Articles by Nish Amarnath
- Chicago Bridge & Iron To Acquire The Shaw Group For $3B
July 30 2012 11:26 AM
Energy infrastructure company Chicago Bridge & Iron Company NV (NYSE: CBI) will buy The Shaw Group Inc. (NYSE: SHAW), a Baton Rouge, La.-based engineering and construction firm, for about $3 billion in cash and stock, the companies said Monday.
- Pfizer Earnings Preview: Profit Down On Falling Sales
July 30 2012 11:16 AM
Pfizer Inc. (NYSE: PFE), the world's largest drug developer by revenue, is expected to report a decline in second-quarter profits on declining sales of its top-selling cholesterol drug Lipitor and generic competition for its glaucoma pill Zalatan.
- US Retailers Dig Their Own Grave
July 29 2012 7:58 PM
The hefty $7.25 billion settlement that Visa and MasterCard have agreed to, in response to a 2005 class action lawsuit over credit card swipe fees, will disadvantage retailers further and restrict consumer spending in an economy that relies heavily on credit card use and personal expenditure.
- Skills Shortage And Immigration Restrictions Will Damage UK Economy, Officials Warn
July 29 2012 5:45 PM
The U.K. Home Office's hard-nosed line on immigration cuts new avenues for job growth and business investments, further jeopardizing an economy that is under the sway of a double-dip recession.
- Hong Kong Street Protests Against A New Chinese-Influenced Curriculum Plan Expose An Identity Crisis
July 29 2012 2:26 PM
Thousands of irate protesters swarmed over Hong Kong's thoroughfares on Sunday and marched toward government headquarters to lash out against a government-proposed school curriculum plan, which they said was an attempt to indoctrinate students by lauding the feats of the Chinese Communist Party.
- Why China Is Compounding The Woes Of A Sagging US Job Market
July 27 2012 1:05 PM
The influx of millions of conscientious and low-cost Chinese graduates in the global job market could exacerbate the woes of a U.S. job market that is already staggering from high unemployment.
- UPS, DuPont, TI - Latest To Trim Outlook After Q2 Earnings Reports
July 25 2012 7:27 PM
Global economic uncertainty and the dreaded fiscal cliff have taken a toll on American consumer demand, affecting second-quarter revenues and urging companies to dim their forecasts. DuPont and Co, Texas Instruments, Inc. and United Parcel Service, Inc. are the latest to do so.
- Merck Second-Quarter Earnings Preview: A Glimpse
July 25 2012 4:25 PM
Based on analyst estimates, Merck & Co. will report earnings of $1.01 a share on sales of about $12.16 billion -- an increase of 0.1 percent from the year-earlier quarter. The company posts its second-quarter earnings on Friday, before the opening bell.
- ExxonMobil Is Expected To Report Weak Earnings From Lower Gas Prices
July 24 2012 6:08 PM
Based on a median estimate among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters, ExxonMobil will report earnings of $1.96 a share on revenues of about $115.08 billion -- a decline of 8.3 percent from the year before. The company will post its second-quarter earnings on Thursday at 10 a.m. EDT.
- Wal-Mart Unhappy With $7.25B Settlement of Retailers' Suit Against Visa, MasterCard
July 24 2012 4:52 PM
Wal-Mart, in a bid to protect consumers, said it was not happy with the proposed $7.25 billion retailers' settlement with Visa Inc., and MasterCard Inc., over interchange and processing fees to cover credit and debit card payments.
- Will Latest State Jobs Figures Threaten Obama's Re-Election Prospects?
July 20 2012 10:54 PM
As U.S. President Barack Obama shifts the focus of his re-election campaign from joblessness to income inequality, unemployment has increased in more than one-half the country's states this year.
- Consumer Spending Will Increase By Small Amount This Year: Report
July 20 2012 2:07 PM
U.S. consumer spending will grow at a meager rate of 1.5 percent to 2 percent by the end of this year, Sterne Agee, a U.S. brokerage and investment firm said on Friday in a report.