Articles by Palash Ghosh
- Crimea's Tartars Caught In Conflict Between Russians And Ukrainians
February 26 2014 3:48 PM
The Tatars, a Turkic people and predominantly Muslim, ruled the Crimean peninsula before the Russian conquest.
- Shattered Glass Ceiling: Why Indian Female Executives Are Thriving In Its Banking Sector
February 26 2014 6:07 AM
State-owned banks headed by women control 45 percent of all of India's public sector bank deposits and 50 percent of all loans.
- Palestinian Man Reaches 125th Birthday; Despite Poverty, Displacement And Violence
February 25 2014 10:34 AM
Al Toum was born in 1889 when the decaying Ottoman Empire ruled much of the Middle East.
- Why The Saudis Are Seeking Pakistan's Arms For Syria's Rebels
February 24 2014 1:56 PM
Pakistan manufactures shoulder-launched anti-aircraft missiles, called Anza, which are based on a Chinese model.
- Turkey Denies Media Report Of Taliban Office In Ankara
February 24 2014 10:46 AM
In the past, Turkey has said it might be willing to establish an office for the Taliban.
- Medical Leave: Romanian Doctors Fleeing Poor Pay, Corruption
February 21 2014 11:39 AM
One of the factors behind this mass exodus relates to poor pay.
- Which Religion Is Growing Fastest In Ireland?
February 21 2014 5:58 AM
Muslims are projected to replace Protestantism as the second-most popular religion by the year 2043.
- In Saudi Arabia, A Move To Improve Indonesian Domestic Workers' Rights
February 20 2014 3:30 PM
Indonesia imposed a moratorium on sending more workers to the royal kingdom in August 2011.
- Among Ukraine's Many Problems - A Man Shortage
February 20 2014 12:32 PM
Ukraine has a deficit of almost 3.6 million men – with the average life expectancy for men now 62 years, a dozen years less than the corresponding figure for women.
- Martian Chronicles: Muslim Clerics Forbid Followers From Travelling To Red Planet
February 20 2014 9:14 AM
A Dutch company called Mars One asked for volunteers to fly to the planet and even live there in a permanent colony.
- Swara: In Pakistan, Young Girls Married To Older Men To Settle Debts, Disputes
February 20 2014 6:23 AM
Under Pakistani law, swara is illegal.
- Euromaidan: The Dark Shadows Of The Far Right In Ukraine Protests
February 19 2014 1:08 PM
Svoboda, an extreme right-wing political party, has representation in parliament and has been dubbed by its critics as a neo-Nazi organization.
- Could Leicester Become UK’s First Asian-Majority City?
February 19 2014 10:38 AM
Leicester has the highest proportion of Indians or British Asians anywhere in the country.
- Barney Miller: 40 Years Later, The Most Intelligent, Literate US Sitcom Ever
February 19 2014 6:21 AM
Barney Miller became a much admired and cherished piece of television history as one of the most intelligent and literate programs ever broadcast
- Banglastan: Do Hindus Have A Future In Bangladesh?
February 19 2014 6:19 AM
Prior to the 1971 war, Hindus comprised almost one-third (30 percent) of the population of what was then called East Pakistan.
- Why Are So Many Vietnamese People Named Nguyen?
February 18 2014 12:31 PM
Nguyen is the most common surname in Vietnam -- an estimated 40 percent of people in the country (and the Vietnamese diaspora) carry that name.
- Why Bangladesh's Migrant Cash Remittances Keep Declining
February 18 2014 10:57 AM
The central bank projected that remittances will fall 4 percent for the whole fiscal year.
- Pakistan's Hindus Outraged By Forced Conversions Of Girls To Islam
February 17 2014 1:54 PM
The problems faced by Pakistan's minorities are "multiplying instead of decreasing".
- Indian Journalist Charged With Rape - Is Tarun Tejpal Victim Of A Conspiracy?
February 17 2014 10:51 AM
Tejpal, 50, is an “influential journalist” with a “reputation for taking on the powerful.”
- Kenya Seeks To Stem HIV By Massive Condom Distribution
February 15 2014 10:52 AM
About 9.1 percent of married couples have HIV/AIDS, well above the national rate of 5.6 percent.