Articles by Philip Ross
- Ice Covers 88% Of Great Lakes; NASA Image Shows Big Freeze
February 22 2014 7:39 PM
The last time the world’s largest group of freshwater lakes was frozen to this extent was in 1994.
- Beijing Smog Alert Hits Orange For First Time
February 22 2014 6:00 PM
Beijing faces some of its worst air pollution ever, but will the government take real action?
- Endangered Whale Gets ‘Fighting Chance’ [VIDEO]
February 22 2014 4:04 PM
Encounters with fishing gear and commercial ships an ongoing danger to whale population.
- Lemurs On The Verge Of Extinction, Primate Is 'Collateral Damage' Of 2009 Political Crisis In Madagascar
February 22 2014 2:47 PM
The puppy-eyed primates are particularly vulnerable following political turmoil following a 2009 military-led coup.
- Nun Sentenced To 3 Years For Breaking Into Nuke Complex
February 19 2014 7:20 PM
Megan Rice, 84, was arrested in 2012 for breaking into a nuclear weapons complex and vandalizing it with human blood.
- Artificial ‘Leaf’ May Be Answer To Clean Energy
February 19 2014 5:40 PM
Scientists may be one step closer to achieving cheaper and cleaner hydrogen production. A group of U.S. engineers has designed an artificial means of using solar energy to convert water into hydrogen and oxygen using an artificial “leaf.”
- Do Extreme Weather Images Affect Climate Change Effort? Photos Make Viewers Apathetic, Report Says
February 19 2014 3:47 PM
Images of extreme weather are ubiquitous in media and paint a picture of a dire end for Earth. But new research into the effects these photographs have on viewers’ minds suggests such brutal images might actually hinder climate change action.
- What Can Calico Cats Teach Us About Obesity? Feline Genetics Shed Light On How To ‘Turn Off’ Fat Gene
February 18 2014 4:36 PM
Researchers are exploring ways that feline genetics -- specifically those that control for female calico cats' unique coloring -- can help scientists identify certain patterns in sex-linked genetic diseases like obesity.
- 8-Foot Octopus Wrestles Diver Off Calif. Coast, Rare Encounter Caught On Camera [VIDEO]
February 18 2014 2:50 PM
Two divers were diving off the coast of California when a giant Pacific octopus lunged at their camera. See the video of the close encounter here.
- Chicago: $18 Billion Plan To Fight Asian Carp
February 18 2014 12:02 PM
The city is considering several plans to keep an invasive species of fish from overrunning the Great Lakes.
- Study Warns Loneliness May Shorten Your Life
February 17 2014 7:30 PM
Researchers studying the effects of loneliness on a person’s health found that those who consistently feel disconnected from others are 19 percent more likely to die early.
- Magma Temp May Help Predict Volcanic Eruptions
February 17 2014 6:27 PM
New research into how magma is stored below volcanoes suggests that much of the magma sits in a near-solid state for thousands of years and liquefies only before an eruption.
- What Is Fentanyl? Pain Killer Found In ‘Lethal’ Heroin Concoction Kills Dozens Across Eastern U.S.
February 17 2014 4:24 PM
A new and dangerous form of heroin is killing dozens of people across the eastern U.S. Dubbed “killer heroin,” the drug is spiked with fentanyl, a powerful synthetic opiate used to treat people with chronic pain.
- ‘Barbaric’ Killing Of Sea Otters Prompts Reward Offer
February 17 2014 2:27 PM
California authorities are on the hunt for the person responsible for fatally shooting three sea otters and are offering a $21,000 reward for information that leads to the culprit.
- The 'Science Guy' And Tenn. Congresswoman Tackle Climate Change On 'Meet The Press'
February 16 2014 7:05 PM
On the heels of Secretary of State John Kerry’s warning about climate change, Bill Nye the “Science Guy” and Tennessee congresswoman Marsha Blackburn went head-to-head on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”
- Brutal Winter Caused By Changing Jet Stream
February 16 2014 5:29 PM
Scientists say warming Arctic temperatures are to blame for this especially frigid winter.
- ‘Snake Salvation’ Star Jamie Coots Dies From Snake Bite
February 16 2014 3:56 PM
The Pentecostal pastor and star of National Geographic’s 'Snake Salvation' died Saturday night after refusing treatment.
- ‘Orange Is The New Black’ Season 2 Premiere: New Trailer Reveals Who's Back When Netflix Series Returns June 6 [VIDEO]
February 16 2014 2:01 PM
The official “Orange Is The New Black” season 2 premiere date has been released, along with a new teaser trailer to wet our appetites. The hit Netflix original series returns Friday, June 6.
- NASA Spacecraft Discovers Strange Magnetic ‘Ribbon’ At Edge Of Solar System
February 15 2014 6:58 PM
Scientists from NASA have uncovered a strange magnetic field surrounding our solar system, shedding new light on our mysterious boundary with the heliosphere.
- 44-Year-Old ‘Stone Baby’ Found In Elderly Brazilian Woman’s Stomach, X-Rays Reveal ‘Face, Ribs And Spine’ Of Fetus
February 15 2014 3:48 PM
An 84-year-old woman from the state of Tocantins went to the hospital with stomach pains, only to find out she was carrying a 44-year-old “stone baby.”