Articles by Mike Obel
- Fed's Quantitative Easing Not Sparking Currency War: Bernanke
March 25 2013 2:31 PM
Ben Bernanke dismissed worries that the Federal Reserve’s money printing is raising the likelihood of a global currency war.
- China Petroleum & Chemical To Buy $3B In Oil, Gas Assets
March 25 2013 7:15 AM
Sinopec goes hunting for ways to cut its imports of crude oil.
- Cyprus Reaches Deal With ECB, EU, IMF On Financial Bailout
March 24 2013 9:15 PM
Just hours away from financial ruin, one of the tiniest countries in the euro zone agreed to severe terms for a financial rescue.
- Cyprus Has Only Hours To Avert Tumbling Over Financial Cliff
March 23 2013 9:45 AM
The world watched Saturday as Cyprus struggled to repair years of financial mismanagement.
- Cyprus OKs Reform To Help Secure Bailout
March 22 2013 6:03 PM
After days of talks, Cyprus realized it had no choice but to accept harsh euro-zone bailout terms, including a one-time bank-deposit levy.
- Cyprus Vents Anger, As EU Weighs New Bailout Plan
March 22 2013 7:31 AM
The EU gauged Cyprus' latest plan to raise money as Russia decides not to help prevent a Cypriot meltdown.
- Obama Affirms Commitment To Palestinian State
March 21 2013 8:18 AM
Attention quickly turned to rockets fired by Gaza-based Palestinian militants into southern Israel during Obama's visit.
- Troika To Cyprus: Take It Or Leave It, By Monday
March 21 2013 7:28 AM
Cyprus is fast exhausting options to avoid financial ruin as Brussels and Moscow watch it rush to the precipice.
- Gushing: US Crude Oil Production About To Top Imports
March 20 2013 2:08 PM
U.S. crude oil production is on track to exceed imports this year. Anadarko Petroleum is showing why.
- French Police Raid IMF Head Lagarde's Home
March 20 2013 10:45 AM
Lagarde is suspected of being complicit in embezzling public funds on behalf of a supporter of former President Sarkozy.
- Afghans To Join Ranks Of Oil Producers This Year
March 20 2013 8:31 AM
Crude oil production and refining are growth industries in Afghanistan, and China aims to profit from it.
- Russia May Want Cyprus Naval Port For Bailout
March 20 2013 7:37 AM
Cyprus is in intense negotiations with Russian and European Union leaders for help to avoid a financial collapse.
- Cyprus Says 'Hands Off Our Savings'
March 19 2013 4:42 PM
Where the island nation heads now -- seek easier terms from lenders or default on its sovereign debt - is unclear.
- Cypriot Politics Starting To Look As Shaky As Its Finances
March 19 2013 2:45 PM
Unless terms for financially rescuing Cyprus are eased, it may be forced to exit the euro zone.
- Citi Settles Housing Bubble Suit for $730M
March 19 2013 8:43 AM
The bank, which denied allegations that it misled, said the suit stemmed from its sale of preferred stock and debt from 5/06 to 11/08.
- Ryanair Really Likes Boeing
March 19 2013 7:21 AM
Europe's dominant discount airline ordered 175 Boeing 737-800 jets, and aims to nearly double its fleet by 2018.
- Today Cyprus, Tomorrow Italy Or Spain?
March 18 2013 12:02 PM
Cyprus' financial woes are haunting Europe and have a global impact. The question now is how serious this may become.
- Tick, Tock... Cyprus Delays Critical Vote
March 18 2013 8:12 AM
Cypriot lawmakers won't vote on a radical plan to assess a fee on bank depositors' savings until Tuesday.
- Cypriot Leaders Aim To Revise Bank Savings Fee
March 18 2013 7:34 AM
The euro zone bailout of Cyprus is threatening the stability of the monetary union.
- Obama To Propose 'Energy Security Trust'
March 15 2013 8:00 AM
The president wants Congress to authorize $2 billion to develop alternative fuels.