Articles by Moran Zhang
- Many Historic Italian Brands Shuttered As Recession Drags On
August 27 2013 6:00 AM
It is too soon to conclude that the crisis in Italy is nearing an end.
- Economic Events For Week Ahead: US Q2 GDP Revision, Durable Goods
August 24 2013 11:51 AM
In the U.S., revised Q2 GDP should indicate steady momentum.
- Why September Is The Worst Month For Markets
August 23 2013 11:40 AM
Historically, September is the worst month for U.S. stocks. It’s also the month with the most banking crises.
- Joy Global, Tiffany, TiVo: Earnings Preview For This Week
August 23 2013 6:04 AM
So far, 71 percent of the 483 companies in the S&P 500 that have reported quarterly earnings topped profit estimates.
- 7 Reasons Why You Don’t Want To Be A Farmer In China
August 22 2013 5:43 AM
A look at why China has the worst farms in the world.
- July Fed Minutes: Few Stimulus Clues
August 21 2013 2:28 PM
The Fed said economic data since the July meeting has been mixed and inflation is still running below its 2 percent target.
- Back To Beltway Brinkmanship: Lots To Do, Little Time To Do It
August 20 2013 3:44 PM
The U.S. budget battle will escalate once Congress returns from its August recess. Oh, joy.
- New Faces For The FOMC
August 20 2013 7:50 AM
The comings and goings of the Federal Open Market Committee could confuse markets about the direction of Fed policy.
- Thailand's Unexpected Recession Creates Dilemma For Central Bank
August 19 2013 11:36 AM
Thailand has become the latest emerging market to be hit by falling growth. But its central bank will likely leave interest rates unchanged.
- Economic Events For Aug.19-23: FOMC Minutes, China August Flash HSBC Manufacturing PMI
August 16 2013 3:59 PM
Next week's focus will be on the July FOMC minutes, Jackson Hole symposium and China's August HSBC flash manufacturing PMI.
- Earnings For Aug.19-23: HP, JC Penney, Best Buy
August 16 2013 12:01 PM
Even as the earnings season wanes, several leading retailers will post quarterly results next week.
- US Housing Starts - A Slowdown In Growth?
August 16 2013 8:46 AM
U.S. housing starts and building permits rose less than expected in July as rising mortgage rates hit the housing market.
- Is The Bad Debt Of China’s Banks A Cause For Concern?
August 15 2013 3:10 PM
Why worry about bad debt? China's central government will bail out large financial institutions when they are in trouble.
- Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Drops Gannett, Bets On Dish
August 15 2013 10:06 AM
Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway unloaded all shares it held of newspaper company Gannett in the second quarter.
- Baidu Taps 91 Wireless For $1.85 Billion
August 14 2013 11:02 AM
China's search engine giant Baidu just wrote a big check to attract mobile users.
- Jackson Hole Central Bankers' Conference: Who’s Going And Who’s Not?
August 14 2013 8:23 AM
Many key figures are skipping the Aug.22-24 annual gathering in the Grand Tetons, Wyo.
- China’s Oversupply Of Cement Hits Uncontrollable Level; Cutback Ordered
August 14 2013 7:51 AM
If cement production continues at the same pace, the industry could face a disaster.
- How Long Can Japan Avoid A Currency War Amid A Rising Yen?
August 13 2013 5:58 AM
The BoJ is ready to take its ultra-loose monetary policy to the next level in the coming months, analysts say.
- US Home Price Growth Is Bound To Slow
August 13 2013 5:54 AM
Analysts expect home-price growth to slow further on rising interest rates and increasing supply.
- This Week’s Economic Events: Euro Zone GDP, US Retails Sales
August 12 2013 10:21 AM
Euro zone GDP probably stopped contracting in the second quarter after a record six quarters of decline.