- Thai heading to general election after House dissolution
May 10 2011 7:10 AM
Thailand Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said the House of Representatives has been dissolved to make way for general elections under the system of democracy.
- Palestinians not to get salaries as Israel withholds payments
May 10 2011 6:59 AM
Palestine Prime Minister Salam Fayyad said on Monday that the Palestine Authority (PA) will not be able to pay the salaries of its employees on time this month due to Israel's hostile stand.
- US seeks Pakistan nod to interrogate bin Laden’s wives
May 10 2011 6:12 AM
Pakistan may now allow United States to question bin Laden’s wives and children, who have been in custody of the Pakistani forces, said a U.S. official on Monday.
- Hamaoka shutdown to result in job losses: Japan finance minister
May 10 2011 5:25 AM
Japan’s finance minister Yoshihiko Noda said on Tuesday that the shutdown of the Hamaoka Power Plant for at least two years may result in job losses and affect the country’s already fragile economy.
- Update on Fukushima plant: Experts find up to 700 ms of radiation
May 09 2011 9:48 AM
Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) said Monday the radiation level inside one of the reactor buildings of the damaged Fukushima power plant has reached 700 millisierverts per hour, surpassing the expected level.
- Paul Allen blames Bill Gates for causing $40-billion loss
May 09 2011 7:33 AM
Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen has blamed his former friend Bill Gates for a $40-billion loss that he said he incurred by not investing in AOL.
- Chubu nuclear plant's closure triggers drop in shares
May 09 2011 7:33 AM
Following the shut down of Chubu nuclear power plant in Hamaoka, central Japan on Monday, the shares of Japan’s Chubu Electric saw a steep decline in the market.
- Osama bin Laden died long before Abbattobad operation: Iran
May 09 2011 6:31 AM
Iran's Intelligence Minister Heidar Moslehi said his government has reliable information that Bin Laden died of illness long before the Operation Geronimo on May 1.
- India's Supreme Court stays verdict on Ayodhya temple
May 09 2011 4:55 AM
The Indian Supreme Court on Monday stayed Allahabad High Court’s verdict on the Ramjanmabhoomi-Babri Masjid land dispute.
- Christian-Muslim clashes in Egypt upset gains of revolution
May 09 2011 4:31 AM
The clashes between Muslims and Christians in Egypt over the weekend left 12 people killed, 180 wounded and one al-Azraa church burnt, giving a new dimension to the post-revolutionary democracy.
- Hurricane hits China food factory, 4 killed
May 09 2011 4:29 AM
A hurricane struck the Foshan City in Guangdong Province in southern China for the second time in a month on Friday, killing 4 people and injuring 17 others.
- New hostility strikes Syria
May 09 2011 2:39 AM
Fresh spurt in clashes in the Syrian city of Homs witnessed more than 13 soldiers killed and more tanks were pressed into service to bring the situation under control.
- Referendum in Ecuador supports reforms
May 09 2011 2:39 AM
The referendum sought people's opinion on questions ranging from banning bullfighting to judicial and media reforms. The media services in Ecuador are also under the government.
- 3 arrested for Marrakesh blast
May 06 2011 6:42 AM
The blast in the Argana café that killed more than 15 foreigners included 10 French, two Canadian, a Dutch national and two Moroccans and injured a dozen others.
- France expels 14 Libyan diplomats loyal to Gaddafi
May 06 2011 5:28 AM
France's foreign ministry reported that the government has asked 14 diplomats loyal to Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi to leave the country within 48 hours.
- Syria rebels to observe Friday as the ‘Day of Defiance’
May 06 2011 3:54 AM
Syrian activists are planning to observe Friday as the day of protests similar to the day that was observed in Egypt two months ago.
- RaspBerry Pi unveils SD card-size personal computer priced $25
May 05 2011 11:43 PM
The Rspberry team, headed by David Braben, an expert in the field, is heading the team which hopes to sell the bare-bones device with features like 700MHz ARM11 processor, 128MB of RAM, and ports for video, removable media, and USB 2.0. Once connected to a mouse, keyboard, monitor, and wireless modem, one can begin surfing anywhere.
- Who was Geronimo?
May 05 2011 1:48 PM
Originally named Goyathlay or Goyahkla, he was involved in revenge attacks against the American and Mexican soldiers who had killed many of his family members during the Apache wars in the second half of the 19th century.
- How Freedom Riders made it 50 years ago?
May 05 2011 9:02 AM
Remembering the freedom struggle of the African Americans, the Freedom Riders celebrate their 50th anniversary, Oprah Winfrey’s show invited 178 of the original Freedom Riders to appear as special guests on May 4.
- Gaddafi troops strike Zintan, thousands leave Libya
May 04 2011 9:36 AM
Libya's army fired streams of rockets at the rebel-occupied Zintan, forcing thousands to flee the town to bordering Tunisia.