- China Turbocharges Financial Reform In Shanghai
July 04 2013 2:43 PM
Exploring yuan convertibility in Shanghai, the free-trade zone will be the first in mainland China.
- Do You ‘Like’ The US Blowing $630Gs On Facebook Fans?
July 04 2013 12:07 PM
The U.S. State Department is under fire for shelling out $630,000 to buy Facebook Inc. (Nasdaq: FB) “likes,” a 57-page report says.
- 4th Of July Facts: Most US Flags, Fireworks Made In China
July 04 2013 10:37 AM
Fireworks and flags may be the centerpiece for this all-American holiday, but there’s little about them that's made in America.
- China’s Housing Market Is In Recovery Mode, But Is That Good News?
July 03 2013 1:58 PM
China's government hasn't been able to pop the nation's increasingly large real estate bubble.
- Evaluating China's June Economic Tea Leaves
July 03 2013 6:06 AM
Beijing is carefully tamping down expectations for the second-quarter GDP data due out on July 15. How low can it go?
- US Housing Prices Rise In May By Most In 7 Years
July 02 2013 9:15 AM
Real estate data provider CoreLogic said Tuesday that home prices rose from a year ago in 48 states.
- US June Jobs Report Preview – More Moderate Growth Or A Swoon?
July 02 2013 5:38 AM
A “status quo” jobs report reflecting continued labor market healing will probably nudge the Fed toward tapering.
- World’s 10 Most Valuable Firms: All American; None Chinese
June 29 2013 1:57 PM
For the first time since 2006, no Chinese companies rank among the world’s 10 biggest outfits by market value, and all are U.S.-based.
- Vietnam’s Stimulus A ‘Sugar High’ That Won’t Last
June 28 2013 6:11 AM
The outlook for Vietnam is altogether grim: its debt-laden banks are in crisis and Hanoi does not have the money to recapitalize them.
- Slovenia Falls From Economic Grace, Struggling To Dodge A Bailout
June 27 2013 6:09 AM
Slovenia’s banking sector is saddled with about 6.8 billion euros ($8.87 billion) worth of nonperforming loans, which is equivalent to 20% of its GDP.
- Fed's Easy-Money Policy Doesn't Have To End In Tears
June 27 2013 5:47 AM
By hinting at a QE expiration date, Bernanke has essentially hit the reset button on the global financial system. But it’s all for the better.
- T(w)o: Central Banks - Don't Blink
June 26 2013 9:25 AM
Five years and trillions of dollars later, central banks in China and the U.S. are determined to mop up their excessive liquidity.
Leaders of the world’s largest banks have been desperately trying to escape the ghosts of the financial industry’s bad old days -- Libor rate manipulation, tax avoidance, rogue trading, swap misselling and the breaking of antimoney laundering rules -- and rebrand the industry as a responsible force for good in the economy.
Well, good luck with that.
Barclays PLC (NYSE: BCS) Chairman David Walker recently fired back against what he said has become the “political and media industry” of badmouthing banks and bankers, and insisted on banks’ irreplaceable role in a free-market economy.
- Edward Snowden Admits Taking Booz Allen Job To Access NSA Surveillance Evidence
June 24 2013 5:49 PM
Edward Snowden told the South China Morning Post that he took a position at Booz Allen for the purpose of accessing NSA information.
- This Week's Economic Events: US Housing Data On Tap
June 24 2013 5:49 AM
This week’s U.S. data releases are likely to highlight the current contrast between trends in the industrial and household sectors.
- Japanese Foreign Direct Investment A One-Way Street
June 21 2013 2:45 PM
Japan Inc.’s aggressive foray abroad has been stagnating investment at home.
- Monsanto, Nike, Walgreen: Earnings To Watch June 24-28
June 21 2013 6:12 AM
There's only one week left in 2Q, and the current trend points to the worst earnings season since 1Q of 2001.
- Bernanke Won't Comment On New Term
June 19 2013 1:17 PM
The Fed chair ducked questions on a possible departure, and added he may start tapering QE this year. He wants "maximum employment."
- Nigeria: Banking Sector Not Out Of The Woods Yet
June 19 2013 5:46 AM
There are fears that non-performing loans might start to tick back up again in Nigeria's banking sector.
- Fed Tapering: Winners & Losers
June 18 2013 2:33 PM
Which types of U.S. investors will gain when the Federal Reserve eventually tapers -- i.e., decreases -- its quantitative easing program?