Articles by Nagesh Narayana
- UN Assembly suspends Libya from human rights council
March 02 2011 3:53 AM
The United Nations General Assembly suspended Libya from the Human Rights Council, expressing its deep concern over the killings of hundreds of anti-government protesters in the country.
- Full Text of UN Resolution imposing sanctions on Libya
February 27 2011 1:50 PM
The full text of resolution 1970 (2011) adopted by the UN Security Council on Feb. 26, 2011 imposing sanctions on Libya.
- UN Security Council imposes sanctions against Libya
February 27 2011 1:44 PM
The UN Security Council passed a resolution to impose sanctions against the Gaddafi-led Libyan government and initiate a probe against the bloody crackdown of anti-government protesters.
- North Korea warns South Korean groups against distributing leaflets
February 27 2011 8:04 AM
South Korea's distribution of leaflets by air in the North informing the public about the anti-government protests in the Middle East backfired on Sunday with Pyongyang warning direct firing across the border.
- UN human rights body recommends Libya's suspension
February 26 2011 4:23 AM
The United Nations Human Rights Council has unanimously recommended suspension of Libya from the Geneva-based body in response to bloody crackdown launched by the Libyan government on protesters.
- Chicago Election results: Former Obama aide Emanuel to be next mayor
February 22 2011 11:55 PM
Former White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel will be the next mayor of Chicago, winning more than 50 percent of the vote on Tuesday to avoid a run-off.
- 6.3-magnitude earthquake hits New Zealand, police suspect more fatalities
February 21 2011 11:51 PM
An earthquake measuring 6.3-magnitude hit New Zealand at 12:51 pm (2351 GMT) on Monday at a depth of 4 km, about 175 km northeast of Noumea, New Caledonia, said the U.S. Geological Survey.
- Kasab's death sentence upheld by High Court
February 21 2011 2:46 AM
The Bombay High Court has upheld the death sentence to Pakistani terrorist Ajmal Amir Kasab for involvement in the Nov. 26, 2008 terror attacks in Mumbai in which 166 people were killed
- Libya's powerful 'Thunderbolt' army unit defects
February 20 2011 10:48 PM
Libyan army's Thunderbolt squad had switched sides after days of violence that mark the most serious challenge to Gaddafi's 42-year rule, threatening Gaddafi's 42-year rule.
- Apple's Steve Jobs attends Obama's meeting with tech honchos
February 18 2011 12:53 AM
Apple's chief executive Steve Jobs, who is rumored to have been fighting terminal cancer, attended a meeting of tech honchos with President Barack Obama in the outskirts of San Francisco City on Thursday.
- After Egypt, protests shift to Algeria
February 13 2011 1:40 PM
Inspired by Egypt, at least 2,000 protesters broke the barriers set up around the May First Square in the capital city of Algiers on Saturday
- Egypt protests point to new Islamic Middle East, says Ahmadinejad
February 11 2011 10:45 AM
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Friday the Islamic Revolution in 1979 has become a 'global movement' in the Middle East referring to Egypt protests.
- Will US see friendly Egypt after Mubarak?
February 11 2011 3:46 AM
As both inside and outside pressure mounted on him, Egypt President Hosni Mubarak has apparently fled the country on Friday morning
- Pakistan ministers resign en-masse to help trim numbers
February 09 2011 11:07 AM
The 60-member team of Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has resigned en-masse on Wednesday to facilitate pruning of the cabinet which should not exceed 48 members as per the country's constitution.
- Thailand, Cambodia soldiers settle down near Preah Vihear temple pending talks
February 09 2011 6:36 AM
The border clashes between Thailand and Cambodia over Preah Vihear temple ended temporarily following the intervention of the ASEAN mediator on Wednesday.
- North Korea, South Korea hold talks to reduce tensions
February 08 2011 7:14 AM
Military brass of both South and North Koreas met on Tuesday morning almost two months after an artillery exchange that destroyed an island near Seoul.
- Will mice in new scanner replace body scanners at airports soon?
February 03 2011 9:41 AM
Move over TSA body scanners, very soon the mice will be seen lurking through passengers' luggage at airports, if the detector created by Israeli scientists passes through testing stage.
- Egypt: What to expect in Post-Mubarak Scenario?
February 01 2011 6:31 AM
The message on the wall is clear: Let Mubarak go and he may go sooner than later. It may be too early but inevitable to visualize a future scenario in Egypt.
- Clinton changes tone, supports Egyptians' right to chart their own future
January 30 2011 11:53 AM
The tone of US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has changed visibly on Sunday in her interview on the five morning TV news shows before leaving for Haiti. Stressing elections as a way out of the current impasse in Egypt, she said democracy is in the best interest of everyone, including the current government.
- 5.3-magnitude earthquake jolts New Zealand
January 28 2011 12:22 AM
A 5.3-magnitude earthquake struck North Island near Rotorua in New Zealand, said the US Geological Survey Thursday.