Articles by Palash Ghosh
- Please No Blue Jeans Or Tight Dresses, We’re Pakistani
September 27 2013 5:45 AM
The atmosphere on campus is very strict, since most of the top administrative officials are former army officers.
- Blasphemous And Contrary To Islam: Pakistan Bans Nation’s First Gay Website
September 26 2013 2:00 PM
Homosexuality is illegal in Pakistan and those who are convicted of engaging in same-sex practices can be sent to jail for up to life.
- Soft Targets: Kenya Mall Shooting Raises Fears Of Similar Atrocities In India
September 26 2013 12:45 PM
Indian shopping centers have already increased security efforts since the 2008 attacks in Mumbai.
- From Senegal To The Bundestag: Meet Germany’s First-Ever Black MPs
September 26 2013 10:48 AM
Immigrants and their descendants lag in terms of political representation in Germany.
- Kenyan Shopping Mall Terror Attack: Were Indians Targeted?
September 26 2013 5:46 AM
Between 70,000 and 100,000 people of Indian origin -- constituting less than 1 percent of the population -- live in Kenya.
- Move To Let Convicted Pols Stay In Office Outrages India
September 25 2013 10:52 AM
At least one-fourth of all of Indian federal and state MPs in office currently face criminal charges.
- Kurdistan Election: Who Are The Players? What Are The Stakes?
September 25 2013 5:51 AM
What makes the political climate in Kurdistan so unusual is that it is not a fully independent sovereign nation.
- President Barack Obama’s Speech Before United Nations General Assembly
September 24 2013 2:23 PM
Here is a transcript of the remarks made by President Obama before the UN General Assembly on Tuesday, Sept. 24.
- We Won't Meet With Iran's President Rouhani: US Persian Jews
September 24 2013 10:50 AM
Speculation is rising that Rouhani could potentially meet with U.S. President Barack Obama, at least briefly.
- Mariano Rivera, Yankee Stadium And Me: How Baseball Represents The Best And Worst Of American Culture
September 23 2013 12:54 PM
The last time I attended a game at Yankee Stadium George H. W. Bush was president.
- Peshawar Church Bombings - Christians In Pakistan Facing Bleak Future
September 23 2013 10:50 AM
Christians, like Hindus and Sikhs, form a tiny minority of Pakistan’s 180 million population.
- Guess Who’s Coming To The UN? Iran Bringing Sole Jewish MP To New York
September 23 2013 8:44 AM
Under the 1906 constitution of Iran, Jews are allowed one reserved seat in parliament, a practice that continued even after the 1979 Revolution.
- Face It, America, Indians Are Just Smarter, More Successful (And Better Looking) Than You
September 21 2013 11:58 AM
I viewed Ms. Davuluri’s triumph as a watershed event for the now 3.3-million-strong “Desi” community in the U.S.
- UK May Ban Smoking In Prisons: Will It Improve Health Or Cause Riots?
September 20 2013 1:08 PM
At present, prisoners can light up only in the confines of their cells, not in the exercise yards or other ”open” areas.
- Nyaope: Cheap Drug Cocktail Ravaging Black Townships of South Africa
September 20 2013 11:39 AM
Nyaope has become an integral part of many township-dwellers’ daily lives.
- Japan May Help South India Build High-Speed Rail System
September 20 2013 5:49 AM
Japan will send a trade and technical delegation to Bangalore shortly to discuss the project.
- Another ‘Honor Killing’ In India: This One Even Features A Beheading
September 19 2013 1:14 PM
Honor killings are widespread in India
- Humayun’s Tomb, Or ‘Little Taj Mahal,’ Reopens After 6-Year Restoration Project
September 19 2013 11:33 AM
The tomb was originally designed by the Persian architect Mirak Mirza Ghiyas.
- Sukarno, Suharto, Megawati: Why Do Some Indonesians Have Only One Name?
September 19 2013 9:40 AM
The naming customs in Indonesia can be quite complex and confusing.
- Hyper-Sexualization Of Minors: France Seeks to Ban Child Beauty Pageants
September 18 2013 1:32 PM
Under the proposed legislation, organizers of such outlawed pageants would face prison sentences of up to two years and a fine of 30,000 euros