Articles by Moran Zhang
- The Outlook For China's Property Market
January 08 2014 5:57 AM
A major bank has pertinent thoughts on this key real estate market.
- Suddenly, China Is Totally Into Bank Sector Privatization
January 07 2014 10:30 AM
China’s banking sector has been mostly off-limits to private capital. That’s soon going to change.
- Will The US End 2013 With A Strong Jobs Report?
January 07 2014 6:55 AM
There are signs the U.S. economy is strengthening, which suggests a solid year for GDP and job growth in 2014.
- How China Wants To Shed Light On Shadow Banking
January 06 2014 11:42 AM
Regulators vow to monitor informal lending more closely and limit the growth in loans created outside of formal channels.
- China: More Cash Crunches Ahead
January 03 2014 1:51 PM
But HSBC economists predict that rate spikes won't hurt growth in 2014.
- Earnings For Jan.6-10: Monsanto, Alcoa, Micron
January 03 2014 7:47 AM
Q4 earnings season kicks off next week, with Alcoa Inc. (NYSE: AA) announcing its earnings results on Jan. 9. Here's a list of what to watch for.
- The Year Of Horse For Vietnam
January 03 2014 7:45 AM
Economists say the main bright spots in 2014 for Vietnam will continue to be export-oriented firms.
- Why China's Local Governments Will Never Default
January 02 2014 11:38 AM
Beijing is too concerned about growth to allow local governments to default. The best way to get rid of maturing debt? Roll it over.
- China SOEs Are The Biggest Losers Of 2013
December 31 2013 7:11 AM
China's state-owned enterprises have enjoyed easy access to cheap loans and subsidies, but reform is coming.
- How China's Ballooning Local Gov't Debt Endangers Its Economy
December 30 2013 11:12 AM
China's total government debt amounted to approximately 53 percent of GDP. By comparison, the U.S. has a debt-to-GDP ratio of 73 percent.
- How Quickly Is China's Economy Gaining On The US?
December 27 2013 10:39 AM
While the U.S. eventually will lose its position as the world’s largest economy, this day is now expected to come later than previously forecast.
- In China, A Telecom 'Open Door'
December 26 2013 11:26 AM
Beijing wants private companies to have a greater role in state-run industries such as telecom.
- China's Smog Too Thick For Santa To Fly In
December 26 2013 8:45 AM
While China's GDP growth slowed again in 2013, it's still growing too fast, and the cost is environmental degradation.
- China Local Government Debt Doubles In 2 Years
December 24 2013 4:29 PM
The debt may have skyrocketed to about 20 trillion yuan ($3.3 trillion) at the end of 2012, a government think tank says.
- China's Banking System: It Isn't Quantum Physics, Apparently
December 24 2013 10:54 AM
Jingyuan Yao, former chief economist and spokesman for China’s National Bureau of Statistics, had choice words on the banking system.
- Japan: 7 Themes To Watch In 2014
December 24 2013 6:52 AM
Here’s a rundown of what economists think are the major local events/themes that will shape Japan’s economy and markets in 2014.
- Beijing: Cash Crunch? What Cash Crunch?
December 23 2013 12:49 PM
Beijing has become so worried about the worsening credit crunch that propaganda authorities have banned media use of the term "cash crunch."
- The States With The Most Underwater Mortgages
December 17 2013 2:56 PM
Despite improvements in the housing market, 6.4 million U.S. homeowners still owed more on their homes than what they're worth, CoreLogic said.
- Meet The Top 10 Creditors To The US
December 17 2013 10:15 AM
Foreign investors didn't shy away from U.S. Treasuries during the government shutdown and the threat to default in October.
- Fed December Meeting Preview: Why There May Not Be A Stimulus Reduction
December 17 2013 4:59 AM
Wednesday's post-FOMC press conference will also be Bernanke’s farewell appearance as Fed chairman.