Articles by Palash Ghosh
- India Baby Plan - Encouraging Parents To Abandon Their Daughters?
December 03 2013 1:19 PM
In Tamil Nadu, as in virtually all other parts of India, female offspring are considered a financial burden.
- New York City's Camelot: The Legacy Of Mayor John V. Lindsay
December 03 2013 6:31 AM
John Lindsay emerged on the national scene in the mid-1960s, as New York City found itself in the vortex of myriad urban ills.
- Peaceful Iceland Records Its First Fatal Police Shooting
December 02 2013 3:56 PM
Iceland has one of the lowest crime rates in the world, including a near absence of gun violence.
- World AIDS Day: HIV Infection Rates Plunging In India, But Many Have No Access To Anti-Retroviral Drugs
December 02 2013 12:49 PM
In deeply conservative and tradition-based Indian society, people carrying the deadly virus are often ostracized and mistreated.
- Happy Thankskilling: Morrissey Savages Obama In Letter To President
November 27 2013 11:59 AM
British musician Morrissey is a renowned vegetarian.
- The Daunting Challenges For Pakistan's New Army Chief
November 27 2013 10:55 AM
Raheel’s selection was somewhat of a surprise, as Nawaz ignored the front-runner, Lieutenant General Haroon Aslam.
- Chinese Pressure Uighur Muslims In Xinjiang To Abandon Veils, Beards
November 27 2013 7:15 AM
Muslim Uighurs, the largest ethnic group in Xinjiang province, have expressed their resentment over efforts by the state to alter their physical appearance.
- French Jews Flee Anti-Semitism, Muslim Extremism
November 26 2013 11:04 AM
A European Union report indicated many European Jews try to hide their identity.
- Bangladesh Election Set, But Opposition Demands Postponement
November 25 2013 6:11 PM
Opposition leaders are demanding PM Sheikh Hasina resign and form an impartial caretaker government to oversee the election.
- Norskrasisme: Tweets By Somali Student Triggers Discussions About Racism In Norway
November 25 2013 1:41 PM
Norway’s immigrant population has jumped to about 547,000 (11 percent of the total) from about 186,000 (4.3 percent) in 1995.
- Slovakia’s Neo-Nazi Governor - Only Latest of E. Europe Right-Wing Extremists
November 25 2013 10:35 AM
Kotleba's organization has long agitated against Slovakia’s Roma (Gypsy) minority, branding them as “parasites."
- John F. Kennedy Welcomed India’s Jawaharlal Nehru To U.S. In November 1961
November 22 2013 2:44 PM
John F. Kennedy welcomes Indian Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru at Andrews Air Force Base, for an official state visit
- How A Young Irish Group From Liverpool Helped Saved The World From Sorrow
November 22 2013 1:23 PM
On the day JFK died, The Beatles released their second album.
- JFK, Jackie, Nehru, Indira, Chinese Nuclear Strike, Goa And Saris
November 22 2013 11:53 AM
Kennedy had a number of important dealings with India at a particularly critical juncture in the South Asian nation’s history.
- No Gypsies Please: Sweden Sues Statoil For Discriminating Against Roma
November 22 2013 7:04 AM
About 120,000 Roma live in Sweden.
- Balochistan, Pakistan: Where Children Work, And Do Not Attend School
November 21 2013 11:32 AM
More than 2.3 million Baloch children, out of a total of 3.6 million school-age youths in the province, do not go to school.
- What Italians Want Most - Employment
November 21 2013 6:24 AM
Italy’s unemployment rate reached 12.5 percent in September as the nation remains mired in the longest recession since WWII.
- No Direction Home: Afghan Refugees Face Bleak Future In Iran
November 20 2013 11:37 AM
Officials allege that some two-thirds of the Afghans in Iran are illegal immigrants.
- Google Ad Evoking Partition Separation A Big Hit In India, Pakistan
November 19 2013 2:03 PM
A new ad promoting Google Search evokes one of the bloodiest and most devastating episodes of South Asian history.
- Despite Tragedy, Island Resort Increasingly Popular With Travelers From China
November 19 2013 11:11 AM
Chinese are now second only to Australians in the number of visitors to Bali.