Articles by Palash Ghosh
- The East African Connection: Tanzania Holds Iranians, Pakistanis In Huge Heroin Bust
February 05 2014 2:37 PM
Some Tanzanians are also suspected of involvement in the drug trade.
- Is India Really A Democracy?
February 05 2014 12:06 PM
Indian politicians – amid a seemingly endless stream of corruption scandals – appear to have sacrificed ideology for personal gain.
- Why Is Indian Media So Obsessed With Acronyms And Abbreviations?
February 05 2014 5:49 AM
For the uninitiated, reading an Indian newspaper, magazine or government publication could become quite daunting.
- Trader Joe's Pulls Out Of Poor Portland Neighborhood
February 04 2014 1:49 PM
In stark contrast to its image as a liberal bastion, Portland has a long history of gentrification.
- Battling Stallions: China’s Miao Ethnic Group Celebrate New Year With Medieval-Era Horse Fights
February 04 2014 11:12 AM
Horse-fighting is part of the ancient tradition of the Miao ethnic group that has survived into the 21st century.
- The Illegal And Profitable Cattle-Smuggling Trade Between India And Bangladesh
February 04 2014 9:59 AM
Four men suspected of cattle-rustling were burned to death by a rival criminal gang in West Bengal near the Bangladesh border.
- McDonald’s vs. Elderly Koreans In Queens, New York: Culture Clash Or Lesson in Customer Etiquette?
February 03 2014 1:11 PM
Many elderly Koreans in New York City are poor and isolated from the rest of society.
- New Delhi Raid Exposes Racial Tensions Between African Immigrants And Indians
February 03 2014 9:52 AM
A group of African women in India said they were attacked by a mob of Indian vigilantes as tensions rose.
- Microsoft's New CEO Underscores Rise Of Indians In US High Tech
February 01 2014 8:47 AM
Satya Nadella is now the most powerful Indian-born tech executive in the world.
- NY State Plans To Exterminate Mute Swans, Calling Them ‘Invasive Species’
January 31 2014 11:30 AM
New York determined that wild mute swans are a “prohibitive invasive species” who pose a grave threat to humans, to other creatures and their habitats.
- Can Software Tycoon Vivek Ranadive Make The NBA Popular In India?
January 31 2014 9:20 AM
The NBA has turned its eyes toward another huge (but largely untapped) Asian market -– India and its 1.2 billion people.
- Bangladesh Sentences Islamist Leader To Hang For Helping Separatists
January 30 2014 10:57 AM
The trial comprised the country’s biggest weapons case ever and conducted under extremely tight security.
- Can This Indian-American Become California Governor?
January 30 2014 6:28 AM
Neel Kashkari boasts an impressive résumé, including, top-line U.S. Treasury Department work under Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama.
- India Upholds Gay Sex Ban; Female Pol Blames Women For Rape
January 29 2014 11:31 AM
By refusing to review the existing ban in the books, gay sex remains illegal in the world’s largest democracy.
- Why Do Americans Say 'You Know' And 'Like' So Often?
January 29 2014 7:05 AM
Verbal skills are in serious decline in the United States and elsewhere.
- How To Save Memories Of The Traumatic Birth Of India And Pakistan
January 29 2014 6:54 AM
The partition of ‘British’ India in August 1947 resulted in one of the greatest forced migrations in human history
- Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari Calls For Pakistan Army To Crack Down On Taliban, As Malala Book Fair Cancelled
January 28 2014 2:53 PM
Bilawal said that virtually the length and breadth of Pakistan are now vulnerable to terrorist attacks.
- Expats Face Challenges Finding Work In United Arab Emirates
January 28 2014 12:34 PM
After posting a 4.6 percent economic expansion last year, the UAE is projected to deliver similar growth in 2014.
- What If The Super Bowl Celebration Rivaled The World Cup?
January 28 2014 11:09 AM
Civic and business leaders in New York and North Jersey are expecting the Super Bowl to inject at least $500 million into the local economy.
- Fool’s Gold: California Has The Highest Poverty Rate In US
January 28 2014 6:30 AM
With an annual GDP of some $1.9 trillion, California ranks as the eighth largest economy in the world (roughly similar to the economic output of India or Italy).