraining For 787 Dreamliner Jets
April 02 2013 7:54 AM
The airline’s decision reflects its expectation of regulatory approvals for Boeing’s new lithium-ion battery, which it will install on all 787s.
- Europe's Factory Output Sinking, Joblessness Soaring
April 02 2013 7:25 AM
Particularly troublesome in March was manufacturing in Germany. And how bad is youth unemployment in Greece?
- Russia's Lukoil Says 'Da' To Hess Unit For $2B
April 01 2013 12:09 PM
The value of assets Hess Corp. has divested so far this year has now climbed to $3.4 billion.
- France's Hollande: Raise Taxes On Corporate Millionaires
March 29 2013 7:29 AM
France, with a 10.6 percent jobless rate, aims to hike company taxes on high salaries by as much as 50 percent.
- S&P 500, Dow In Uncharted Waters, Again
March 28 2013 4:07 PM
Investors focused on the orderly reopening of Cypriot banks and a positive revision to the fourth-quarter U.S. GDP statistic.
- US Economy Grew Slightly In 4Q
March 28 2013 8:52 AM
The revised 0.4 percent fourth-quarter growth stat suggests that the U.S. economy is less likely to tip into a recession.
- Crying All The Way To The Bank
March 27 2013 11:18 AM
For the first time in the history of the euro zone, a member nation, Cyprus, is instituting capital controls.
- BOE To British Banks: Raise More Capital
March 27 2013 10:36 AM
British banks have about nine months to raise about $38 billion in Tier 1 capital.
- Mumbai Search Engine Eyes IPO
March 27 2013 7:38 AM
The search engine, which could have an IPO in the next 20 days, draws from a national database of local businesses, services and product.
- 8 Federal Agencies Chasing JPMorgan Chase
March 27 2013 7:19 AM
Relations between the nation's largest bank and Washington are deteriorating. Just count the number of investigations.
- Agribusiness Giants Settle Seed Dispute
March 26 2013 3:30 PM
The agreement settles DuPont's long-running patent dispute over Monsanto's line of genetically modified seed products.
- Warren Buffett Likes Goldman Sachs Even More
March 26 2013 12:20 PM
Warren Buffett becomes a top shareholder of New York's Goldman Sachs investment bank.
- OECD Nations Hiked Taxes In 2012 For Second Year In Row
March 26 2013 7:26 AM
In case someone was visiting another planet the last two years, taxes on Earth are up, according to the OECD.
- Euro Zone: Five Years, Five Bailouts, Five Takeaways
March 26 2013 5:56 AM
As the dust from the Cyprus financial rescue settles, an altered landscape is emerging.
- Fed's Quantitative Easing Not Sparking Currency War: Bernanke
March 25 2013 2:31 PM
Ben Bernanke dismissed worries that the Federal Reserve’s money printing is raising the likelihood of a global currency war.
- China Petroleum & Chemical To Buy $3B In Oil, Gas Assets
March 25 2013 7:15 AM
Sinopec goes hunting for ways to cut its imports of crude oil.
- Cyprus Reaches Deal With ECB, EU, IMF On Financial Bailout
March 24 2013 9:15 PM
Just hours away from financial ruin, one of the tiniest countries in the euro zone agreed to severe terms for a financial rescue.