Articles by Philip Ross
- Space Dust Possible Source Of Water On Moon And Maybe Even Life On Other Planets
January 25 2014 12:27 PM
The source of water on the Moon has long eluded scientists, but new research into the ability of interplanetary dust to form water suggests the Moon’s water may have come from outer space.
- 4,500-Year-Old ‘Garbage’ From Ancient Egyptian Mansion Reveals Elites’ Luxurious Taste
January 23 2014 5:14 PM
Archeologists studying the ruins of a 4,500-year-old Egyptian mansion are finding clues about how ancient Egypt’s upper echelon lived.
- 'Ghost Ship' Full Of Cannibal Rats Headed For UK Coast, Where Will Lyubov Orlova Make Landfall?
January 23 2014 2:30 PM
An abandoned Russian ship whose only passengers are thousands of hungry, disease-ridden rats is headed for the UK mainland. The Lyubov Orlova, dubbed the “ghost ship,” has been adrift at sea for 12 months.
- Fetus Of Marlise Munoz ‘Deformed,’ Family Of Brain Dead Texas Mom In ‘Absolute Anguish’ As Daughter Remains On Life Support
January 23 2014 1:16 PM
The fetus of a Texas woman who has been kept on life support against her will is “deformed,” according to a statement from the family’s attorney.
- Strange, ‘Scaly’ Sea Creature Found Off New Zealand Coast Not So Bizarre After All
January 22 2014 7:18 PM
A fisherman in New Zealand had a bizarre catch, but it turned out to be something quite common.
- Can Taking Pain Relievers Spread Flu Virus Faster?
January 22 2014 4:12 PM
Fever-relieving medicine can encourage the virus to continue thriving in the body.
- Eye Movement And Personality Trait Linked
January 22 2014 3:13 PM
What does your eye movement say about you? Apparently, quite a bit, at least when it comes to how patient or impatient you are.
- How Fish Fins Evolved Into Mammal Limbs
January 22 2014 2:09 PM
Scientists have long speculated about the origin of mammalian limbs, but a new study sheds light on the mystery of how life on Earth got its legs.
- Is Too Much Sitting Hazardous For Your Health? Study Finds Heart Failure 52 Percent More Likely In Sedentary Men
January 21 2014 8:19 PM
A new study highlights the hazards posed to your health when you sit too much.
- Severe El Niño Weather To ‘Double’ As Climate Change Continues To Warm Planet, Study Finds
January 21 2014 6:44 PM
Scientists predict extreme El Niño events are likely to double in the next few decades.
- Extinction Threatens 1 In 4 Shark And Ray Species
January 21 2014 5:59 PM
New analysis of our oceans projects a dire future for our Earth’s shark and ray populations. A study conducted over the past twenty years found that one-quarter of all shark and ray species face extinction within the next few decades.
- NASA Sends 800 Ants To Space To Study Behavior In Low-Gravity
January 21 2014 2:24 PM
NASA’s “Ants in Space” program is aimed at establishing a colony of ants on the ISS. Scientists have sent 800 ants into space in order to study how the little critters react in low-gravity environments.
- Did Fish Oil Help Grant Virgin Recover From A Coma?
January 19 2014 3:57 PM
A California teen nearly killed in a hit-and-run accident last year has made an amazing recovery, due in part to a therapy involving fish oil.
- Zakieya Latrice Avery, Maryland Mother Stabbed Her Children To Death Performing An 'Exorcism'
January 19 2014 2:36 PM
Two other children, siblings of the two who were killed, are in serious condition.
- Chimpanzee Hand Gestures May Be Step Toward Language
January 18 2014 7:56 PM
Scientists have found that chimpanzees use hand gestures to achieve shared goals. Scientists believe the study could provide clues about the basics of language development.
- New Species Of Sea Anemone Found In Antarctica, Mysterious Edwardsiella Andrillae Lives Upside Down Under Ice
January 18 2014 5:55 PM
Scientists exploring the Ross Ice Shelf, Antarctica’s largest floating body of ice, stumbled on a new species of sea anemone. Edwardsiella andrillae was found dangling in the sea water hundreds of feet below the ice shelf.
- ‘Bio-Bot’ An 'Exciting Advance’ In Self-Propelled Robots [VIDEO]
January 18 2014 3:34 PM
The microscopic biological machine that swims like a sperm will one day explore and treat the interior of the human body.
- Why A Rough Surface Could Save Energy On Ships
January 18 2014 1:50 PM
We think of smooth surfaces as best for skimming through water with ease. But new research suggests otherwise.
- Erick Munoz, Husband Of Pregnant Wife On Life Support, Sues Fort Worth Hospital
January 15 2014 6:03 PM
The husband of a brain-dead pregnant woman who was kept on life support despite her family’s wishes is suing the hospital where she has been since November.
- Why Do Birds Fly In ‘V’ Formations? New Research Points To ‘Remarkable Awareness’ Of Aerodynamics
January 15 2014 3:07 PM
The familiar “V” formation of birds has long baffled scientists who, aside from theories, had little evidence to support exactly why it is birds benefit from the distinct arrangement. A new study from the UK sheds light on the age-old mystery surrounding birds peculiar flight formation.