Articles by Palash Ghosh
- Down In Front: Why I Dread And Loathe Going To The Cinema
December 11 2013 1:05 PM
I simply cannot stand going to the movie theatres of the early 21 century.
- 11% Pay Hike For British MPs? David Cameron Says No Way
December 11 2013 12:28 PM
IPSA will formally release its recommendations on MP compensation on Thursday.
- India’s Supreme Court Criminalizes Gay Sex: Activists Outraged, Vent On Social Media
December 11 2013 9:57 AM
India's top court has essentially criminalized homosexuality again, by upholding an colonial-era law.
- Fin De Siècle: The End Of Western European Civilization, Power And Culture?
December 11 2013 6:35 AM
France, in particular -- long the center of all things European – has found itself in the unenviable position of looking backwards to its fading glories.
- India-Pakistan Nuclear War Could Kill 2 Billion, 'End Civilization'
December 10 2013 2:07 PM
There are at least 17,000 nuclear warheads around the world.
- Rare Riot Shows Ugly Underside Of Singapore
December 10 2013 12:47 PM
In a state of some 5.4 million people, migrant workers now account for about one-fourth of the total population.
- Nelson Mandela Memorial - President Obama’s Speech (FULL-TEXT)
December 10 2013 10:12 AM
U.S. President Barack Obama delivered the following speech at a memorial for former South African president Nelson Mandela at Johannesburg
- Dhaka On The Hudson: Bangladeshis Find Opportunity, Challenges In NYC
December 10 2013 6:17 AM
Bangladeshis in NYC are entrepreneurial, but are burdened with poverty, poor language skills and substandard housing.
- Mike Ditka: An American Icon And Hero
December 09 2013 2:30 PM
"Mike Ditka embodies the spirit of everything the Bears are about," said Bears chairman George H. McCaskey.
- Political Corruption In Uganda: It's Never Been Worse
December 09 2013 11:20 AM
Ugandan MPs voted to raise their salaries by 38 percent – to more than $8,000 per month (in a country with an annual per capita income of about $550).
- Strangers In A Strange Land: Sri Lankans In Staten Island
December 09 2013 9:47 AM
Over the past dozen years or so, the Sri Lankan population in Staten Island has increased by more than sixfold.
- Hungarian Far-Right Jobbik Party Embraces Muslim Nations
December 06 2013 12:43 PM
Jobbik snagged one-sixth of the popular vote, granting them 47 out of the 386 seats in the National Assembly, making them the third-largest party in Hungary
- South Asia Mourns Passing Of South Africa’s Anti-Apartheid Icon
December 06 2013 12:06 PM
Mandela had a long association with Indians and Indian people stretching back to his early days as an anti-apartheid activist.
- Bollywood’s Popularity Rising In North And South Korea
December 06 2013 5:20 AM
Bollywood actors including Shah Rukh Khan, Salman Khan and Aamir Khan have become well known on the Korean peninsula.
- The Indian Woman Mandela Loved And Almost Married
December 05 2013 5:13 PM
Mandela proposed to Amina Cachalia, an Indian anti-apartheid and women’s rights activist, soon after he divorced Winnie Madikizela-Mandela.
- Why Australia's Beef Exporters Really Like South Korea
December 05 2013 12:17 PM
Total bilateral trade between South Korea and Australia amounted to about $29 billion last year.
- Swedish Police Keep Secret Files On Roma (Gypsy) People: Fighting Crime Or Ethnic Profiling?
December 04 2013 1:52 PM
Roma in Sweden suffer from high unemployment (80 percent), poor education, substandard housing and social isolation and deprivation.
- Pakistani Man In Dubai Kills Daughters, Himself Over Financial Debts
December 04 2013 11:00 AM
The majority of people in the UAE are foreign migrant workers, principally from India, Pakistan and The Philippines
- Neo-Nazi Threatens To Kidnap Crown Princess Of Belgium
December 03 2013 4:03 PM
Elisabeth is destined to one day become the queen herself, as she is first in the line of succession.
- India Baby Plan - Encouraging Parents To Abandon Their Daughters?
December 03 2013 1:19 PM
In Tamil Nadu, as in virtually all other parts of India, female offspring are considered a financial burden.